User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dexter Nev-R-Lube™ or Dexter EZ Lube axles

I am in the process of replacing/upgrading axles on my unit. I currently have 4400lb Dexter ez lube and I am upgrading to 6K heavy wall Dexter axles. They offer two different hubs. the typical EZ lube and the Nev-R-lube. There are mixed reviews on the never lube.
    Thoughts

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORryde stopped installing the Nev-R-Lube bearings some years ago. Too many failures, and when they go, you loose the whole spindle/axle. Go with the standard.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had nev'r'lube axles. DO NOT GET THEM! Keith!!
    Just my opinion...lol...of course.
    They are non serviceable bearings. Which means you run them...until they fail you....... on the side of the road.
    My 2006 Titanium fifth wheel had them. Basically, for maintenance, you jack up the wheel and grab it top and bottom and see how much wiggle you get. If it seems ok to you. You are good. If it's a bit excessive....you buy a new assembly..not a bearing. The whole assy. brake drum and bearings already pressed in. Or have a Machine shop press in the assy for you. Another tell that they are going to fail is grease leaking out of the hub assy. I had one go like that. I elected to replace both axles with EZ lube axles from dexter.
    Oh!...And you have to run zero offset wheels. If you already have zero offset wheels, not too bad. But if you don't, factor in the cost of new wheels. Non zero offset wheels put undo strain on the nev'r'lube bearing assy and they fail early.
    Google Titanium fifth wheels and nev'r'lube and I think you will get lots of info.

PM me if you want more info. I wouldn't wish nev'r'lubes on my worst enemy. Well....maybe...but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-16-2022 at 06:57 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used non serviceable bearings on my trailers, but most cars now have them and the problems with serviceable bearings are pretty much non existent. I suspect at some point of time, trailer manufacturers will get the right bearing and find that there will be no problems.

I'm all for a maintenance free component. If that component fails after 150k miles, I'm good with that.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I had nev'r'lube axles. DO NOT GET THEM! Keith!!
    Just my opinion...lol...of course.
    They are non serviceable bearings. Which means you run them...until they fail you....... on the side of the road.
    My 2006 Titanium fifth wheel had them. Basically, for maintenance, you jack up the wheel and grab it top and bottom and see how much wiggle you get. If it seems ok to you. You are good. If it's a bit excessive....you buy a new assembly..not a bearing. The whole assy. brake drum and bearings already pressed in. Or have a Machine shop press in the assy for you. Another tell that they are going to fail is grease leaking out of the hub assy. I had one go like that. I elected to replace both axles with EZ lube axles from dexter.
    Oh!...And you have to run zero offset wheels. If you already have zero offset wheels, not too bad. But if you don't, factor in the cost of new wheels. Non zero offset wheels put undo strain on the nev'r'lube bearing assy and they fail early.
    Google Titanium fifth wheels and nev'r'lube and I think you will get lots of info.

PM me if you want more info. I wouldn't wish nev'r'lubes on my worst enemy. Well....maybe...but you get the idea.
    Thanks Scott I have zero offset wheel now. It appears while the bearings themselves are not serviceable then can be replaced. I am finding the Timken cartridges at well under $100 each. If I go this way I will carry a spare hub assembly which are running about $570 at Etrailer. Even with the E-Z lube if I loose a bearing I will need to replace the axle if there is spindle damage, but the EZ Lube axles are easier to come buy.

I have posted over at the other place too

Thanks for your tip on researching Titanium. Airstream uses them too (and has for a long time) and just had a recall over a washer - not the bearing or axle.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar