User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want better MPG, sell your trailer and stay in hotels.

Sounds a little harsh, but the reality is you'll get 8-12 mpg out of just about any gas tow vehicle. It takes a lot to overcome the aerodynamic drag of a travel trailer and going bigger won't save you gas. In order for that engine work less, it needs to be bigger and the result is that you won't burn much less fuel. If it were me, I'd drop the fuel economy desire and just go for a more capable truck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my 2970 RL with a 5.0 f150 and it got ~10 mpg, I now pull it with a diesel f250 and get ~10 mpg. The difference is how much more comfortable I am when towing. There were a few “white knuckle moments” with the f150 and so far, none with the f250.
    I added 2k air bags, rear anti sway bar, and a tuner to help with power on the f150, they each improved the towing experience.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dw8034 View Post
    I have recently purchased a 2018 Imagine 2600RB and I am pulling it with a Nissan Titan 5.6 V8. It handles it pretty well but gas mileage is around 9mpg. If anyone is pulling the similar trailer can you tell me what you are pulling it with and what your MPG is while pulling the trailer. Looking to purchase a different truck and not sure which direction to go ( 3/4 ton or different HD 1/2)? Thanks
    I pull an Imagine 2600RB with a F150 5.0 V8. I have gotten anywhere from 8.4-14 mpg while towing it, but average 10 or just under mpg. The truck tows that trailer really well and is within the rated capacities for mine, but I know it would be over on a lot of 1/2 ton trucks. I would like to get a new hybrid F150, but I don’t think I could find a super crew with the required payload capacity. If I were to purchase a new truck, I’d look at 3/4 ton because I’ve been towing more miles than expected and the 2600RB would be easier on a 3/4 ton. I’d expect fuel economy to remain about the same while towing and be a few mpg less without the trailer.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you will put up with. I pulled mine with a Tundra 5.7 V8 and fought it on hills and could never use cruse control. Then last fall I bought a Ford F250SD Diesel and wish I had done so earlier. I just returned with a 2000 mile trip (East-West) and averaged 12.2 mpg (50% better than the Tundra) and was able to use my cruse control. The difference in torque between the two engines is about 600fp! Some may think it is an overkill but there is no substitute for having plenty of torque! I highly recommend the F250 diesel!

Jay - Edna, Texas
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Ford F250SD 6.7 Diesel
    Last edited by Jwalthall; 09-28-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't calculate my mileage or look at the lie-O-meter anymore. If I worried about mileage I would buy a teardrop & a Prius.
    But if you are going to buy another truck, look at f350/3500. The difference in price is not much over a 3/4 ton gives you lots of room when you step up to a larger trailer/5th wheel & mileage will probably be the same.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I don't calculate my mileage or look at the lie-O-meter anymore. If I worried about mileage I would buy a teardrop & a Prius.
    But if you are going to buy another truck, look at f350/3500. The difference in price is not much over a 3/4 ton gives you lots of room when you step up to a larger trailer/5th wheel & mileage will probably be the same.
    Ditto with Paul on the one-ton capacity, but not the Prius. LOL We got a bit over 13 mpg with our 1999 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel on a round trip to Alaska in 2007. I am happy with 10 plus mpg now in our 2007 Ram 3500 5.9 diesel. The 99 was totally factory and did a good job pulling our different trailers. The 07 has been modified and has power to spare and pulls extremely well. I have never hooked my wife's 2019 F-150 5.0 to our 2500 RL. It pulls a horse trailer fine but no need to pull the travel trailer with it. The length would concern me. I find it too stressful to white-knuckle on a vacation. It takes the fun out of driving.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 2020 2600RB with a F150 Platinum e/w tow package. Pulling the trailer I get around 8 MPG also. Sometimes better with a tailwind, but 8-9 regularly. I get 20+ MPG not towing. I considered a F250, but the F150 has good towing capability for this trailer and, when not towing, provides a much better ride. Best of luck on your decision.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 9-10 or 11 mpg number is about good for any combination of truck and trailer for anything less than 9000#. I currently have a 2021 Ran with 5.7 hemi e torque pulling the 2600 and it gets between 9-11 mpg depending on the pulling conditions. Before the 2600 I pulled a Jayco X23 B and a X20 B with a Chev 1/2 ton with the 5.3 or whatever it was and in all cases we got somewhere between 9-11 mpg. Trucks were equipped with towing packages and pulled with no problems. I once read that no matter what combination you have , you can expect about 1/2 the mileage when pulling a trailer versus normal driving and I tend to agree.
    2022 2600 RB , Road Armor + wet bolt and heavy shackle kit
    2021 Ram 1500 Premier, 5.7 E Torque , 3.91 rear end, trailering kit

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Agree that you will not regret getting the biggest truck that you will be happy with as a daily driver (and your budget allows). The towing experience is better, even if you don't step up.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention, I also use a ProPride !400# hitch. Worth every penny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast