User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slim Shade - Anyone Modify Their Screen Door to Allow Access with the Door Closed?

I'm an idiot, okay maybe not quite, perhaps I'm just so laser-focused on a task that I tune out everything else. I installed the AP Products Slim Shade on our 2019 230RL door. Boy was I proud of the install! I told the wife to check it out, waiting for her kind words of appreciation and acknowledgement of my DIY prowess. Instead, I got, "Looks great, but how do I move the shade from inside with the door closed, genius? The screen door is in the way." Oops, I totally did not see that coming.

So, has anyone figured a modification to the stock screen door or found a replacement after market screen door that does grant access to the window shade when both doors are closed?

Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    I'm an idiot, okay maybe not quite, perhaps I'm just so laser-focused on a task that I tune out everything else. I installed the AP Products Slim Shade on our 2019 230RL door. Boy was I proud of the install! I told the wife to check it out, waiting for her kind words of appreciation and acknowledgement of my DIY prowess. Instead, I got, "Looks great, but how do I move the shade from inside with the door closed, genius? The screen door is in the way." Oops, I totally did not see that coming.

So, has anyone figured a modification to the stock screen door or found a replacement after market screen door that does grant access to the window shade when both doors are closed?

Thanks.
    I keep trying to figure out such a modification. Or, maybe, someone one will figure out that a dutch door style screen door that we can have put in.

There is a window with louvers (vertical) that has the slide control handle that hangs down far enough to access in the opening in the screen door for the door handle. We opted to not get that one, because, even when open, the louvers block some of the view.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    This is my biggest pet peeve about the slim shade as well. DW asks me to cloes it and it means opening everything up just before bedtime to let the bugs in. I hope someone on here as a great idea that I could try.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    We purchased and installed our slim shade on our door. Agree, the worst part of this enhancement is the access to the shade itself.

Since install, we have contemplated how to utilize the shade function without opening the door or modifying the screen door. We decided to just remove the screen door in order to have access to the shade, and that seems to be the best possible solution until a better one comes along.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    We purchased and installed our slim shade on our door. Agree, the worst part of this enhancement is the access to the shade itself.

Since install, we have contemplated how to utilize the shade function without opening the door or modifying the screen door. We decided to just remove the screen door in order to have access to the shade, and that seems to be the best possible solution until a better one comes along.
    My original one melted from the high temps here in phoenix. The warranty replacement melted as well. I am going to remove it and forget about it.. It is useless anyways.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is our solution to that issue.

We got an old scarf that matched the Pebble interior and double back taped directly to the screen door. I know not so good on the fit and finish, but, it matches the interior, let’s light through and provides privacy.

Cost…free. Had everything needed on hand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5922.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	43103

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have never closed the shade and probably never will. We really just wanted a window that we could see through.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an issue with the AP one melting in Havasu the first season we used it. I replaced it with the actual Lippert Slim Shade and we didn't have any issues with it this season.

As far as the access part, I'm curious as well.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one, but would a magnetic screen door work?https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Ma...-4-spons&psc=1
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this installed on my trailer, and can open/close the shade without the need to open the door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	43125

https://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/r...-kit/index.php
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast