User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kozzy124

Fridge not cooling

ok, just got my unit back, and now im in it for a month. Our fridge is defiantly not cooling properly,

weather on gas or AC, I haven’t heard the compressor cycle in some time ( or fan, or whatever it is with this type of fridge)
    This morning when we got up, some of the food in the freezer is actually thawing out, and the stuff in the fridge is luke warm at best. The camper is in a level position, we park in here all the time, up at our camp in the `1000 Islands.

I was reading the manual I checked everything in the trouble shooting section, and the only problem I saw that might be close is ventilation, when I took the access panel off the outside of the slide, the top one near the top of the fridge I found a thin piece of wood blocking the coils. Before I do anything with it, I wanted your opinion, I cant attach pictures here, or I don't know how

I currently have it set on the coldest setting and not really cold at all.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd remove the wood blocking the coils and see if that makes any difference. Also turn off the refrig., wait a minute or so and turn back on to reset the electronics.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you have a Atwood 6 or 8 cu ft frig? Don't take the block off. If you are talking about the piece at the bottom edge of upper coils. Go to your Atwood manual, on page 3 it shows what the blocking should look like. Make sure you know your slide depth so you can use the correct example. Are you sure it just does not need defrosted?
    Tom & Jan
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    2013 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel

kozzy124
    tried resetting everything, cut the power and the battery disconnect. no luck. Looks like there is a 12V fan that circulates air behind the fridge, and it blows upward, to move air through the coils, and that might be why the wood is there. so I don't want to cut it just yet I think. I did verify that the fan is what makes the whining noise I always here, and it as not run all day, I check the wires and it is hooked up so I am starting to think that fan is broke, and therefore the fridge is not getting the ventilation it needs. That wood might be there to channel the air from that fan I need to find that out, Right now, im living off the fridge in my outdoor kitchen. Still please pass your thoughts, I wont be hearing from the dealer or GD until tomorrow im sure, so this is all I got lol Anyone else have this wood there as well
    ? perhaps someone out there with a 323 BHS can look at theirs??? or someone with a fridge in the slide that has a similar venting setup with the Atwood HE Fridge

kozzy124
    Tom, thanks Im not cutting anything yet, see my post I was just typing while you were typing.,
    I can see how it needs a defrost, I picked it up the from the dealer yesterday from my black tank repair, turned the fridge on there and drove home, packed, and now I am at camp and the problem happened sometime in between. I don't here the normal whining I usually here, which leads me to believe the fan is not function, causing the fridge not to cool properly
    When I look at the manual, it looks like there is not blocking in the picture directly behind the coils, just above, where there would normally be a roof vent I will look again.

kozzy124
    ok, I misspoke.
    SO I checked the measurements and confirmed everything, the diagram from my install should follow Figure 14.
    The wood baffle is covering the coils AND the cooling fins. these say the baffle should just go to 1/4" below the cooling fins. that's not the case with mine, it is covering them. Also, baffle A is depicted as going from the top of the slide to the top of my fridge at an angle, that is not the case with mine. The baffle is there, but does not extend all the way to the top of my fridge.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fridge wasn't lighting up right on the control panel. I stopped and read the instructions. Now I know to hold down the temp button a few seconds until the fifth light lights up--it's coolest position.

RV refrigerators take air flow to keep'em cooling. If the air's blocked, they won't cool. And if it's in a slider, a fan will be required to blow air on the fins.

kozzy124
    yeah, the fan is not working, I haven't heard it al day, I believe because the baffles are installed improperly, the fridge is not venting correctly, which caused the fan to be overworked, and now it is not functioning. I hope I hear something from GD tomorrow, I emailed them. Currently I have it set on the coldest position , and my milk and meat in the fridge Luke warm at best, an d I had meet defrosting in the freezer that was frozen solid when I put it in there
    I am not happy, since this will now be the third thing that was broke on my camper, due to improper installation at the factory, all of which should have been picked up in the pre delivery inspection they talk about on there website, in a separate building, etc.

kozzy124
    ok, after my worded email to GD last night, they called me this morning, very impressed with that. By the time they called I had the fridge out, and was troubleshooting. Confirmed the baffles were in fact installed incorrectly. The fan works on my fridge, it is the thermo switch that activates the fan that went bad it looks like.
    so GD called around and found a mobile repair facility for Atwood. We did a conference call, and made an appointment for them to come and fix my fridge, and GD is footing the bill.
    also, for the baffles, they told me how to fix it since I was willing, and to submit the receipts to them for reimbursement when I am done.. happy with the resolution, and glad they stepped up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be very helpful if you could take a picture of what your baffle looks like now and after the repair so I (and others) can compare what our's looks like as to what it should look like.

Thanks !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast