User Tag List

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD Momentum 397 v Vanleigh Ambition v DRV LX455?

We are three seasons deep in our 351m and overall have been happy with the unit. We have a firm/signed retirement date Oct '23 and we will likely travel more than our current 80-90 nights a year. We have been looking at new rigs just a tick bigger than our current Momentum. We'd like a dinette of some sort in the next RV where we could sit comfortably to eat, work, etc. We met last year in Tampa with Luxe and NH, and while they are very nice, we just can't bring ourselves to spend that kind of money on an RV. We like the GD Momentum 397, Fullhouse LX455 and plan to look at a VanLeigh Ambition 399 this Wednesday. The Tiffin unit is the one we know very little about. They look very nice, but their website provides little insight into the actual structural components supporting the 399. It weighs approximately 1000lbs more than the GD 397, but 3k less than the DRV LX455. I don't know if this means it sits in the middle of the two as far as the weight of the foundational elements. That may be a naive guesstimate? While there are a couple of negative comments on some boards, there are also some youtube videos very complimentary of the VanLeigh 399. Does anyone here have any experience with the Tiffin fifth wheels? We like the LX455 as well. Last week I submitted a question on the DRV website about the LX455 and the next day an actual live human being called me back. He'd been with the company almost 20 years, pre and post sale, and was able to address a ton a questions we had. He also told me we could work with their engineers to delete the sofa and add theater seats and a dinette. He was very informative, polite and patient. This left me feeling pretty good about DRV/Fullhouse, but it should be noted the LX455 is $30-40k more than the 399. Any thoughts from folks with experience in these units would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    AP
    Last edited by KIMandALLEN1988; 09-12-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, you're comparing Apples and oranges in that you're comparing a mass, volume produced coach - the Momentum - to two low production, semi-custom builders. Both semi-custom shops have higher overall build quality. Not every detail but overall. None are flawless, and all use a lot of the same components and parts. You also mentioned Luxe was too expensive, but in the same breath are considering two units in a very similar price bracket. I would suggest soliciting input broadly from the Escapee and HDT forums because of the cross-section running these coaches. Do also pay close attention to differences in frame and running gear and how you will spend your retirement travels and, of course where these land with your tow vehicle. All that said, I'm in the camp of waiting till further out of the pandemic-induced crunch where prices level, dealers deal, and production slows so there's a touch more care in building. YMMV.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So funny, we're doing similar comparisons. Here's my writeup on the DRV, overall, not a chance at the price they are asking. Too many compromises, way too many easily observable corners cut (you'll see them in the pictures). There were some very nice features, but, at 2-3X the cost, I don't want some wins and some losses, I want all wins. And the construction of the DRV really set me for a loop. Honestly, in a lot of fit/finish areas, GD has them beat.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...hat-do-you-get

We're going to go see a Luxe this winter down in Tampa; I'm hoping that'll be "the one".

Like you, a dinette is a "must have" for us on the next one. Table/chairs are an "absolutely no, even if it's free". I cannot understand why dinettes have fallen out of favor, but if you want one, your options get VERY limited. Luxe has a model with a great dinette in it; drawers under each small bench, perfect for 2 people (it's just my wife and I). I was SO hoping that the new GD design by Chad and Tara would have a dinette but, alas.. No dice. I'm also trying to figure out where Luxe gets the dinette they install; perhaps I could retro it into another model; that would greatly open up our options.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    So funny, we're doing similar comparisons. Here's my writeup on the DRV, overall, not a chance at the price they are asking. Too many compromises, way too many easily observable corners cut (you'll see them in the pictures). There were some very nice features, but, at 2-3X the cost, I don't want some wins and some losses, I want all wins. And the construction of the DRV really set me for a loop. Honestly, in a lot of fit/finish areas, GD has them beat.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...hat-do-you-get

We're going to go see a Luxe this winter down in Tampa; I'm hoping that'll be "the one".

Like you, a dinette is a "must have" for us on the next one. Table/chairs are an "absolutely no, even if it's free". I cannot understand why dinettes have fallen out of favor, but if you want one, your options get VERY limited. Luxe has a model with a great dinette in it; drawers under each small bench, perfect for 2 people (it's just my wife and I). I was SO hoping that the new GD design by Chad and Tara would have a dinette but, alas.. No dice. I'm also trying to figure out where Luxe gets the dinette they install; perhaps I could retro it into another model; that would greatly open up our options.
    IMO, do not bother with Luxe at the show. When you can be in Indiana, go right to the RV Factory. I also recommend you request the tour with the production manager and not the sales folks. All of Luxe's cabinetry is made by a contract woodworker. The factory has a carpentry shop for stick built items as well.

Unfortunately, if you're discerning Luxe is not going to be all wins... Plenty of compromises as well, but they can do more customization than DRV provided you can meet the payment terms and wait...

If you want all wins, you're leaving Indiana builders altogether... New Horizons is the next price jump for a towable, and the ultimate will be SpaceCraft.

If GD is meeting the dollar-to-value, then compare against FR Riverstone.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neighbors of ours in Florida have a 2014 DRV one of the last years before Thor bought them out. We all went to the Tampa RV show and when they saw the DRV's they were quite disappointed. They could see a lot of changes in construction and they weren't good changes.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great comments. I'm curious to see which product you end up with Overtaxed. Complicating things are the price structures on these units. They may not be "apples to apples" but their costs are very similar. A GD 397 optioned up - paint, 8k axles, etc, is going to be 140-150k out the door after negotiations and I will still have to add the washer/dryer and disc brakes. The ambition is in the exact same pricing neighborhood, but standard with the nice paint, w/d, 8k axles/disc brakes, etc. I just wish there was more info available about their structural design. The DRV LX455 comes with all of these things and a much more substantial foundation, but will be 165-180k out the door. A lot of money, but not unreasonable if you are truly getting more bang for your buck. Both GD and DRV have factory service centers here in Indiana (where we live) so that is a plus. I don't know what VanLeigh offer in this arena. They are six hours south of us, so while less convenient, not too long of a drive. Thanks for your input. AP
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    Thanks for the great comments. I'm curious to see which product you end up with Overtaxed. Complicating things are the price structures on these units. They may not be "apples to apples" but their costs are very similar. A GD 397 optioned up - paint, 8k axles, etc, is going to be 140-150k out the door after negotiations and I will still have to add the washer/dryer and disc brakes.
    Lord, these prices are out of sight! Our 351M with basically every option except body paint was 72K OTD in 2019. I just built a 397 because when I read your comment I thought to myself, "There's NO way he's getting it to 140K OTD". Well.. I was wrong, you are right, a fully optioned 397 hits almost 200K. I realize the 397 is bigger, has triple axles compared to my double, but my goodness, the price inflation in RVs is breathtaking.

The DRV we saw had a selling price of around 180K, IIRC. So if you're into GD for 140K, it's not a huge uplift into a DRV. I wouldn't pay 40K more for it vs a GD though, there are too many "misses" that matter to me. The Luxe that we're looking at, optioned out, comes in around 250K.

GD 397 -- 140K
    DRV LX455 -- 185K
    Luxe 44FB -- 240K
    NH 45 Majestic -- 300K

Frankly, all of those prices are silly to me. Guess I'll need to get over it when we decide to upgrade, but man alive, I cannot believe how much inflation has taken hold in the RV market.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    Thanks for the great comments. I'm curious to see which product you end up with Overtaxed. Complicating things are the price structures on these units. They may not be "apples to apples" but their costs are very similar. A GD 397 optioned up - paint, 8k axles, etc, is going to be 140-150k out the door after negotiations and I will still have to add the washer/dryer and disc brakes. The ambition is in the exact same pricing neighborhood, but standard with the nice paint, w/d, 8k axles/disc brakes, etc. I just wish there was more info available about their structural design. The DRV LX455 comes with all of these things and a much more substantial foundation, but will be 165-180k out the door. A lot of money, but not unreasonable if you are truly getting more bang for your buck. Both GD and DRV have factory service centers here in Indiana (where we live) so that is a plus. I don't know what VanLeigh offer in this arena. They are six hours south of us, so while less convenient, not too long of a drive. Thanks for your input. AP
    I believe the 8K axles include disc brakes and LRH 17.5 tires. At least that is how it was on my 398M
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison