Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a half ton, you will need the Max Tow and RV packages. They're hard to find on dealer lots--as any truck is difficult to find with current supply problems.

The 260RD weighs 7612 lbs. dry and the kingpin weight of 1258 lbs. is your real weakness after you add a fifth wheel hitch. If you are going to get a new truck, a 3/4 ton with a 7.3 Godzilla or even the new generation 6.8 engine coming in the 2023 model SuperDuties would be a good package. Gas 3/4 tons are not that much more $ than a loaded 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow and the RV package.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the F250 camp (Actually GMC 2500 camp:.....that's another discussion).
    Although you selected your trailer a F250 would allow you versatility to move up to a larger trailer should you choose.......and you never know.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Cate&Rob have or had F150 ecoboost HDPP and tow a reflection 303 with it. It is hard to find the HDPP most dealers don't even know what it is. It has 8 lug wheels instead of 6 with better tires better frame I believe. Heavier front end parts and much better towing capacity including payload.
    I was searching for something online and it led me to a thread on that other forum, and he finally upgraded to an F350 diesel...I was a little surprised.

To the OP,
    I dont know you'll find an F150 with the HDPP on a lot, especially the way truck inventory is right now. If you're stuck with a F150, you'll need to order one with the HDPP package, keep in mind it isnt the same as max towing package. If you go F250, I'd skip to the F350 unless registration cost is a factor, it will give you more camper options with the same unloaded truck ride.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    The HDPP F150 is built on a heavier frame and has a F250 rear end in it (along with a host of other upgrades.)
    Just an FYI: The HDPP F150 doesn't come with an F250 rear. The HDPP uses a 9.75" semi-float (or 3/4 float) axle. The F250 uses the tried-and-true 10.5'' Sterling full float axle in most applications, and a full float Dana Axle in newer Diesel or 7.3 gas/4.30 gear combinations.
    Steve and Barb - Delaware
    2021 Solitude S-class 2930rl, solar package, slide toppers, dual panes
    2019 F250 6.2L 3170 payload sticker Reece Goosebox 20K B&W turnover-ball
    2017 Flagstaff 23IKSS Hybrid, 6700 GVW (sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skipping the 3/4 ton and jumping to the 1ton is a good idea.

I've got a 2021 f150 SCREW with the 3.5 and the 7100# GVWR.

My payload is 1975#

My brother's 2019 f250 with the diesel has 2100# of payload.

His truck feels more stable when towing, but legally he can carry only one big dog more than me.

(His fuel economy towing is better though)
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyg View Post
    Want to thank everyone who took the time to input - helps me in my decision (not yet made!)
    Hi. I can't speak to the 5th wheel element of your query, but I can speak about the truck.

I've got the F150 (2018, 3.5, tow package) and tow a travel trailer weighing in at 9000-10000 pounds. No problem - I (literally) don't even know there's a trailer there. Everything Ford says about that engine in all the marketing media has proven true for me.

The thing Ford does not comment on, however, is the gas mileage. My truck routinely gets 18-22 MPG without a trailer. But with the trailer going no more than 65 MPH, that decreases to 8-10. When I've towed at 75 MPH, my MPG goes down to 4-5.

So there's that...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JalexJ View Post
    Hi. I can't speak to the 5th wheel element of your query, but I can speak about the truck.

I've got the F150 (2018, 3.5, tow package) and tow a travel trailer weighing in at 9000-10000 pounds. No problem - I (literally) don't even know there's a trailer there. Everything Ford says about that engine in all the marketing media has proven true for me.

The thing Ford does not comment on, however, is the gas mileage. My truck routinely gets 18-22 MPG without a trailer. But with the trailer going no more than 65 MPH, that decreases to 8-10. When I've towed at 75 MPH, my MPG goes down to 4-5.

So there's that...
    Eco, or boost. Not both. When those turbos are spooled up, she's thirsty.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Eco, or boost. Not both. When those turbos are spooled up, she's thirsty.
    Yes. Tommy, if you end up with the Ford, I suggest you get the 36 gallon gas tank.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just configured an F150 w/ a 5.0 V-8 engine 4WD and the heavy duty payload package. Apparently the heavy duty TOW package is now linked with the HD PAYLOAD package. I found that when I selected the heavy duty tow package I was required to also get the HDPP. The HDPP only comes with the larger boosted V-6 and V-8. Both packages also have the 36 gallon tank.

IF you plan on keeping your truck for more than 100,000 miles, I would go with the reliable V-8 while you still can. My own private garage mechanic and the head mechanic at my local Ford dealer both believe that the long term reliability of Ford's turbo engines are bad news. While the V-8 may not have quite as much torque as the larger and boosted V-6, the V-8 is likely to last longer. And quite frankly when I drove the 3.5 liter V-6 boosted engine last year, I found it to be kind of noisy.

See https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150...75.XL6.U31.%5D
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I just configured an F150 w/ a 5.0 V-8 engine 4WD and the heavy duty payload package. Apparently the heavy duty TOW package is now linked with the HD PAYLOAD package. I found that when I selected the heavy duty tow package I was required to also get the HDPP. The HDPP only comes with the larger boosted V-6 and V-8. Both packages also have the 36 gallon tank.

IF you plan on keeping your truck for more than 100,000 miles, I would go with the reliable V-8 while you still can. My own private garage mechanic and the head mechanic at my local Ford dealer both believe that the long term reliability of Ford's turbo engines are bad news. While the V-8 may not have quite as much torque as the larger and boosted V-6, the V-8 is likely to last longer. And quite frankly when I drove the 3.5 liter V-6 boosted engine last year, I found it to be kind of noisy.

See https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150...75.XL6.U31.%5D
    The HDPP, when selected, does currently automatically select the max tow package. However, this does not work the other way - selecting max tow does not automatically select HDPP. It is possible that specific models (such as the V8 one you built) link the two options, but the majority of max tow optioned trucks do not have the HDPP.

My money agrees with you as I bought the V8. However, I’ve seen all of these motors last a long time. And the latest 5.0 (since ‘18) has been more problem prone than previous generations. All down to preference. That turbocharged eco diesel isn’t known to be reliable, but man are they sweet when they work!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast