User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost most of my plugs 2800bh

I've lost power to most of my plugs in my 2800bh. Assuming the GFI in the bathroom is plug #1 and the plug below it in the living room is plug #2 , I'm looking for plug #3 so I can further troubleshoot. Power comes from the GFI to #2 then the wire continues down, I assume, to the underbelly. On our last trip the GFI tripped 3 or 4 times and the last time we reset it we had power to plug #1 & #2 but nothing further downstream.

I turned the breaker off and back fed power through a kitchen plug and it powered everything except 1 & 2. I would like to check connections on plug #3 but I have no idea which downstream plug would be #3 .

Any help or suggestions before I'm forced to pull the coroplast?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220916_124001.jpg  
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh - where to start.....

If the bathroom plug is the GFI plug I think it is the last plug on the circuit. It's easy enough to tell as it would have the circuit coming in, but not going out. But with these RVs it's just a wild guess as to which is first.

I think you need to find the last plug on a the problem circuit and go from there (backwards until you find something).

How many separate branch circuits do you have for plugs? I was thinking you could ID which outlets are on which branch circuit by tripping a breaker and testing. I'm not sure what that will lead to tho.

Maybe put a meter on the wire that disappears downward (into the belly?) and check for shorts.

Other wise it looks like you may end up pulling all the outlets just to test connections.

Is there an outside outlet? That would likely be on a GFI circuit. And I'm guessing there is just one circuit with GFI protection. So maybe just go to the outside outlet and pull it and take some continuity checks back to #2 .

again - just a lot of guesses.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Oops!

You have it backwards.

The GFCI is always the FIRST device in the circuit.

Start checking for current at the GFCI and work your way down until you find the open.

Just plug a light or a fan into each outlet to find the one that isn't working.

Start with the outlet closest to the GFCI.

Due the to construction of these outlets, I HIGHLY recommend you replace any bad ones with conventional outlets with screw-down connections.

The outlets the factory installs use push-on connections that require a special tool to install (or a highly trained screwdriver operator).

It is very easy to booger-up (technical term) the spring connectors on the factory outlets.

Save yourself some headaches, in the long run, and replace any outlet that breaks a connection.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, figured it out.
    Najataagihe is correct that the gfi would be the first on the protected circuit. However, my mistake was assuming the living area plug was plug #2 . What I assumed was plug 2 was actually an unprotected plug #1 on the circuit. It then fed the gfi plug in the bathroom with all the rest of the plugs downstream being protected.
    Because I had power in both the gfi bath & the living area plug I assumed the problem was downstream from the living area plug.
    I took out the gfi plug & wire nutted the wires and had power throughout.
    I need to replace the gfi plug.

Lesson learned. . . . Don't try to over think a problem.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry was also right in a sense. In home building it was common to put the bath gfi as the final plug in a circuit. However, I believe most building codes now require a separate circuit in a home bath.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH