Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50a down to 30a ?

So a friend has a 50 amp rv power pedestal outside his garage. He just bought a 29ft travel trailer and was wondering if he could plug his 30 amp trailer into it using a 50 to 30 pigtail adapter?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what he wsnts to use Attachment 43069

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firedreamer2 View Post
    So a friend has a 50 amp rv power pedestal outside his garage. He just bought a 29ft travel trailer and was wondering if he could plug his 30 amp trailer into it using a 50 to 30 pigtail adapter?
    Yes, absolutely. I just plugged our 30a tt into a 50a with the dog bone adapter just last week at a Boondockers Welcome host. I also carry a 30a to 15a adapter.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a little research I think he will be OK if he puts a good surge protector between the pedestal and his trailer to prevent pulling to many Amps and overheating the power cord or the unit. I am recommending the Progressive Industries EMS-PT 30x as I have had great results with my EMS-50 Does this sound reasonable,?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a little research I think he will be OK if he puts a good surge protector between the pedestal and his trailer to prevent pulling to many Amps and overheating the power cord or the unit. I am recommending the Progressive Industries EMS-PT 30x as I have had great results with my EMS-50 Does this sound reasonable,?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that PI surge protector, while being an excellent accessory, will not prevent excessive current draw. It will monitor the amount of current being drawn and prevent over/under voltage, but you will have to rely on the main breaker in the trailer's electrical system to protect from excessive current.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that PI surge protector, while being an excellent accessory, will not prevent excessive current draw. It will monitor the amount of current being drawn and prevent over/under voltage, but you will have to rely on the main breaker in the trailer's electrical system to protect from excessive current.
    I believe that's correct also. A 30amp tt will pull 30amp even if plugged into 50a or the breaker in the tt will trip. We have the PI and always use it for added protection.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what he wsnts to use Attachment 43069
    Attachment not available. Says invalid.
    Joyful & Drake