User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d recommend calling Lippert. They have great customer service and will walk you through a few simple tests to pinpoint the problem.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would ask what test they did to verify it. On the other hand, if its covered under warranty, let them throw parts at it. Are they replacing the valve manifold in the front bay, or is it a problem with the jack itself?
    FT, their diagnosis and recommendation is based on the following (quoting their paperwork): “fully retracted jack systems, disconnected the extend side of the front drivers side jack and hit retract. No fluid came out which means the retract cylinder is good and the solenoid is bad. Quoting replacing the solenoid on the retract side of the jacks.”

Thoughts?

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    FT, their diagnosis and recommendation is based on the following (quoting their paperwork): “fully retracted jack systems, disconnected the extend side of the front drivers side jack and hit retract. No fluid came out which means the retract cylinder is good and the solenoid is bad. Quoting replacing the solenoid on the retract side of the jacks.”

Thoughts?

John
    Seems logical overall, but it seems strange to have the jack fully retracted and then hit retract again. I would almost think you would want the jack in mid position with some load on it and then monitor the fluid lines for any fluid movement. I cant say for sure since I've never seen a diagram of the internal fluid flow path. Like I said earlier, if it's covered under warranty, no big deal. If you are paying out of pocket, I hope they can guarantee any part replacements will fix the issue.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, FT, for your counsel. This is (and has been) a really frustrating situation. Initial “problem” goes all the way back to March/April, when I thought my issue was just popping and screeching. I followed the Lippert guidance and put fork oil into the system. As I said before, it seemed to help but, quite frankly, we really were not using it that much.

I am not mechanically inclined, so guidance from professionals and, more impactful, people like you is what I need to solve my various mechanical problems. So, I deeply appreciate your willingness to noodle on possible solutions.

As you can imagine, with a planned trip from SE WI to the Carolina coasts over the next seven weeks coming up, I am really scrambling to solve this. Here is where I stand and what my next steps are.

Geraldine (name of the fifth wheel) has been standing rock solid on our driveway. No sagging of any of the jacks. Now, I admit, this is purely grasping at straws, but here is what I am going to jump on first thing this morning:

1. one thing I may not have mentioned is the replacement part is on a six to eight week back order. I haven’t decided yet if I am going to start calling other service departments to see if they have the part in stock.

2. As mentioned by a respondent to this post, I am going to contact Lippert and see if they can noodle a solution with me, as well as to see if they can source the part noted above for me.

3. I am going to completely drain the ATF and refill along with 2 quarts of the fork oil.Why? Back when others on this forum were coaching me on what I thought was a simple popping problem, a gentleman named Rob brought up the subject of possible ATF contamination. Maybe there is some gunk/sludge in the system. I am actually thinking of doing this twice. First time I am going to use a small spatula to try and scrape the bottom of the fluid holding tank and stir up the ATF as I am draining it. Then I am going to refill, extend and retract LG, levelers, and hydraulic slides and then drain again to see if this will force any contaminated ATF from all the other components and the hydraulic lines. I will finish by refilling the ATF along with the fork oil.

I know this all sounds like a Hail Mary but I’m kind of at my wits end.

Thanks again to all who are or might chime in on this.

John
    Last edited by JohnnyBadger; 09-19-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the landing gear are moving down when the hyd slides a operated then your issues is with the Hydac valve on the front LG.. there is only one for both front LG.. the LG operate in tandem which means what happens to one happens to the other..

The Hydac valve is always closed mechanically via internal spring pressure on the valve.. it is opened electrically

In your case that Hydac valve is slightly stuck open allowing fluid to flow through it when you operate the hyd slides..

Since you stated you don’t have the skill sets to do the work find someone that does and get a new Hydac valve installed.l it’s about a ten minute job

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also... I have heard of small debris stuck in valve. Removing the solenoid/valve may reveal the problem.

Lippert is a good resource, hopefully they can help! Good luck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    If the landing gear are moving down when the hyd slides a operated then your issues is with the Hydac valve on the front LG.. there is only one for both front LG.. the LG operate in tandem which means what happens to one happens to the other..

The Hydac valve is always closed mechanically via internal spring pressure on the valve.. it is opened electrically

In your case that Hydac valve is slightly stuck open allowing fluid to flow through it when you operate the hyd slides..

Since you stated you don’t have the skill sets to do the work find someone that does and get a new Hydac valve installed.l it’s about a ten minute job
    Viper02, thanks for jumping in on this string. I called Lippert, and read the diagnosis of my servicing dealer. Their diagnosis, I think, is very close to yours - I need to replace a cartridge valve (part#177094). And miracles of miracles, they have it in stock and are sending overnight. I should have it sometime tomorrow. I watched this video: https://support.lci1.com/videos/hydr...ve-replacement. It really does seem to be something I could do, but I now need to figure out which of these valves is the problem. More skullduggery on today’s To-Do list.

I will keep you posted. And, again, thank you so much for stepping forward to help me.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Also... I have heard of small debris stuck in valve. Removing the solenoid/valve may reveal the problem.

Lippert is a good resource, hopefully they can help! Good luck!
    JCR, please see reply to Viper above. As you will see, Lippert was very helpful. I am assuming that their diagnosis is consistent with what the servicing dealer told me was the problem. I will report back as more things happen.

Thanks again for your help.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All, this is a post to close the loop on my issue. As noted above, based upon guidance from some great advisors on this forum, I was able to confirm the diagnosis of my servicing dealer. But, more importantly, I was able to source the repair part that my servicing dealer identified was needed but claimed was “on back order”. Lippert overnighted it to me, it arrived yesterday morning, and I was able to sweet-talk the servicing dealer to sneak me for the repair yesterday afternoon. Brought Geraldine home, unhitched, auto-leveled and extended the slides. No problems.

If all continues to be well, this will me my last post on this string. But I would be remiss if I did not once again thank all who replied with counsel. It is truly humbling that there are people like you who are so generous with sharing their knowledge. Thank you all for saving our trip.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone, I have some disappointing things to report and hope some of you might be able to share additional insight:

Mary & I headed out on our eight-week trip into the Carolinas. Although not the topic of this post, we ended up needing to hole-up in Nashville waiting for Ian to pass. As we were hitching up and preparing to leave home, a few minutes after hitching up and raising all LG and levelers, I noticed that the front left LG had dropped 3-4”. Raised it back up, and watched it drop again. I had remembered others who posted in this and other boards state that they ratchet-strapped it and still headed out. When preparing to leave Nashville yesterday morning, we noticed the right LG also had dropped. Then, this morning, when leaving a campground in NC, on our way to Myrtle Beach, we noticed that both front LG were putting so much pressure on the ratchet straps that they were bending the rubber jack pads on each of these landing gear.

I will be contacting LCI tomorrow morning to see if they can guide me to a solution to this problem. But I am hoping that @JCR GD, @Viper02, @FT4NOW and others might see this and weigh in on any thoughts they might have.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast