User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New in some ways, old in others...New Imagine 2970RL owners

We bought our 2023 Imagine 2970 RL about a month ago and have been out camping twice. Grand Design popped up on our radar when we saw a used 2021 2670 at a local dealer. We had moved to a small motorhome 18 months ago after trailering for over 20 years and after a few trips, decided we really didn't like the motorhome and wanted to trade it in and go back to a trailer. We could not make a deal on the used 2670 but appreciated the esthetic, build quality and features of the Grand Design so we started looking. There was one dealer 20 miles from us, another 90 miles and a third 180 miles away. The closest one did not have anything we were interested in, the next closest would never call us back after our initial visit and the third looked promising with the 2670 and 2970 in stock. We ended up trading in our MH and driving away a 2023 2970 RL.

We've been RV camping for 25 years or so, almost all of it in California, where we were (and still are!) members of the NorCal Starcraft Camping Club. We started with a Starcraft tent trailer, moved to a hard side, then one with a slide and have had 4 other trailers since. We like the room, the kitchen island and the multitude of places to sit and chat, hang out, watch TV or nap in the 2970 and trailers of a similar design.

I was so disgusted by poor RV quality 23 years ago that I wrote my own PDI checklist that has found some favor in the community. I see copies of it all over the internet and that makes me happy. I used it when we purchased this latest trailer and found the fewest issues with the new rig than any other, a testament to GD design & manufacturing and the improvement in RV dealer quality itself. The manufacturing of our rig has proven to be very good. There are some issues with design and assembly techniques that I question, but they are easily sorted.

We intend to keep this rig for some time and will be attending the Midwest GD Rally at the end of the month in semi-rural Potosi, MO . We look forward to meeting other GD owners and taking part in the festivities!

Tom & Debbie Boles

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T & D

Great your having a good GD experience. Any chance for a a link or copy of your checklist?
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also. Perhaps a comment on your experience with the motor home. Pros, cons, and what prompted the return to a towable.

I have this vision of you driving 180 miles with both the Moro home and your new truck to trade it in for the trailer.

We like the 2970 RL as well but opted for the 312 bhts which is very close in layout / features. We needed room for grandkids that are getting older and like their “separate” room. And, well, you really don’t notice how long it is when your towing. Plus, we provide the ultimate in entertainment for all the other happy campers when I have a back in site.

Have to get in line with the big trucks to get fuel and DEF, which makes me walk just a bit taller somehow. Ha.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
    We bought our 2023 Imagine 2970 RL about a month ago and have been out camping twice. Grand Design popped up on our radar when we saw a used 2021 2670 at a local dealer. We had moved to a small motorhome 18 months ago after trailering for over 20 years and after a few trips, decided we really didn't like the motorhome and wanted to trade it in and go back to a trailer. We could not make a deal on the used 2670 but appreciated the esthetic, build quality and features of the Grand Design so we started looking. There was one dealer 20 miles from us, another 90 miles and a third 180 miles away. The closest one did not have anything we were interested in, the next closest would never call us back after our initial visit and the third looked promising with the 2670 and 2970 in stock. We ended up trading in our MH and driving away a 2023 2970 RL.

We've been RV camping for 25 years or so, almost all of it in California, where we were (and still are!) members of the NorCal Starcraft Camping Club. We started with a Starcraft tent trailer, moved to a hard side, then one with a slide and have had 4 other trailers since. We like the room, the kitchen island and the multitude of places to sit and chat, hang out, watch TV or nap in the 2970 and trailers of a similar design.

I was so disgusted by poor RV quality 23 years ago that I wrote my own PDI checklist that has found some favor in the community. I see copies of it all over the internet and that makes me happy. I used it when we purchased this latest trailer and found the fewest issues with the new rig than any other, a testament to GD design & manufacturing and the improvement in RV dealer quality itself. The manufacturing of our rig has proven to be very good. There are some issues with design and assembly techniques that I question, but they are easily sorted.

We intend to keep this rig for some time and will be attending the Midwest GD Rally at the end of the month in semi-rural Potosi, MO . We look forward to meeting other GD owners and taking part in the festivities!

Tom & Debbie Boles
    Welcome to the forum Tom and Debbie, glad to have you with us. It sounds like you are pretty experienced, but if you need GD specific help, this is a great place to ask.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome welcome welcome. I hope you had a blast at the rally. i am the owner of a 2019 2970rl. Love the thing. pretty awesome. We took our dinette out and put a narrow tall table against the windows with high back chairs. Opens it up even more. There is also 18 inches of empty space behind the TV wall. We made a swing arm tv bracket and now have a little extra storage behind that TV. Best of luck on your journey.

Jody and Heidi Bates
    The Bates Motel