User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilization for Travel Trailer

The Reflection travel trailers have stabilizers front and rear... no scissor jacks or telescoping jacks. This makes for very poor stabilization and rocking and bouncing is fairly pronounced. I want to add something to eliminate as much as possible and am in the process of researching the best fix.

Ideally, a bolt-on kit such as a JT Strongarm set-up would be my choice. Problem is, with only the OEM stabilizers to attach to, I'm not sure if it will work, or if the system was even designed for this scenario. Most TT have scissor jacks at one end or both.

I have thought about adding some sort of jacks on each corner to augment the stabilizers, but I don't know if they will work all that well.

Ideas???

Thanks
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS
    VIN: 573TR3724F3301981

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your description, it sounds like you have the stabilizer system used on the rear of the 303RLS.
    JT Strongarm makes a system that more or less parallels the original and is reported to work in this configuration.
    See this thread for an alternative where Joe (nguyenbio) mounted the JT arms at right angle to the OEM ones.
    I have yet to install these but Joe's installation looks more stable to me. Maybe something like this would work for you ?
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ght=steadyfast

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used screw up stabilizers on my travel trailer for years, and it was pretty stable. The electric stabilizers should work too. If the trailers's too wobbly, put 4-5 2x6's cut into blocks under the pads. Electric stabilizers do best when they're not dropped all the way to the ground--kept shorter.

JT's and Strongarms are for fifth wheels.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a set of JTs Srongarms and it did...ok. I then added four of the screw-up "jacks" and that really did the trick. So I now have front and rear factory electric stabilizers, JT Strongarm kit, and four screw-up jacks...and the electric tongue jack of course. I still get a little shimmy when using the washing machine, but it's NOTHING like it was.
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Screw up Jacks ...... What size???

Quote Originally Posted by Thebohs View Post
    I added a set of JTs Srongarms and it did...ok. I then added four of the screw-up "jacks" and that really did the trick. So I now have front and rear factory electric stabilizers, JT Strongarm kit, and four screw-up jacks...and the electric tongue jack of course. I still get a little shimmy when using the washing machine, but it's NOTHING like it was.
    Could you please tell me what size screw up jacks that you used?? Specs like maximum extended size. And where did you attach them to the frame? Yeah.....the factory supplied 'stabilizers' are almost useless. I have tried everything with the factory stabilizers ....... adding lots of blocking, etc, etc. The trailer still is a shimmy fun house no matter what you do with the factory stabilizers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 303 we tried numerous devices to take the rock out of the trailer, nothing really seamed to work. We traded off the 303 for a 320x in August that is equipped with auto leveling system, man is that trailer solid now. Don't know what it really is called or would cost as an add on, but man is it solid!!!!!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the best luck with the Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand. I bought mine from Amazon, but Camping World sells them as well. They are only 17" talk when fully extended, so blocks underneath may be needed. They do not attach to the trailer at all. This is a good thing because campsites vary so their location is flexible. I tried and tried to upload a picture of my setup but it just wouldn't let me.
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebohs View Post
    I have had the best luck with the Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand. I bought mine from Amazon, but Camping World sells them as well. They are only 17" talk when fully extended, so blocks underneath may be needed. They do not attach to the trailer at all. This is a good thing because campsites vary so their location is flexible. I tried and tried to upload a picture of my setup but it just wouldn't let me.
    You can only view and load photos if you pay the annual fee of $12.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post

I did. But maybe my subscription ran out. Thanks.
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post

I checked, my subscription is good until April of next year. So I don't know why I can't upload. Tried it on my computer and my phone. No-go either way.
    Thebohs
    Fort Worth, TX
    Grand Design 313RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast