User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ordering RV when is payment due?

First time post. We have never purchased an RV through a dealer. We purchased one used TT privately decades ago and sold it after about 3 years of use, and have tented (or B&B, Hotel, AirBnB, VRBO) ever since.

We are considering getting a 349M and are finding that some of the options we would like are not stocked by any of the dealers (8k axles, 1/2 bath, etc.). If ordering an RV when is full payment typically due? I would expect to pay a deposit upon order, and then the remainder upon a successful PDI. If there are minor issues identified during the PDI that will be resolved at a later date after parts come in or when service dept has time, is it typical to hold back a % of the final payment until all issues are resolved?

Is it reasonable to suggest:
    10% upon order
    80% upon PDI and delivery (we drive off the lot with the RV)
    10% upon all issues resolved (maybe same time as PDI complete)

Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will vary by dealer. You may not need a deposit but I doubt you get any to agree to let you leave with the trailer unless it’s paid in full.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay as little as possible for a deposit. Make it fully refundable if you decide not to buy it get a 100% refund on the deposit.

The rest is due after the PDI and before you pull it off the dealer's lot. insist on the PDI before even going in the office to discuss the closure of the sale.

And if you can - no more money until it passes PDI.

As others said - it is really depended on your dealer's policy(s) too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume the deposit would depend on the trailer and the additional non-stock items that are ordered. If I were a dealer I would want to cover myself in case the buyer backed out. If it were a model that was easy to move vs. a higher priced one that had fewer potential buyers, I would naturally want more money up front.

Not that any of this answers the OP's question, but a few years ago, when trailers were priced a lot less, usually $1K would be a fair deposit.

I don't think you will find a dealer anywhere that will let you pull the trailer off the lot without full payment, and as a buyer, I would never make a final payment until everything on the trailer was in order.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deposits vary as said, but you definitely want one so your name is on the unit and not being built for dealer inventory. Don't finish the sale till after the PDI and feel comfortable the I Owe You items can be reasonably remedied. You absolutely will not be able to leave the lot without payment in full.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input, it is helpful. I was bringing my building construction background to the process where contractors often have a "holdback" until all deficiencies are remedied. Sounds like that likely isn't going to be an option. I will just need to be comfortable delaying delivery if there are any PDI items that are a little too significant to accept on an IOU.

BTW, we went to go look at RV's again and we have decided the 351MS checks more boxes for us than the 349M.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcountry View Post
    First time post.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum, hope you find the coach of your dreams.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The two local dealers I have bought from both asked for a minimal amount down ($500) to hold the one on the lot or to order one, totally refundable if we later changed our minds.
    Final payment (or final execution of any loan docs) after your PDI. While I had no problems that they didn't deal with right away, neither was patient about a prolonged PDI on my part. After an initial viewing/training they both did move it to an out of the way location for me to do a deeper inspection. No power or water though. So schedule yours early in the day to give lots of time to inspect and for them to fix, before you pay the money. If you do get an "I owe you" list of things they will fix later, make sure they commit to a hard completion date. Mine were great about it all. But if you are feeling a bit unsure, you can always walk and schedule a return date with full payment AFTER everything is fixed.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)