User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Turkeys

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Not something you see everyday roaming through a campground especially so close to a populated area in Richmond Indiana close to Interstate 70. A lot of wild animals have disappeared from populated areas, you don't see them very often unless deep in the woods. You'll always see Racoons, Opossums and such, but not many wild turkeys. Even foxes have disappeared pretty much around here.
    Wild turkeys are pretty widespread here in NH. I second what @Riverbug said about them interacting with the deer. We have plenty of both out in the woods where I live.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the Minnesota experiences. Even in the inner Metro area. At my local clinic, near where I used to work on the border between Mpls and St. Paul, the EMT's had a hard time loading/unloading patients due to the turkeys attacking.
    They're everywhere in my suburban neighborhood.

Best sighting was in Battery Park at the tip of Manhattan, downtown NYC!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staying on Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, about once a week we have to stop to let the turkeys cross the road as we come and go from the FamCamp. We see deer almost every day grazing in the grassy areas around family housing and the park. There's a coyote that sometimes wanders up to the housing area by us that post authorities try to keep an eye on - don't want him/her getting near small children or pets. I think he/she would live longer by staying down range. Other sightings include groundhogs, foxes, and every songbird native to coastal northern Maryland. I've still not been able to identify the irritating bird that sounds like a large squeaky barn door hinge, though...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just nice to see some different wildlife coming back. It was more of a shock to see them right outside our door. There are some deer that get close to the campground here and drink from the pond but are very skittish, you hardly ever see them. I grew up around northern Indiana and never saw a wild turkey around our farm. Hunted out I guess. Foxes are pretty much extinct in the old area where I grew up, farmers killed them for getting in their chickens. Racoons are to plentiful to kill off I guess, they are good egg thief's.

Well I hear turkey is going to be very pricey this Thanksgiving, (what isn't) something about bird flu, read the other day where they had to kill thousands because of the infestation.

O"h yes Canadian Geese can be a real pain and messy, where I went to corporate training school they used to hose off the sidewalks everyday, crap everywhere! They were a protected species, suppose they still are.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few other birds in MN have really done well in the last decade. Loons are on every lake, swans are spotted on many lakes and bald eagles have come back strong. We saw two bear on separate camping trips this summer. I think our moose population is still at risk, but deer are everywhere.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Staying on Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, about once a week we have to stop to let the turkeys cross the road as we come and go from the FamCamp. We see deer almost every day grazing in the grassy areas around family housing and the park. There's a coyote that sometimes wanders up to the housing area by us that post authorities try to keep an eye on - don't want him/her getting near small children or pets. I think he/she would live longer by staying down range. Other sightings include groundhogs, foxes, and every songbird native to coastal northern Maryland. I've still not been able to identify the irritating bird that sounds like a large squeaky barn door hinge, though...

Rob
    Barn Swallow?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    It was just nice to see some different wildlife coming back. It was more of a shock to see them right outside our door. There are some deer that get close to the campground here and drink from the pond but are very skittish, you hardly ever see them. I grew up around northern Indiana and never saw a wild turkey around our farm. Hunted out I guess. Foxes are pretty much extinct in the old area where I grew up, farmers killed them for getting in their chickens. Racoons are to plentiful to kill off I guess, they are good egg thief's.

Well I hear turkey is going to be very pricey this Thanksgiving, (what isn't) something about bird flu, read the other day where they had to kill thousands because of the infestation.

O"h yes Canadian Geese can be a real pain and messy, where I went to corporate training school they used to hose off the sidewalks everyday, crap everywhere! They were a protected species, suppose they still are.
    When I lived in IL years ago, there is an area in Southern IL called the Union County Refuge. It is close to the Mississippi River and an area that is part of the route of the Mississippi Flyway for migrating ducks and geese. I think it was late October or early Nov. we drove down there to see the migrating geese and ducks heading south for the winter. The refuge leaves hundreds of acres or corn for them, and when we were there, there was an estimated 170,000 of them on the property. When you got out of the car, you couldn't talk without shouting or raising your voice.....there were so many of them honking, etc. It was a sight to see for sure.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to look up in the trees for fox. Strangest thing I ever saw out our back window...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 Feb Chad's Camera 125.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	43012
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Be sure to look up in the trees for fox. Strangest thing I ever saw out our back window...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 Feb Chad's Camera 125.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	43012
    Wow, I spent a lot of time out in the woods hunting when I was younger, both deer and turkey....and I seen a lot of things, but never a fox in a tree! That's a first for me.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Wow, I spent a lot of time out in the woods hunting when I was younger, both deer and turkey....and I seen a lot of things, but never a fox in a tree! That's a first for me.
    Me too. It was after we had our new land for a couple of years. About 15' off the ground too and we saw it there a couple of times. Had never heard of it before but after googling it seems they do it but my guess is seldom seen. The turkey's often roost in that same tree at night so I'm guess that's what attracts it there.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast