User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 150 series + F-150?

It sounds like these 150 series fifth-wheels are designed to be pulled with as little as a F-150 (or equivalent 1500 series) pickup. My question with the Reflection 150-series 298BH. Can you actually pull it with an F-150? I have a 2019 F-150 with max tow package and 3.5 ecoboost motor. I currently drag around an Imagine 2800BH, which fully loaded is around 7.5 - 8K lbs. That, by itself, feels like a lot. I'd be weary to add another 2K lbs to that. Every year we travel from Florida to Maine and back, at least. I feel like, the 10K+lbs range would be too much, even though the truck is rated to tow 10.5K lbs.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/298bh

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snovak View Post
    It sounds like these 150 series fifth-wheels are designed to be pulled with as little as a F-150 (or equivalent 1500 series) pickup. My question with the Reflection 150-series 298BH. Can you actually pull it with an F-150? I have a 2019 F-150 with max tow package and 3.5 ecoboost motor. I currently drag around an Imagine 2800BH, which fully loaded is around 7.5 - 8K lbs. That, by itself, feels like a lot. I'd be weary to add another 2K lbs to that. Every year we travel from Florida to Maine and back, at least. I feel like, the 10K+lbs range would be too much, even though the truck is rated to tow 10.5K lbs.

First off, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find quite a bit of debate on this forum about how much one can safely tow with a half-ton truck. My personal opinion is that you'd be much better off with a suitable three-quarter-ton truck. Especially with a tow from Florida to Maine.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The F150 would need the 3.55 or 3.73 axle and the heavy duty max payload suspension package to have enough cargo capacity for the pin weight. Just having the tow package is not enough. For any trailer in this weight range I would recommend a F250/F350 SRW or other brand equivalent
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMHO, there isn't a 5th wheel made to tow safely with a half-ton, no matter the suspension, engine, gearing etc.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't believe how many half tons I saw pulling 5th wheels on my recent cross-country trip. I guarantee every one of those was over payload.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifth wheels are a different beast compared to travel trailers.

Yes, in general you can tow a 150 with a 150. Many people do it. It wasn’t until someone on the internet discovered GVWR around 1997 and appointed himself the ultimate towing expert that the whole debate started. So far I haven’t seen any evidence that the roads are littered with broken F-150 parts from towing fifth wheels.

Note that the 298BH doesn’t have rear storage, unlike the 278 and 268BH. The rear storage gives you the flexibility to load more at the back to keep the pin weight down.

However, for going that distance I might recommend a 3/4-ton to do it in comfort.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The search function (top right on the menu bar) is extremely useful... there is an almost-identical thread going on right now:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...879#post448879

There's also a lot of good information in this sticky in our Reference Library:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a great forum! I want to thank everyone for taking the time to provide their feedback. As much as I'd hate to trade up on the F-150, my family and I are considering full-timing after this year's summer trip, which actually hasn't ended yet. This is the longest so far, having been out since the beginning of June. The more we RV, the more we fall in love with it. We'll finally land back in FL come October. While back at home, I'm going to be searching for a used F-350 and considering a jump up to the Solitude 3740BH-R

Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    Fifth wheels are a different beast compared to travel trailers.

Yes, in general you can tow a 150 with a 150. Many people do it. It wasn’t until someone on the internet discovered GVWR around 1997 and appointed himself the ultimate towing expert that the whole debate started. So far I haven’t seen any evidence that the roads are littered with broken F-150 parts from towing fifth wheels.

Note that the 298BH doesn’t have rear storage, unlike the 278 and 268BH. The rear storage gives you the flexibility to load more at the back to keep the pin weight down.

However, for going that distance I might recommend a 3/4-ton to do it in comfort.
    An interesting point about the 268BH, thanks Easycamper. But yes, we'll be doing LOTS of driving in this setup. So, I'm thinking "go BIG".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The search function (top right on the menu bar) is extremely useful... there is an almost-identical thread going on right now:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...879#post448879

There's also a lot of good information in this sticky in our Reference Library:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    That is a very similar thread. Sorry about that Rob. Good info there. Thanks for that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snovak View Post

I think in your post you answered your own question. If you are not comfortable with it than don't do it, you'll only regret your decision and as you stated you already feel like the truck is maxxed with your current trailer.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast