User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2500RL Trailer Brake strength low

Dear User Forum,

We are new to RVing and have a 2022 Imagine 2500RL we are pulling with a 2022 F250. In reading the F250 trailering manual section, they say to test the trailer brakes to determine the proper gain setting on the truck's trailer brake controller. It is adjustable between 1 and 10 with 10 the highest gain. They say we should pull the trailer at about 20MPH and squeeze the dash board manual trailer brake actuator until the trailer brakes lock up and note the gain reading on the dash. The truck gain setting should then be adjusted to a max of this level. So when we did this test we found that even at the highest gain (10) he trailer brakes did not lock up. In fact there was only a slight feeling that the brakes were doing anything. We do know that when the trailer is at rest that you can hear humming of the brakes indicating that they are getting power from the truck.

Have any of you had a similar experience when testing the brakes? Is it indicative of a problem to have such a weak response on the trailer brakes and how would this be addressed? We hope to go out west next year so hope the brakes are working OK on the hills. We have also read in the GD manual that after initial wearing in of the brakes, that adjustment should be done. We have only gone on three local trips so not clear if this needs to be done yet or how to tell if needed. Don't know if this could possibly be the cause?

Many thanks for your thoughts

Jon

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 21BHE was the same. Eventually found out only the brakes on one axle were working. The factory never connected the brake wiring for the rear axle. Once that was fixed the brakes were much better. After an axle bent we replaced both axles with a higher load rating axle and went with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. A massive improvement and would never again own a trailer without disc brakes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been our experience with our trailer. The trailer brakes needed to be adjusted in our case and while that made a huge improvement, we are still not able to "lock-up" the brakes using the manual override. While towing we can feel the trailer brakes working and thus have not felt the need to pursue it any further. If you test with the manual override and notice minimal braking, I'd say that warrants further investigation. Good luck!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through this with my 2022 2600RB. The brakes when I got it were next to useless. Here's how I addressed.

1. Test that all four brakes are wired. You can do this by jacking up the trailer and pulling the pin (for a very short time only) to lock up the brakes. Do one side at a time. Do NOT leave the pin pulled for any longer than it takes to test.

2. Go out for a drive and burnish the brakes. Get them good and hot. Like 350F or more on a temp gun.

3. Let them cool off, then adjust them with a brake spoon.

4. Go for another drive and let them get up to temperature, but not like when you were burnishing them.

You'll feel them getting stronger and stronger with each burnishing slowdown, and once they're working better, you'll notice they work best once they're warmed up. My brakes barely grab at all to start the day. I usually give the lever a squeeze as I'm rolling down the road for a few seconds to warm them up at the start of the day and they're usually good for the drive from that point.

Good luck!
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my prior TT they were so far out of adjustment that I effective had no trailer brakes. After initial adjustment they worked fine and the auto adjusters kept them good. The auto adjusters need the brakes to work to operate the adjusters
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brakes on our coach weren't very good at first. But over time they seem to have adjusted themselves. At first, I had the brake gain on my TV to 9. But as the brakes started to get better, I've lowered it to 6 and may go down to 5. How far have you towed? I'd say it was a few hundred miles before the brake performance got better.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the input. As I have not used the trailer for 500 miles and braking is weak still, I will investigate further based on your ideas. Verifying the wiring is hooked up to both axles, and adjusting the brakes will be the first steps. Thanks!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also had this same issue.
    We did the same as @uwskier did. It confirmed that all 4 were working and after properly adjusting them, burnishing them and usage, we are now down to a gain of 7. I could probably go 6. I haven't tried locking the wheels though, but I can certainly feel it when I start gently moving that trailer brake slider.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2013 F250. I was never able to get the trailer brakes to lock up, but they will stop the truck if I apply the manual control without my foot on the brake. It is a gradual stop and the distance is something I consider reasonable. I’m comfortable with them not locking up.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the complete Dexter Brake Service Manual at the following link.
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf
    Gary & Deb F.
    2021 GD Imagine 2500RL (Walter White), Lippert Road Armor/wet bolt mod, Goodyear Endurance Tires,
    2020 F-250 Lariat SRW 6.7 PowerStroke (Betty White)