Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vermont Route 100 with Large 5th wheel?

Hello all-

We will be heading south in mid-October and entering the US in northern VT. We are thinking about driving Route 100 south through the majority of the state to enjoy the fall colour and small towns, but I am looking for advice as to whether this is recommended? I can't seem to find much online anywhere suggesting NOT to do this but wondered if any of you have first hand experience. Specifically low bridges, pull-out availability, etc. I travel with an OTR Truck GPS so would be alerted ahead of time, but just wondering your thoughts.

Thanks!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_bc_ View Post
    Hello all-

We will be heading south in mid-October and entering the US in northern VT. We are thinking about driving Route 100 south through the majority of the state to enjoy the fall colour and small towns, but I am looking for advice as to whether this is recommended? I can't seem to find much online anywhere suggesting NOT to do this but wondered if any of you have first hand experience. Specifically low bridges, pull-out availability, etc. I travel with an OTR Truck GPS so would be alerted ahead of time, but just wondering your thoughts.

Thanks!
    We prefer the smaller, two lane roads when traveling. We have a Rand-McNally Truckers Road Atlas that we use with our GPS (Sygic) to be sure bridges/tunnels are compatible with our rig.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a copy of The Mountain Directory (which I highly recommend):

https://mountaindirectory.com/

Looking at it, VT 100 looks pretty good until you get to the southern part of the state. In one place there is a 10% grade (one stretch of 10% is two miles long) and another with 7 - 9% grades. Perhaps a New Englander can offer more help - but I would still recommend getting a copy of the directory.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob - wasn't aware this existed! I'll give it a look - appreciate the recommendation.

If anyone else has driven this route, please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all-

Thanks!
    While I can't comment on Route 100 specifically, we did travel on some of Vermont's backroads this summer. We went through the mountains and found steep grades and some rough roads. That being said, there was nothing our rig couldn't handle and the scenery was worth it. As long as you have the information on low bridges (we didn't run into any - no pun intended), I'd recommend that you go for it, that's a great time of year to go through Vermont.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ridden rte 100 on my bike. I don't recall much for challenges for an RV but it's been a few years. I can tell you that parts of the route were quite rough.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Trip Wizard doesn't show any low clearances on Route 100.
    Stephen and Judy

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered Route 5? It hugs the Connecticut River so much more level. The road surface is likely better also.
    Stephen and Judy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Have you considered Route 5? It hugs the Connecticut River so much more level. The road surface is likely better also.
    Thanks for your other comments! I hadn't considered this route, as the 100 gets all the recommendations. Looks like the 5 runs really close to I-91. Does that take away from the charm of the drive? We're from mountainous British Columbia so hilly drives don't bother us, and the 100 just looked like quintessential Vermont!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your other comments! I hadn't considered this route, as the 100 gets all the recommendations. Looks like the 5 runs really close to I-91. Does that take away from the charm of the drive? We're from mountainous British Columbia so hilly drives don't bother us, and the 100 just looked like quintessential Vermont!
    If the mountains are OK for you, Route 100 would be more likely to give you the "quintessential Vermont".
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast