User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Generators

I was talked into putting two portable Cummins P4500i in our 2023 373FB. After taking delivery, and fully examing the installation, it is a death trap.
    First the generators are not attached to the slide tray. If there was to be an emergency stop, I am sure they would come thru the cargo door. The carbon exhaust is the death trap.

Has anyone ever had portable units installed and what were/is you experience?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by parishtw View Post
    I was talked into putting two portable Cummins P4500i in our 2023 373FB. After taking delivery, and fully examing the installation, it is a death trap.
    First the generators are not attached to the slide tray. If there was to be an emergency stop, I am sure they would come thru the cargo door. The carbon exhaust is the death trap.

I’m following this one…

I recently upgauged to a 310GK, came with generator prep, but no genset was available at anything close to a reasonable price. I’m leaning towards putting a Cummins P4500i in the bed of the truck and running a cord from the truck bed to the junction box in the forward bay, via a quick disconnect on the front of the trailer, just like the main power cord on the street side. I can buy 8 P4500i for what my dealer wanted for the 1 5500 Onan they had. The convenience just isn’t worth the price to me.

I’m also considering mounting a portable on the back of the trailer on a hitch mounted rack, securely fastened down inside a weather/sound shroud. There’s a few good threads about just this idea here on this forum.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience with the Cummings P4500i but, I do have a 2022 model Westinghouse i4500 dual fuel. The carbon monoxide detector is so highly sensitive it will not run in my garage with doors open and will not run in the bed of my truck. I have to place it on the tailgate for it to run. Anyplace else in the bed with the tailgate down and the tonneau cover fully rolled up, it will not run. I wanted to mount it on a roll out tray in the front hold of the trailer but need to figure out a way to eliminate any exhaust fumes from circling around the unit before dissipating into fresh air. FWIW, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Cummins-the Westinghouse is the same, just blue plastic instead of grey. Those beauties are 100lbs. I take mine if we are boondocking, if camping with hookups, it stays home & I will take our Yamaha 2000.
    The Cummings sits in the truck bed & we use the cable supplied with the trailer (and adapter). We also have a 30 amp extension we have from a previous trailer if need be.
    I don't have a slide tray, but would it handle 200lbs. of generator extended? And if it can, it wouldn't be far enough from the trailer.
    I don't think they make an exhaust kit for those generators, but I never looked into it.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    I’m following this one…

I recently upgauged to a 310GK, came with generator prep, but no genset was available at anything close to a reasonable price. I’m leaning towards putting a Cummins P4500i in the bed of the truck and running a cord from the truck bed to the junction box in the forward bay, via a quick disconnect on the front of the trailer, just like the main power cord on the street side. I can buy 8 P4500i for what my dealer wanted for the 1 5500 Onan they had. The convenience just isn’t worth the price to me.

I’m also considering mounting a portable on the back of the trailer on a hitch mounted rack, securely fastened down inside a weather/sound shroud. There’s a few good threads about just this idea here on this forum.
    I have 310GK with two AC units, the dealer sold me the Cummins 4500 telling me it would run the AC's. The 4500 is peak surge load I can tell you first hand it will not fire both AC's. I did not know the 4500 was peak surge load.

With my new Honda 7k it easily fires both AC units, they use in the 3300w area. That is near the continuous rating of the Cummins.....no reserve if it did start.

The Honda is expensive but oh so sweet. Fuel injected unlike the Cummins, dead quiet unlike the Cummins. Big fuel tank that lasts forever.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by parishtw View Post

That is about as stupid as stupid gets!
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW