User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearings and suspension work

I have a 22 Reflection 297RSTS with about 700 miles on her. It's my first RV. And we've had it for just over a year. We'll be done for the year in about a month so I assume it'll be time to repack the bearings, replace the seals and grease the suspension. Does this seem on schedule? Maybe there's a group of GDers who get together and help each other do maintenance projects? I would certainly help others as it's not all about me. And I feel better doing this work myself and with others who have experience. If anyone has any information on a group like this it would be greatly appreicated. Sounds like a good idea and I just can't believe nobody has thought of this before. A gang of RV owners helping each other tackle maintenance issues together. Awesome, thanks

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickslick View Post
    I have a 22 Reflection 297RSTS with about 700 miles on her. It's my first RV. And we've had it for just over a year. We'll be done for the year in about a month so I assume it'll be time to repack the bearings, replace the seals and grease the suspension. Does this seem on schedule? Maybe there's a group of GDers who get together and help each other do maintenance projects? I would certainly help others as it's not all about me. And I feel better doing this work myself and with others who have experience. If anyone has any information on a group like this it would be greatly appreicated. Sounds like a good idea and I just can't believe nobody has thought of this before. A gang of RV owners helping each other tackle maintenance issues together. Awesome, thanks
    Love your idea of a group of GDers doing it together. Where are you located? I'd do something like that.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only 700 miles and only one year. I would be inclined to just jack it up and spin the wheels to check the brake pads are just barely rubbing and there is no end play in the bearings. Seems not enough miles to warrant a repack. Also, grease all the wet bolts and call it a day. My Opinion.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're located on the eastern shore of Virginia. Just seems like a good thing, I hear so many horror stories of RV repair shops.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickslick View Post
    We're located on the eastern shore of Virginia. Just seems like a good thing, I hear so many horror stories of RV repair shops.
    You could add your location to your information: under Forum Actions in the menu above, select Edit Profile. Scroll down a bit to Location.

Totally agree about repair shops, the more we RV owners can do for ourselves, the better.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the minimal number of miles, and no need to repack. Now, that is assuming, yes, I know about assume, , the brakes and bearings were in good shape when you took possession. I do bearing/brake maintenance every few years, definitely not annually. Maybe if I were putting 15,000-20,000 miles per year on the trailer I might do it more frequently, maybe every couple years. A lot of the times when people complain about brake/suspension problems, it turns out they've just done/had done wheel bearing/brake maintenance.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree 700 miles is not very long, I do believe a new owner should do the maintenance soon after taking possession to confirm all is done properly and no preexisting issues.

I say do it and then rest a bit easier!

The group thing sounds good... Bring it out to CA and I'll give you a hand!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would at least look at the brakes. They deliver these things with wheels down, & the hired drivers use trailer brakes pretty much exclusively. Mine were not working right when I picked it up, looked at the brakes after a trip & they were toast.
    Of course, mine was delivered to California
    Last edited by Gronk1; 09-18-2022 at 03:06 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2022 Solitude appears to have never had grease in the wet bolts. I also found three zero fittings would not open.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 Solitude with 7k Dexters had the driver side grease seals improperly seated in the hubs from the factory which greased both brakes on the that side. I did bearing/brakes @ 1500 miles but should have done it right away. Dexter made me good on the parts but not the point on a brand new coach.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast