Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Upon what do you base your claim?

F150’s have payload ratings from 1700 to 2100 pounds depending on what option packages are installed. The pin weight on a Reflection 226RK is less than 1200 pounds leaving between 500 and 900 pounds of payload. A bit of caution about what all is added to the F150 and how the trailer is loaded is needed if one wants to be sure to not go over payload, but it can be done.
    Doug

We just bought a 226RK today.
    We have a GMC half ton.
    Right across the street from the trailer dealership just happens to be the truck dealer I bought my truck from, so based solely on this thread the wife and I walked over and spoke to the service department about are Dilemma.
    We showed them all the spec’s on the trailer and we were told this shouldn’t be a problem based on or truck configuration.
    I found it very interesting that they stated GMC under rates their trucks considerably.
    They also said if we want the piece they would be happy to sell us another truck, the 2500 we looked at was 70-90k of course due to the pandemic lol.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would the service department say “ it should not be a problem “. Rather than looking at your ratings on your exact truck in the door?

They don’t own RV’s, just like the trailer salesperson.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff & Carol View Post
    Doug

We have a GMC half ton.
    Right across the street from the trailer dealership just happens to be the truck dealer I bought my truck from, so based solely on this thread the wife and I walked over and spoke to the service department about are Dilemma.
    We showed them all the spec’s on the trailer and we were told this shouldn’t be a problem based on or truck configuration.
    I found it very interesting that they stated GMC under rates their trucks considerably.
    They also said if we want the piece they would be happy to sell us another truck, the 2500 we looked at was 70-90k of course due to the pandemic lol.
    You are looking at empty dry weights is why it works

Once the trailer is loaded with everything it will get heavy
    Plus I guarantee your truck is heavier than it says on the door but IF you want to know a simple run over a cat scale with the combination will give the real numbers
    I am sure it will not be an issue but it will be over the ratings on the truck. Both payload and rear axle
    Ymmv
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not towing frequently and are making short trips on level roads, a half-ton may be OK. If you are taking long trips covering hundreds of miles, you need more truck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to add in the weight of the 5th hitch and all other weights that will go in front of the axles on a 5er. Yeah an RK will help reduce some of the pin weight, but not pound for pound since the axles are not directly in the center.
    A 5er will usually always handle better than a TT unless you have a TT with a premium WDH (PP-HA)
    But that still doesn't account for payload in the truck.
    I would add 500lbs to the dry weight of the 5er pin as a benchmark.
    175 for hitch
    90 for batteries
    60 for propane
    and the rest for gear in the front storage compartment and under the bed.
    Add a 2nd AC and there's another 75lbs.
    It all adds up.

So without the 2nd AC you have 325lbs for the basics and 175 for essentials.
    1190lbs + 500lbs = 1690lbs.
    1690lbs + 300lbs? for passengers =1990lbs.
    3/4 ton territory.
    Last edited by goducks14; 10-02-2022 at 11:03 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a CAT scale ticket for a 260RD loaded for 5 days of camping attached to a F-150. The truck has a GVWR of 7050 lbs. Truck was full of gas, 2 adults and a dog.

As you can see the truck is about 400 lbs. over GVWR. The 3.5 EB pulled it like a champ, but pulling the trailer isn't the issue. Carrying the weight of a 5er with a half ton is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	43272

BTW, the pin weight was 1380 lbs.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    Here is a CAT scale ticket for a 260RD loaded for 5 days of camping attached to a F-150. The truck has a GVWR of 7050 lbs. Truck was full of gas, 2 adults and a dog.

As you can see the truck is about 400 lbs. over GVWR. The 3.5 EB pulled it like a champ, but pulling the trailer isn't the issue. Carrying the weight of a 5er with a half ton is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	43272

BTW, the pin weight was 1380 lbs.
    And over the rawr
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkAllen View Post
    If you are not towing frequently and are making short trips on level roads, a half-ton may be OK. If you are taking long trips covering hundreds of miles, you need more truck.
    One mile or 1000's of miles...........overloaded is overloaded!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff & Carol View Post
    Doug

We have a GMC half ton.
    You are choosing to trust a guy paid to turn wrenches for a living (not disparaging, I am also that guy) versus the guy paid to evaluate and engineer a truck to handle a certain load. Honestly, do you think GM added all those extra rating numbers on your door sticker (that are not govt mandated btw) just for fun, knowing they didn’t actually matter? Sometimes we want people to affirm our decisions without considering what those individual’s qualifications actually are.

I’ve also heard the argument that ‘20 years ago we didn’t even know payload was a thing, and yet we survived’. Sure. But you also didn’t see C/K 1500s or F150s pulling trailers like this. And power is certainly no longer a limiting factor. Today the manufacturers tell you - they even certify what you can safely pull up and down the Eisenhower tunnel. Most of us have overloaded our trucks before. I don’t plan to do it with my family on board, when I’m supposed to be enjoying a vacation. If for no other reason than it sucks to drive haha

Congrats on the 226. I hope you travel light enough where your vehicle works and you are happy with it. Most of us don’t. Please report back your experiences either way.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed the Reflection 150 Series 260RD with a 2020 F-150 Ecoboost for several months. Payload on the truck's door sticker was 1,742 lbs. According to GD, the pin weight of the 260RD unloaded was about 1,200 lbs., leaving a little over 500 lbs. to play with. I never weighed the setup but am certain I was towing overweight. It always seemed to tow and stop just fine but I was constantly worried about safety and legal liability. About 2 months ago, I traded for a 2020 F-350 with the 7.3L gas engine. Payload on the new truck is about 4,040 lbs. so I no longer worry about any of the numbers. And the bed of that truck holds a lot more of the crap we like to drag along with us. I'm very happy with the entire setup and feel we made the right decision.
    Ross & Sue | Papillion, Nebraska
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2020 F-350 XLT CCSB FX4 7.3L Gas
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast