User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're starting to see a lot of the components reach the limit of their useful life. It will keep happening. Towing a 5th wheel isn't exactly easy on a vehicle and it sounds like you're starting to see the results. At 14 years old, I'd say you've gotten your money out of it. I'd move to a newer, more reliable vehicle for your needs. If that 08 is in good shape otherwise, it will fetch more than you think on the used market. You'll hate the price, but like the creature comforts and increased capability of a new truck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you’ve said it, confidence has been lost and it just isn’t as enjoyable to use or fix anymore.

I had an old car (that I do still have, but drive infrequently now) that had 195k on it and was 19yrs old. I had daily driven it for the 11 years it had been mine, and I still love it. But after basically having nothing go wrong except window regulators and a battery, little things started happening. A stuck egr valve led to a bad idle and ended weekend trip plans. The front control arm bushings all had to get replaced. Previously replaced (around 100k) steering linkages / tie rod ends started loosening up again. I was facing the reality that driving it daily was going to start being more time consuming with regard to repairs. Then, the night before I was supposed to leave and drive myself and two friends to a wedding three states over, I noticed a pool of oil under a rear wheel in the garage. Wheel axle seal and bearing. Not a bad job, but not going to be done before we had to leave. It wasn’t an issue to change our transportation, but it was frustrating and a little embarrassing.

It took two weeks to sell my (even older and not in the best shape - def not a reliable daily) old truck and get a new one to daily drive. Then the car got fixed when I had time because I wanted to keep it.

Anyway, I told the detailed story because I thought it might affirm your thought process. You sound like you are in a position where it isn’t an issue to upgrade. Better that you do it now then be forced to at a much less convenient time. And I wouldn’t even be upset about it - that truck gave you a great many years of what sounds like pretty good service (not everyone with a 6.4 can say that).

Post some pics of your project, I want to see that motor! (And the truck of course)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, a truck or vehicle is too old when rust becomes a problem. (I'm thinking in NM rust isn't much of an issue.) Mechanical issues are always fixable/replaceable. Maybe not affordable if you are not handy with the tools. I'm not familiar with the 6.4 but your stated miles doesn't seem like a lot to me. Being a car guy you likely have visited a few ford diesel forums and can find out the weak points of 6.4 engines as they age. I don't 'think' making/keeping an '08 reliable would be that hard really?
    Now, why did I change trucks?
    In 04 I bought a 6.0 Powerstroke F250. Good for the first year, then broke down constantly. At the dealer to be fixed about every two weeks. Just before the warranty ran out I drove it to the local Dodge dealer and traded it in on an '07 6.7 cummins 3500. That truck went over 200,000km without issue. I just saw the guy who bought it from me a couple days ago, said he had no complaints with the truck. I only replaced that truck in 2018 because I was going to retire within two years and work was very busy..meaning a lot of $$ to make paying for a new truck relatively painless. So I replaced the '07 6.7 cummins 3500 with a close to identical '18 6.7 cummins 3500. This truck has stranded me once with a bad in tank fuel pump. Warranty was up 6 months prior. Just saying newer vehicles can have their issues too. Probably less, but still happens.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we were having breakfast at a restaurant in Casper three years ago. There was an older couple at the table next to us. He said they were in town to pick up his "last truck". An F150 Platinum - fully loaded - fanciest truck he will ever own. I asked why it was his last truck. He told me he bought his first F150 on his 20th birthday, and since then has gotten a new truck every 10 years on his birthday. That day was his 90th birthday.

I go about 10 years on Ford trucks too. After that, the truck's fine, but parts are getting a little harder to find. That said, my sister has a 45 yo Toyota Escaper (mini motor home) and she has always been able to scrounge up parts.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'' never part with this one (named Gilda by Dad) for a couple reasons,
    A) I bought it from Dad who bought it new in 2000.
    B) It has 120k miles on it, just barely broke in.
    It's been retired from towing as our newer 5th wheel exceeds the trucks capability.
    We still use it on the ranch for mostly going to town in the summer. In the winter it sleeps inside the garage.

7.3L turbo diesel, 6 speed manual 4x2
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    It's been retired from towing as our newer 5th wheel exceeds the trucks capability.
    We still use it on the ranch for mostly going to town in the summer. In the winter it sleeps inside the garage.

Nice picture composition - looks like a magazine ad.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great life for an older truck. Mine has to live in the driveway and fend off assault by rodents.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That truck looks amazing for nearly 23 years old. No truck is ever too old as long as it is serviceable and has a purpose. Glad you gave the old truck a purpose.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not counting rust when a vehicle can't be trusted it's time to replace it.
    If I still had my 91 Dodge D250/Cummins, I'd be towing with that, but it rusted out too badly, so it's been gone a long time.
    Preventive maintenance would have kept your old truck reliable. I know everyone wants tobe their own mechanic, I am, but there are ties when a good professional will see things that you and I miss.
    Case in point I had a 81 VW diesel pickup. I had my mechanic/business owner son go thru it. He pointed out one hose that I should replace, along with others "just because of their age".
    I drove the vehicle to work that morning with the intention of stopping at the local NAPA during lunchtime to buy the hoses.
    That hose blew out on my way to work (15 miles).
    Sometimes they know what they are doing.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    So we were having breakfast at a restaurant in Casper three years ago. There was an older couple at the table next to us. He said they were in town to pick up his "last truck". An F150 Platinum - fully loaded - fanciest truck he will ever own. I asked why it was his last truck. He told me he bought his first F150 on his 20th birthday, and since then has gotten a new truck every 10 years on his birthday. That day was his 90th birthday.

I go about 10 years on Ford trucks too. After that, the truck's fine, but parts are getting a little harder to find. That said, my sister has a 45 yo Toyota Escaper (mini motor home) and she has always been able to scrounge up parts.
    Have a '97 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 5spd since new. Use it for offroad only. It runs great. More worried about aftermarket parts (i.e. lift, Atlas TC, winch, etc..) being replaced than OEM parts.

Biggest issue its had was ignition cylinder went rouge on me and had to be replaced... not even the actuator, but the cylinder itself. Putchased an new one and rekeyed it myself to the old. Dirt can really trash mechanicals over time! No rust though... even after being in mud upto the top of the dorors!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast