User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What truck for a 2018 Imagine 2600RB

I have recently purchased a 2018 Imagine 2600RB and I am pulling it with a Nissan Titan 5.6 V8. It handles it pretty well but gas mileage is around 9mpg. If anyone is pulling the similar trailer can you tell me what you are pulling it with and what your MPG is while pulling the trailer. Looking to purchase a different truck and not sure which direction to go ( 3/4 ton or different HD 1/2)? Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Titan a dedicated tow vehicle or a daily driver/weekend tow vehicle? None of the gas trucks are gonna get great mileage pulling that trailer. A diesel will get the best mileage but you’re paying more for the fuel plus maintenance, never mind the initial surcharge. Your current trailer doesn’t require a diesel anyway, weight wise. My recommendation would always be a 3/4+ truck but if you’re sticking with a half ton then I don’t believe any of them will do a whole lot better than what you have now. My F150 averaged between 9-11 depending on conditions.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you hoping for fuel economy?

My 2018 Sierra likely gets less than 10 as well
    I have never checked it
    Nature of the hobby.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. If you're buying a truck for the purpose of increasing fuel economy, you shouldn't. If you're buying a bigger truck because you want one, great, go for it. For that trailer a bigger truck in the gas version might make the most sense. You might see a slight increase in economy, but remember those trailers arent exactly aerodynamic. The wind drag alone decreases fuel economy, and then of course the additional weight causes the rest of the decrease. If you think there is any chance of getting a bigger camper down the road, consider a 1 ton truck. Most people do upgrade eventually, that's why they say buy your 3rd camper first.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are right at the top limit of payload and it bogs down some on hills. We are looking to take it to the mountains and looking for something that can handle that. looking at which one can handle that but also get better MPG.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a 4300 mile round trip with my 2022 and my GMC with 5.3L and 8 speed. I got about 8.6 MPG for the trip, admittedly driving a bit faster than I do on my shorter trips. I didn't have any issues with the truck bogging, even in the mountains. I actually have been shocked with the power the "wimpy" 5.3L puts down when it gets up into the RPM range.

I've done the math on my next truck and it's likely going to be a bigger gas engine than what I have in a 3/4 or 1 ton chassis. I am not expecting MPG to improve. I'd like a diesel, but I won't drive it enough over the life of the truck to offset the higher costs.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

In the past we pulled our 2600RB with an F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost tow mileage was 8-11. Right at max payload.

Currently we pull it with a 2022 F250 Diesel with HCTT and tow mileage is 11-14. Well under payload of 2980 and a much better ride than the old truck.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 09-20-2022 at 08:32 PM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I average between 9.5 to 10 mpg. Best I ever got was 11.5 going down in elevation and a sustained 35mph tail wind. Worst was 7.3 going up in elevation and stout headwind.
    2020 F250 XLT Premium Iconic Silver 4x4 7.3 3.55 Payload-3268 lbs.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Previous - 2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
    Previous - 2015 Nissan Titan Pro 4x

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dw8034 View Post
    I have recently purchased a 2018 Imagine 2600RB and I am pulling it with a Nissan Titan 5.6 V8. It handles it pretty well but gas mileage is around 9mpg. If anyone is pulling the similar trailer can you tell me what you are pulling it with and what your MPG is while pulling the trailer. Looking to purchase a different truck and not sure which direction to go ( 3/4 ton or different HD 1/2)? Thanks
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig!

That is a bit on the heavy side for a Titan, and as others have explained, diesel will always provide the best towing experience, but it comes at a cost and isn’t always necessary. Lots of variables come into play in deciding which platform besides the sizes and weight of your trailer.
    How often do you tow?
    Distance towed?
    Number of people with you?
    Daily driver or not?

All of these come into play.

I agree with the rest of the people here, a 250/2500 platform with the larger gas engine is in line for your rig. Really doesn’t matter who, pretty much all the mfgrs make good trucks today and the payload is ever increasing on all of them. Get what you like to drive and what feels comfortable for you.

Good Luck and please circle back with what you end up getting.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry weight for your trailer is just under 7900 lbs., and you would need a max tow and RV package on any 1/2 ton truck. After your "stuff" is added, it's too much for a stock 1/2 ton to tow in the hills or if you tow longer distances.

I would suggest you go a 3/4 ton gas truck--if you can find one on the retail market. The problem with them is that they're not easy on gas--more like 17 mpg unloaded and maybe 11-12 mpg towing. It's just how it is. A diesel would do better, but they're $10K more. Ford is coming in with a 6.8 liter gas V-8 engine for 2023, but it's unknown how efficient it would be. Should be a honey of an engine, however--displacing a very good 6.2 older generation motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast