User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When is a truck too old?

This post aims to explore “how old is too old” for a reliable tow vehicle. I am interested in other’s thoughts and practice in deciding to sell the venerable old truck and buy something newer.

Plainly stated, we (my wife and I) set a high bar for reliability of the truck. We need to feel comfortable and secure in the notion that we will complete a road trip without breakdowns. We live in the Western US (New Mexico) where we often find ourselves 50 miles from any town. Even farther from the nearest parts store or mechanic.

We are towing a 303RLS using a 2008 Ford F250 4WD crew cab with the 6.4L diesel. The truck has 158K miles on the odometer. We bought the truck in 2012 and began towing the 5th wheel on vacations to Colorado, Southern California, and Wyoming in 2019. I have not skimped on routine maintenance and repairs and feel the truck is in as good condition as can reasonably be achieved. But it is now 14-15 years old. I am seeing increasing signs of age. Three times now disabled while towing by a failed air hose on the turbo intake system. (Repaired on the shoulder of interstates 25 and 40, not fun.) On our just-completed Yellowstone Park trip the engine thermostat went south, stuck open. That’s an easy fix, of course. However, it just got me thinking, “what next? I can’t predict the next failed component.” The last time I had it in to the local Ford dealership to replace the starter the service writer commented that the truck was “pretty old” and he could not find a new starter but that a remanufactured unit was available. I am thinking it is time to move on to a newer truck.

That said, I am very interested in learning how others have approached this decision. I think other forum readers would be as well. Please respond with your thoughts and actual choices made regarding when and why to replace an aging truck, or why have you chosen stick with your existing truck a bit longer. If you have made extraordinary effort to boost reliability of an older truck, I’d like to hear about that as well.

Thank You
    AllenV
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt be turned off by the age of the truck if maintenance is kept updated and it had been running problem free. The 6.4 diesel has been known for a lot of issues if you read any of the ford or powerstroke forums. It's obviously up to you what to do, but I would want something as reliable as possible. If you're questioning the reliability of your truck based on your own experience with issues, maybe its time to consider an upgrade.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age has little to do with it, if the truck is sound to begin with. That engine isn't the best, so I'd be concerned. I towed with a 2001 Dodge Cummins until earlier this year. I never was concerned with any issues, and never had any issues arise. We bought a bigger 5th wheel and needed more power, and I was getting tired of the manual 6-speed.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If mechanically skilled with proper tools, and preventive maintenance ( or good service plan and deep pockets), should last as long as you can stand driving an older truck. I love our 2013 F150 SCREW 4x4 6.2ltr. Its easy to work on, and is a beast for being a F150. The only reason to upgrade or trade up would be because of capacity, not age.

Sure, if it started to rust apart, or get totaled would get a new 7.3ltr gasser Super Duty SRW (dont like replacing 6 tires instead of 4). And since I do my own maint, diesel is just nasty and expensive to repair and deal with IMHO. Not to mention historical fuel prices as well (owned those too before).

So if its running good, properly maintained, and tows your rig, save your trade up cash for an Exoxtic vacation!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it reached the point where it started to affect my enjoyment of travelling, I would sell. If I’m preoccupied thinking the truck might let me down I can’t enjoy myself. Over 20 years I’ve never had a mechanical breakdown other than blown tires on the trailer (2). I towed with the Ram 1500 for 16 years.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a Ford owner and spending time on some of the Ford truck forums, I share @FT4NOW's concerns about the 6.4. Do you use the truck for anything other than pulling the RV? Have you had the 6.4 "bullet-proofed?" If so - and you can still get other parts - the choice would be up to you based on your confidence in the truck and its reliability. If it hasn't been bullet-proofed and has over 125K miles on it, I would personally be a little uneasy about it. You don't mention finances, but those are another dimension of your situation; new trucks are certainly not cheap! Finally, ahem, your age. Will you be RVing long enough to justify the (great) cost of a new diesel truck at today's prices?

You asked about others' choices and why they have made them. Our truck is 11 years old now, but it's a 6.7 and as very low miles on it - especially for a truck that age (67K). Ford replaced the reductant heater for the DEF under a TSB, replaced a refrigerant line on the AC that leaked, and I had to caulk the sunroof when it started leaking (hate 'em and don't want/use 'em). Other than that, we've had zero significant issues with the truck. The oil and filter are changed every 5K miles and the fuel filters every 10 - 20K. At my age, I'm pretty sure this truck will last us as long as we can stay on the road.

If you're one, too, greetings from a fellow native New Mexican!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    This post aims to explore “how old is too old” for a reliable tow vehicle. I am interested in other’s thoughts and practice in deciding to sell the venerable old truck and buy something newer.

Plainly stated, we (my wife and I) set a high bar for reliability of the truck. We need to feel comfortable and secure in the notion that we will complete a road trip without breakdowns. We live in the Western US (New Mexico) where we often find ourselves 50 miles from any town. Even farther from the nearest parts store or mechanic.

We are towing a 303RLS using a 2008 Ford F250 4WD crew cab with the 6.4L diesel. The truck has 158K miles on the odometer. We bought the truck in 2012 and began towing the 5th wheel on vacations to Colorado, Southern California, and Wyoming in 2019. I have not skimped on routine maintenance and repairs and feel the truck is in as good condition as can reasonably be achieved. But it is now 14-15 years old. I am seeing increasing signs of age. Three times now disabled while towing by a failed air hose on the turbo intake system. (Repaired on the shoulder of interstates 25 and 40, not fun.) On our just-completed Yellowstone Park trip the engine thermostat went south, stuck open. That’s an easy fix, of course. However, it just got me thinking, “what next? I can’t predict the next failed component.” The last time I had it in to the local Ford dealership to replace the starter the service writer commented that the truck was “pretty old” and he could not find a new starter but that a remanufactured unit was available. I am thinking it is time to move on to a newer truck.

That said, I am very interested in learning how others have approached this decision. I think other forum readers would be as well. Please respond with your thoughts and actual choices made regarding when and why to replace an aging truck, or why have you chosen stick with your existing truck a bit longer. If you have made extraordinary effort to boost reliability of an older truck, I’d like to hear about that as well.

Thank You
    AllenV
    It sounds like you need a bit of nudging to replace that truck. If something left me stranded 3 times and it was that old I'd be looking seriously for a better vehicle.

Sometimes we get too attached to things that have supported us well in the past but have started to fail. For me, I'd rather not have that worry nagging at the back of my mind.

In addition to one class A motorhome I replaced because I felt was less than totally dependable I've had at least one automobile that fell into the same category. Also had a few vehicles that I flat wore out because they just kept performing.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 10 yr old low hours bowrider boat left us stranded at our favorite beach on our lake for a second time. All maintenance was done religiously. It is now up and running again and also for sale. Once I loose confidence in something, it's time to move on.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with others. If you lost confidence in it, might be time to move on. However, you can also find various YouTube videos of people being stranded with a new or newish vehicle as well. I like to maintain as best I can to avoid problems rather than replace parts as problems arise; beyond that what more do we have but hope for the best of luck. To me the age of the vehicle is meaningless. I still love my 2004 even after an engine replacement at 108K. But it just chugs too much against the wind and up hills so it's time to move into something that will give us more power than we need and have headroom if we decide to get a bigger TT down the road. It's all about your confidence in the vehicle... Good luck with your decision!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your thoughts, please continue this thread as it seems a useful contribution to the forum.

The truck decision is wrapped up in life choices. My wife and I are 62 years old and retired, plenty of time left. I am a “car guy” but have lately had the luxury of choosing what my car hobby looks like. The COVID years have been filled with a frame-off restoration of a 1955 F-100, currently assembling the freshly-machined Y-Block V8. Not too many years ago the car “hobby” was occupied with keeping the daily-drivers in ship shape. Every repair needed to be complete by the next work day. Now I send those cars to the pros for service and save myself for the tasks I find enjoyable. The F-250 has fallen in-between, I have done some work myself but elected to have professionals do the (littoral) heavy lifting.

I am familiar with the maladies of the 6.4 motor. This motor is “sort of” bullet-proofed. Exactly what comprises bullet-proofing varies with who is being asked. A lot of the issues are derived from DPF regen cycle and the EGR potential for leaks. When the warranty came off, I programmed the DPF and EGR delete and removed the DPF and CAT. I left the power on the tune as close to stock as possible so as to not add stress to the motor beyond stock power/torque. The radiator leaked and was replaced by Ford under warranty. I have not ventured as far as to put in new head studs or turbo pipes. We did have the “dark times” where on a trip with my mother-in-law to Socorro, NM, the motor rattled and gave up. Turned out a pushed rod had come out of its rocker arm divot and caused a bit of havoc. The Socorro Ford dealer put in selected new push rods and rocker arms. All that said, my reading of the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum suggests that 175K miles is a prudent time to exit this truck. 158K miles is several years earlier than I had expected.

However, reliability goes beyond the motor. For example, I put in new headlights about a year ago. All of the catches on the electrical socket broke due to age-induced brittleness. This was in spite of being very careful and correct in the removal process. It all works fine without the “snap” on the sockets, but very annoying. I had a similar issue with an older Ford Ranger. And how much longer will the in-tank fuel pump carry on? These are not infinite life parts and I have no crystal ball to visualize the weak parts at risk if failure.

I am comfortable doing repairs, but do not want to do them on the road.

I have largely made the choice to move on. But am curious as to others view these same issues.

And, greetings Rob. We are not native New Mexicans but have been here the last 34 years.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast