User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Ramp patio fence when loading toys in wind?

Anyone have a convenient way to anchor the ramp patio fences open while loading/unloading toys in the wind?

I'm currently using a make-shift collection of bungees......sure seems like there could/should be a better way.

Thanks

Barry

2021 349M

2011 SRW Denali LML Duramax

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrySmith View Post
    Anyone have a convenient way to anchor the ramp patio fences open while loading/unloading toys in the wind?
    Hi Barry - I have the same question. The solution I'm using right now is a very long bungee hooked to the ramp pins on the ramp and a securing loop attached to the X-track I put on the garage wall.

This works 90% of the time, but if the wind is really strong, I need to have someone hold each door open while I load my stuff. Definitely not a good solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210805_113840.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	43595

I'm thinking we need a way to attach the door to the patio fence, then a way to attach the far end of the fence to the ramp. That last attachment would have to have some adjustability for different ramp angles.

Any thoughts?
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bungee as well, except I hook it to the handle on the 3 season doors and the attachment point for the cable that balances the ramp. This allows me to use a shorter bungee cord.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    I use a bungee as well, except I hook it to the handle on the 3 season doors and the attachment point for the cable that balances the ramp. This allows me to use a shorter bungee cord.
    I tried that, but it pulled the inside 1/2 of the door out on its top slide. That seemed kind of hard on the flimsy door slide and added to the potential of getting blown by the wind. Have you tried this in some strong cross wind?
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I tried that, but it pulled the inside 1/2 of the door out on its top slide. That seemed kind of hard on the flimsy door slide and added to the potential of getting blown by the wind. Have you tried this in some strong cross wind?
    I have used it in high winds. I tuck the bungee under the bottom corner under the door so it helps keep the sliding doors from being pulled open. it isn't perfect but it works well. If the wind gets too high I use my backup method - the wife holds the side I am close to when loading.

I am loading either an ATV, a motorcycle, or an e-bike so I have some margin if one side moves. If I was loading a SxS that was close to both sides at the same time I can see how a more stable approach would be needed.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My patio railing is hinged to the ramp floor. I don't know if yours is the same or is it attached to the trailer wall. But I open my sliding door, then raise the ramp railing. Then I bungee the railing to the ramp door lock handle. This also keeps the sliding door open when I am loading. The single bungee cord is enough to keep the railing vertical and the sliding door open.

I also try to minimize the time in this position. so as soon as the bike is in the wheel chock, I lower the railings and close the sliding door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamp.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	43678
    I use a couple of quick clamps. Clamp to ramp with patio railing and doors on the outside of the clamp with clamp bar up. Use clamps for other uses while camping.