User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron Multiplus Question

I am planning to install a Multiplus in my 30 amp TT. The background is that I currently have a 206AH SOK lithium battery, using the OEM charger. We primarily use shore power at camp currently, but do overnight unteathered but sometime use a small generator as needed. Next year we have a number of reservations at boondock style private camp sites (Hipcamp) and will be using a generator more often to charge batteries or run AC. Solar may come later but for now the plan is to install a DC to DC charger in the new truck, install a Victron Multiplus in the camper, and add one more SOK 206AH lithium battery. Here's the question...

How would one tie a new separate shore power line from the generator location at the front of the TT to the Multiplus, where the existing shore power receptacle is located at the rear of the TT? I would like to do this rather than run a cord from the front of the camper to the rear shore power inlet whenever I want to run the generator. I like the idea of adding a second permanent shore power receptacle at the front where I can plug in the generator with a short cord. The question is not about how to run the wire or mount the receptacle. Rather, where is the connection made so that the Victron can accept shore power from the rear receptacle or front receptable, while avoiding any problem with accidentally powering from both at the same time. Would I need to run both lines to a transfer switch and then out from the transfer switch to the Victron input? Or is it possible to connect both to the Victron; could it recognize the source and switch accordingly without allowing both sources to power at the same time?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad,
    I think I am following you. first of all the power that plugs into the back of the trailer go straight to the circuit breaker under the pantry. If you remove the bottom drawer and the power panel you have loads of room. For your inverter you will want to drop the underbelly concentrating on the door side. Run 2 runs of 10 gauge romex from that point to the pass through were your inverter is. One will be spliced to the line coming inform the back of the trailer to the inverter and one will run back from the inverter to the power panel. If you are seriously wanting to put another plug in near the front of the trailer, run one more 10 gauge romex from your new plug in point back to behind the power panel. You will need and 30 amp power transfer relay. tie both of your incoming lines to the relay and have the outgoing line go to the inverter. This will ensure you only have one power supply coming in at a time.

Probably confused the heck out of you,
    Sorry,
    Brian

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron Multiplus Question

Hi Chad,

I hear you. Is the reason for the second plug because you store your generator in the front compartment and don’t want to run a cord from the generator to the existing site power?

To add on to what Brain said, which is 100% correct. The reason for the transfer switch is It would create the possibility of connecting two different power sources at the same time. To achieve what you are looking for, you need to add a transfer switch between the two plugs. Could be manual A/B switch, but automatic is better IMO.

To make that happen you will need to put the transfer switch between both incoming power plugs, then run to the inverter and from the inverter to your ac distribution panel.

Remove the existing ac input from your distribution panel and route it to one side of the switch. Run your new plug to the other side of the switch. Run a line from the switch output to your inverter, then on the inverter out go to your AC distribution.

Hope that helps.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 09-17-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I am planning to install a Multiplus in my 30 amp TT. The background is that I currently have a 206AH SOK lithium battery, using the OEM charger. We primarily use shore power at camp currently, but do overnight unteathered but sometime use a small generator as needed. Next year we have a number of reservations at boondock style private camp sites (Hipcamp) and will be using a generator more often to charge batteries or run AC. Solar may come later but for now the plan is to install a DC to DC charger in the new truck, install a Victron Multiplus in the camper, and add one more SOK 206AH lithium battery. Here's the question...

How would one tie a new separate shore power line from the generator location at the front of the TT to the Multiplus, where the existing shore power receptacle is located at the rear of the TT? I would like to do this rather than run a cord from the front of the camper to the rear shore power inlet whenever I want to run the generator. I like the idea of adding a second permanent shore power receptacle at the front where I can plug in the generator with a short cord. The question is not about how to run the wire or mount the receptacle. Rather, where is the connection made so that the Victron can accept shore power from the rear receptacle or front receptable, while avoiding any problem with accidentally powering from both at the same time. Would I need to run both lines to a transfer switch and then out from the transfer switch to the Victron input? Or is it possible to connect both to the Victron; could it recognize the source and switch accordingly without allowing both sources to power at the same time?
    Yes, you will want to install an Automatic Transfer Switch.

One side of the transfer switch will control the switch itself. Generally, the original "Shore Power" source is wired as the "pass through" power source and the Generator is wired in as the "Switched" power source. Your two power sources are wired into one side of the ATS and the output is wired to the input side of the Multiplus.

I would give serious consideration to mounting the new receptacle on the side of the RV instead of on the front, because, if you are traveling in the rain the water pressure from the tire spray is much less on the side of your coach vs the front. You might also consider installing the new receptacle inside the hold and not on the outside of the coach to limit it's exposure to water.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful. I will add an auto transfer switch based on your suggestions. I will likely mount the receptacle inside the generator box so that the cord is contained within the box and out of the elements. haven't decided if I will work with my local metal fabricator to build a metal box or do it myself with wood and finish with black enamel paint.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful. I will add an auto transfer switch based on your suggestions. I will likely mount the receptacle inside the generator box so that the cord is contained within the box and out of the elements. haven't decided if I will work with my local metal fabricator to build a metal box or do it myself with wood and finish with black enamel paint.
    One of my favorite finishes for wood has become Rustoleum's spray on Truckbed Liner. I get a very nice looking finish with excellent waterproofing properties.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, you will want to install an Automatic Transfer Switch.

One side of the transfer switch will control the switch itself. Generally, the original "Shore Power" source is wired as the "pass through" power source and the Generator is wired in as the "Switched" power source. Your two power sources are wired into one side of the ATS and the output is wired to the input side of the Multiplus.

I would give serious consideration to mounting the new receptacle on the side of the RV instead of on the front, because, if you are traveling in the rain the water pressure from the tire spray is much less on the side of your coach vs the front. You might also consider installing the new receptacle inside the hold and not on the outside of the coach to limit it's exposure to water.
    Your comment about the "Generator box" has me a bit confused; are you saying that you have an on-board Generator? If you do actually have an on-board Generator, then that changes how you would wire in the Automatic Transfer Switch and my post on how you would go about wiring the ATS may not work, since the on-board Generator was not considered.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    One of my favorite finishes for wood has become Rustoleum's spray on Truckbed Liner. I get a very nice looking finish with excellent waterproofing properties.
    That's a good idea, thanks.
    Chad