User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camco / Rhino Portable Tote Tank - Beware of Issues

I bought the Camco Rhino 21 gallon tank at Walmart April of 2020 during the 15 days to flatten the curve days, ha, ha. The tank had a small leak at the seam on the end. I should have returned it to Walmart but opted to repair myself with silicone. It worked for awhile but then started to crack badly.

The tank is designed to be turned on end to dump but not strong enough to handle the weight, hence the cracking failure.

I have written Camco customer service and will see what they will do if anything. Beware of this tank. Also, many have reported the wheels falling off during transport.

All of these situations involve sewage leakage which is unsanitary and unpleasant.

I will report back what response I get from Camco.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8656.JPEG 
Views:	21 
Size:	823.5 KB 
ID:	43003

Name:	IMG_8658.JPEG 
Views:	18 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	43004

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for future reference, those tanks are usually made of ABS plastic. It takes a special cement and silicone sealant won't adhere to it well at all.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camco / Rhino Portable Tote Tank - Beware of Issues

Mine has worked perfect for many years. I keep it out of the sun and vents open so it doesn’t expand and possibly crack
    My wheel did fall apart this season but an email to Camco and they quickly sent out a replacement kit after I sent my receipt
    Great customer service
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also to be noted is that Camco had issues with these wheels and how they were held onto the shaft. This got corrected in 2021, and all tanks produced after that date have been rectified. We got ours after that date and it has been flawless. Ours is the 28 gal. The wheels on these Rhino tanks are much bigger than many of the competitor tanks, and they roll quite nicely.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got our 36-gallon Rhino tank in 2020 and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked well. Ours has the larger wheels so towing is fairly easy. Also, drainage doesn't require lifting so no problems there either. The tank seems pretty heavy duty but time will tell.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    We got our 36-gallon Rhino tank in 2020 and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked well. Ours has the larger wheels so towing is fairly easy. Also, drainage doesn't require lifting so no problems there either. The tank seems pretty heavy duty but time will tell.
    Yes, the no lifting part is an important advantage. My 21 gallon tank has to be lifted on its end. The weight on the end is undoubtedly making mine crack. It is NOT strong enough on that end to support the weight although it is intended be used that way. With your model, as long as you keep this covered so sunlight will not shorten the lifespan. Thanks for pointing out the drainage feature.

Stay tuned for further updates hopefully from Camco.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiMan1776 View Post
    Yes, the no lifting part is an important advantage. My 21 gallon tank has to be lifted on its end. The weight on the end is undoubtedly making mine crack. It is NOT strong enough on that end to support the weight although it is intended be used that way. With your model, as long as you keep this covered so sunlight will not shorten the lifespan. Thanks for pointing out the drainage feature.

Stay tuned for further updates hopefully from Camco.
    UPDATE: Camco is sending me out a new tank. However, beware of standing the tank on end and letting the full weight to bear. I will try and sell this one and upgrade to the side discharge larger model.

I want to give Camco customer service for prompt service and backing and standing up behind their products.

I did get this response regarding the design:

That end plate has been redesigned to be stronger since you bought that tank.

Thanks,

Chris Phillips

Product Technical Support
    Last edited by ReiMan1776; 09-14-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great support. Thanks for heads up. I have same tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to my 36 gallon tote, it was out of warranty but Camco stood behind the product and swapped it out for free, with no warranty on the replacement (I’m okay with that). My advice would be leave the vent cap cracked, I think pressure was building up with the temperature swings and seam is the weak point. Mine is stored outside but under the camper cover so out of sunlight.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ReiMann1776

We've had the trusty old blue 25 gallon tote tank made by Barker for about 15 years. I like the separate side drain valve and the removable handle. Ours is slightly different than the one below... we have hard rubber wheels with plastic hubs and also no pop-up gauge to show it's full. It's a great tank and takes a beating. The only thing I had to replace was one front wheel that cracked when my full tank came off of the tow ball and rolled down an
    embankment and flipped upside down into a creek bank at a Pa State Park. The rest of the tank was unscathed and nothing spilled out.... I was lucky!

Name:	Screenshot_20220925-073748_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	43195

https://www.campingworld.com/barker-...n-100606.html?
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar