User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hauling a 5th wheel full of water.

I have just been told that Hauling a fifth wheel full of water is frowned upon by the manufacturer. Due to the weight and the stress it puts on the tank straps. I do this when I am dry camping because I got a severe case of e coli a couple years ago from water drawn at my destination. Can someone tell me a brand of RV that installs water tanks with straps that are actually rated for the load of the tank with water in it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno - everyone always talks about "straps". I think that might be old school. I think that now tanks (at least on the better brands of trailers) are supported from framing under the tank or at least along the sides.

We'll see some others chime in here. You should list your rig's model and year tho so folks could be more helpful for you particular situation.

In the meantime, I think short to medium distances shouldn't be a problem. But whether they are strapped in or supported from underneath I wouldn't be banging around on back roads boon docking with a full tank.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Larry, full tanks are OK as long as you don't stress them too much. Like you there are times when we want to bring our own water. I try to drive a bit more slowly and avoid big bumps. We also usually bring a 5-gallon tank of our own water for drinking purposes if we're going to be filling the tanks somewhere unfamiliar.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always travel with full fresh water, like out home water better then most campgrounds and they should be designed for it and I will deal with it if something breaks. If I was on really rough roads / trails I would slow way down with or without water as there is a lot of potential for damage all through the unit.

The only ones I have heard of with an issue is some smaller lower end forest rivers TTs and I believe this is resolved and it has been a few years ago since I heard of any issues.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't travel full fresh tank often, it's not a concern. When I do travel with full fresh tank, it's down very rough roads. IE 5 to 10mph kind of dirt, bush, pothole roads. Never had an issue yet. And there are no tank straps on my current trailer...
    But yes, there will be more stress on the springs etc...but no more than 300 pounds of anything else in your trailer.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy... This topic is a sore spot with me as I had the FW tank fail this year and GD gave me the "we don't recommend" line and the tank manufacturer basically "too bad." That said, know our FW tank failed due to garbage rotomold quality, and further understand I'm the Tech Director for an international manufacturing company and had a rotomold/rotocast division under my purview for years. The failure was too thin of wall at one of the shape maintaining pillars. I seriously believe the manufacturer may be using manual labor in the casting process versus a trimble. That thin wall fatigued through cycles of filling and rapid draining and sloshing in transport. GD, at least on the Solitude and Momentum lines, does not use straps. They use 1" x 1" tube steel with flanges welded either end that are screwed to the frame rail webs. Plenty robust for the load! The weak point is the tank. Honestly, their supplier, who supplies many RV manufacturers, produces such a low quality product it's ridiculous!!! Of course, with all the supply chain issues I could neither have a custom tank cast nor fabricated in stainless. The latter I'd have fabricated myself but couldn't get the right sheet stock for 12 weeks.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are weekend campers and travel to our destination with a full tank probably 80% of the time. Our destinations are usually under 6 hours, and largely highway. We have never had an issue.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes we have to travel with a full tank since there might not be a source on the way to the 'remote' campground where we go fishing...I don't like it but no problems so far.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    I have just been told that Hauling a fifth wheel full of water is frowned upon by the manufacturer. Due to the weight and the stress it puts on the tank straps. I do this when I am dry camping because I got a severe case of e coli a couple years ago from water drawn at my destination. Can someone tell me a brand of RV that installs water tanks with straps that are actually rated for the load of the tank with water in it.
    All I can say is I just drove to Alaska and back with mostly full water tanks and it survived without issue. It's supported along the edges by a steel frame.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to give you more info I own a GD 395M 2020 toyhauler. My shock was having their customer service answer that way to the question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast