User Tag List

Thread: Bearing Buddies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearing Buddies

I’d like some advice on using Bearing Buddies on my Fiver. I’ve had them on my boat trailer for years and have never needed to replace the bearings. Anyone using them on their TT? Having found all the zerk fittings on the suspension to be dry as a bone when new, Bearing Buddies seems like the easiest way to make sure the bearings are greased. Thanks
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the idea behind Bearing Buddies is to have pressurized grease force out any water that came from the trailer wheels being submerged. Unless you're putting your 5th wheel in the lake a lot, they're unnecessary. And possibly lead to brake shoe contamination. Once you've confirmed the bearings are in good shape and have the proper amount of grease, you're good to go. If you have time on your hands you can do annual inspections.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They don't force anything out, but do maintain a bit of pressure to prevent water from entering. Usually due to grease contraction when suddenly dunked in water colder than they are. Because RV's don't see the big/fast temp differences boat trailers do, of little benefit. Biggest harm when using is by "topping off" too much, forcing grease to blow out of the back seal.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find that this has been discussed several time. Bearing Buddies are generally intended for use on boat trailer axles which are submerged in water and are no substitute for regular inspection, cleaning and packing of RV bearings. I would advise against them for reasons cited above.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always this forum is great for providing good information which is greatly appreciated. The discussions about bearing buddies led me to discover that many Reflection TT come equipped with Dexter axles and some of those include the Dexter easy lube system. The next time I run out to the lot where keep the Fiver I'll check to see what brand of axles I have, but in any case I'll not be using the standard Bearing Buddy. Thanks again!
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
    As always this forum is great for providing good information which is greatly appreciated. The discussions about bearing buddies led me to discover that many Reflection TT come equipped with Dexter axles and some of those include the Dexter easy lube system. The next time I run out to the lot where keep the Fiver I'll check to see what brand of axles I have, but in any case I'llnot be using the standard Bearing Buddy. Thanks again!
    There are also many discussions on the forum about the E-Z Lube system. You'll get varying opinions on it, but many of us believe that it is also fraught with issues: pushing grease out the rear seals, tendency to prolong proper inspection, cleaning and repacking, etc. Personally, I would never use it and have always done bearing maintenance the regular way. That way I know exactly what's going on inside the hubs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015