User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wire connections - Short stub to connect to

This project isn't working out the way I'd planned. I'm trying to replace the Lippert backup camera that came with my coach. What I should have done is to cut the wires from the Lippert camera. They were attached to the internal wiring using Wago connectors. So I thought I could just attach the wires for the new camera to the same Wago connectors and I'd be fine. Wrong! One of the Wago connectors was broken and when I went to replace it I quickly discovered that there wasn't enough cable to get the connectors on (see below):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220914_173106338.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	43039

As the picture shows, the internal wiring barely makes it to the edge of the external shell. So far I haven't been able to splice anything onto those wires. Are there any suggestions short of opening up from the inside?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up using shrink and seal solder connectors (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S62KYSL/). I hope they hold up.
    Stephen and Judy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest soldering on an extension. If you made a good connection with those connectors it should work fine for a long time.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I was going to suggest soldering on an extension. If you made a good connection with those connectors it should work fine for a long time.
    Thanks Larry, hopefully the heat gun got far enough to get a good seal of the shrink connection on the inside. From what I could see, the solder connection worked well. I'm planning to test today (fingers crossed).
    Stephen and Judy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you use a heat gun or a soldering iron to make the solder melt connection?
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Did you use a heat gun or a soldering iron to make the solder melt connection?
    Thanks for the reply, those connectors are designed to be used with a heat gun. The heat was sufficient to get a good flow of the solder. I've used these connectors in other applications without problem.
    Stephen and Judy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks for the reply, those connectors are designed to be used with a heat gun. The heat was sufficient to get a good flow of the solder. I've used these connectors in other applications without problem.
    So others know if you pull the other clearance lights you may find the connection those wires came from, then it is fairly easy to pull a new wire.

Glad you found a solution. I am surprised that with the short stubs you had a WAGO would not work.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    So others know if you pull the other clearance lights you may find the connection those wires came from, then it is fairly easy to pull a new wire.

Glad you found a solution. I am surprised that with the short stubs you had a WAGO would not work.
    It's entirely possible that someone with smaller fingers could have gotten the WAGO on. But after fumbling (and cursing) for too long, I decided that there had to be a way that worked for me. The good news is that I tested the connection today and it works!

You may be correct that pulling a new connection would be possible. But much easier than that would have been to simply cut the leads off the Lippert camera. Then it would have been a super simple splice.

BTW: The backup camera (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8/) I installed is a home run. A very clear and sharp picture. And since it works when the running lights are on, it can be a full-time rearview mirror when we're driving.
    Stephen and Judy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    It's entirely possible that someone with smaller fingers could have gotten the WAGO on. But after fumbling (and cursing) for too long, I decided that there had to be a way that worked for me. The good news is that I tested the connection today and it works!

You may be correct that pulling a new connection would be possible. But much easier than that would have been to simply cut the leads off the Lippert camera. Then it would have been a super simple splice.

BTW: The backup camera (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8/) I installed is a home run. A very clear and sharp picture. And since it works when the running lights are on, it can be a full-time rearview mirror when we're driving.
    Pleas update us as to how it performed at speed.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Pleas update us as to how it performed at speed.
    Will do. Others who have the same camera report positive results.
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast