Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Sme Coaching on Landing Gear/Slides/Hydraulic System

All,

I have been dealing with an evolving situation with my jacks and, now, my hydraulic slides. Symptoms started appearing last winter with popping and screeching when I went to lower front jacks. The front end actually drooped a little too. Came across posts on this forum about adding fork oil. That seemed to help, but as the summer went along, the popping continues. But now I have started to have problems with the front jacks drooping all the way to the ground when I first start extend the slides that also run on hydraulics. Each time this happens, I have been able to do things that allow me to get everything back to normal.

I just picked up the rig from my servicing dealer. Several normal maintenance items and a couple needed repairs. One of the repair items was solving the problem noted above. The servicing dealer’s assessment is I have to replace one of the hydraulic solenoids. But, unfortunately, there is a 6 - 8 week backlog on getting this part. With all of this, could anyone coach me on the following:

1. Does the servicing dealer’s assessment make sense? If not, what suggestions might you have? I have seen some threads that mentioned checking electrical connections and 50/80 breakers.

2. We are scheduled to head out for an 8-week trip down to the Carolinas and GA. Given the fact that I have always been able to overcome the initial unhitch and set-up challenges, do you think it would be too risky to keep this trip on our calendar?

You guys have always given me rock-solid and candid advice. If you can weigh in on this I would be extremely grateful.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you expand on the "droop" statement? I'm not sure what you mean.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by droop, you mean the jack is losing hydraulic pressure and lowering the RV, that has nothing to do with the electrical connections. Your signature says 2019, I think GD switched to 80 amp breakers by that point. It sounds more like hydraulic fluid is leaking either externally, or internally past a seal or valve. Do you have any evidence of external leakage? Have you ever checked your fluid level? This needs to be done while hooked to truck with all slides and jacks retracted.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Could you expand on the "droop" statement? I'm not sure what you mean.
    Howard, droop means the front jacks lose pressure and the front end lowers to almost full retracted position. This is now happening when I am extending the kitchen and dining slides, which are hydraulically driven slides.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If by droop, you mean the jack is losing hydraulic pressure and lowering the RV, that has nothing to do with the electrical connections. Your signature says 2019, I think GD switched to 80 amp breakers by that point. It sounds more like hydraulic fluid is leaking either externally, or internally past a seal or valve. Do you have any evidence of external leakage? Have you ever checked your fluid level? This needs to be done while hooked to truck with all slides and jacks retracted.
    FT, I have not found any signs of external leakage. I have regularly checked fluid levels; they are at the proper level.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're saying the front jacks lower the trailer when you extend the slides, it sound like you have a check valve malfunctioning, and allowing the hydraulic oil to bleed off the jacks when the hydraulic pump is activated.
    Howard and Peggy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you're saying the front jacks lower the trailer when you extend the slides, it sound like you have a check valve malfunctioning, and allowing the hydraulic oil to bleed off the jacks when the hydraulic pump is activated.
    Does the servicing dealer’s solution (e.g. replacement of a hydraulic solenoid make sense as to a solution to my problem?
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    Does the servicing dealer’s solution (e.g. replacement of a hydraulic solenoid make sense as to a solution to my problem?
    I would ask what test they did to verify it. On the other hand, if its covered under warranty, let them throw parts at it. Are they replacing the valve manifold in the front bay, or is it a problem with the jack itself?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly someplace I would be looking.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solenoid is a valve that is electrically activated, if it is not closing or opening correctly it could cause the problem you describe. I think their solution makes sense.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast