User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just kinda wondering. Our tire threw a tread and never went flat. We finished our trip and returned on the spare. When we took the rv in for replacement tires the treadless one still was good on pressure. It almost seems like the trailer tires are just retreads. Original tires lasted 4 years. This was going to be the last trip on them.... and so it was.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @johndeerefarmer

Sorry for your bad luck with your tires.
    We had one of our Westlake tires blow back at the end of July...one week before my appointment for new Goodyear Endurance tires to be installed. I do feel your pain. Even though I was able to pull over almost immediately it still did over $2000 worth of damages. All the tires had about 20K miles on them and the remaining tires all had 75% of their tread remaining. Had 5 new GY Insurance tires installed and I'm hoping for better luck with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20220728_124239.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	401.3 KB 
ID:	43251
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something a lot of people forget is that when you have a tire go down the tire on the other side is then carrying all the weight that axle has on it. That's one reason why you hear of people having multiple blowout's. That tire carrying all that weight is going to overheat causing damage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many people forget that trailer tires are often times not rated to travel 70 miles an hour. You have to check your tire speed rating to ensure that you don’t exceed it. Tires that are rated for less than the speed you’re going generally will last about 20 miles before the carcass self-destructs if you’re exceeding the speed rating. When the carcass self-destructs because you’re exceeding the speed rating there’s generally not a loss and pressure until it explodes nor is there a rise in temperature.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    One a 300 mile round trip we had three blowouts on the Westlakes. They are the original tires (2016) that came on it and I know that I should have changed them earlier.
    I have the TST tire monitor. On the first blowout, not a peep out of the monitor until after the tire blew, then of course it gave me a low pressure warning. That wiped out my fender flare and bent the sheet metal. I was doing 70 mph.
    This was 20 miles from home. Made it the rest of the 120 miles without issue.
    On the way back driving 65 I had a second blowout. This wiped out the fender flare on the other side. I had placed aluminum plate underneath the wheel wheels back in '16 when I bought it. Glad I did. One piece got bend and halfway ripped out. Once again, no indication from the TPMS until after the blowout. This was on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30. We found a tire shop open and took both tires. He only had two used tires in that size so we bought them. Headed out again this time at 60 mph. 20 minutes later a third Westlake blew! I installed my last spare and we continued on at 55 mph. 4 hours later made it home.

All three of those Westlakes failed the same. A complete failure. They blew like a bomb. In all three instances the tpms system didn't do me any good. None were losing pressures or getting hot. I also have a 2017 Alumna flatbed with Westlakes. Coming home three months ago one of those blew the same way. I was also monitoring with the tpms. Same thing happened- no warning. That blow out completely destroyed my aluminum fender.

I put GY Endurance on the Alumna trailer and wonder if I should do the same for the 29RS? Thoughts?

So what I learned from this is:
    1. TPMS doesn't do much good unless you have a slow leak- not sure I will buy another
    2. Change tires after 5-6 years. Tires had less than 6000 miles and were kept in the barn or covered up with covers.
    3. Never buy Westlakes as what's the chance of three blowing on one short 300 mile trip??? It's like they had a built in expiration and were rigged to blow after a certain time. LOL

Feel your pain. I tried to get one more season out of my Westlakes, and it was a big mistake. I had one blow out going to my destination and two on the way back. My spare, which was a Westlake also blew. Luckily, I carry two spare tires with me. The BAL spare tire holder has been a very good investment. The first blow out caused the most damage, over $2000. It blew out the leveler behind the tire and the trim above the tire. I've been told it doesn't matter the mileage on trailer tires, they need to be changed out every 3 to 4 years.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    Feel your pain. I tried to get one more season out of my Westlakes, and it was a big mistake. I had one blow out going to my destination and two on the way back. My spare, which was a Westlake also blew. Luckily, I carry two spare tires with me. The BAL spare tire holder has been a very good investment. The first blow out caused the most damage, over $2000. It blew out the leveler behind the tire and the trim above the tire. I've been told it doesn't matter the mileage on trailer tires, they need to be changed out every 3 to 4 years.
    How many miles did you have on the Westlakes? Our 2018 303 has Westlakes with about 15,000 miles and never have had any problems. I have monitors on them and often run 70 mph hour. They run cool according to the monitors. Did a 8500 mile trip this summer to west coast in hot weather with no issues. My brother replaced his Westlakes with Goodyears and had a GY blowout after 500 miles.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadiansteelman View Post
    How many miles did you have on the Westlakes? Our 2018 303 has Westlakes with about 15,000 miles and never have had any problems. I have monitors on them and often run 70 mph hour. They run cool according to the monitors. Did a 8500 mile trip this summer to west coast in hot weather with no issues. My brother replaced his Westlakes with Goodyears and had a GY blowout after 500 miles.
    Most trailer tires are replacedmore from age than miles on them. Trailer tires are recommended to be replaced every 5 to 6 years regardless of how many miles are on them. What you want to watch for on a trailer tire rather than tread is cracking in the sidewalls. If you see any cracking starting replace them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all those who are running 16” tires on their 5’ers… I moved to the 19.5” Boar Wheels and Michelin XZE (245/70R19.5 LRH) on my 2021 Solitude 380FL. These massive commercial tires put an end to my tire reliability concerns. I’ve run them for about 12K miles now (all over North America) and they’ve been fantastic (picked up about 1.5 MPG as well). Everybody tells me it’s overkill (and it probably is), but I have zero concerns for tire problems now. They run better mpg, lower temps and better wear….Super happy with the decision.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Had a set of Goodyears on my Arctic Fox 5th a few years back. Blew a right rear (in my Avatar). Put on a set of LT Coopers & had no problem with them till I sold it. Don't think GY are as bullet proof as a lot of people think.
    Had WL on my Solitude, put on Sailuns after a year with no problems in the past three. Sold the WL for $200
    Had 4 years on our Westlakes with ZERO issues. Changed all 5 to Goodyear Endurance (sized up to 85's) early this year for a big trip. So far I've had to replace two. First was only two days after install and noticed it was not holding air. Took it back to the tire store for inspection prior to the trip. Turns out the rubber lining was separating allowing air to leak out. Less than 5 miles on that one. Second one started to develop a bubble on the side after 4000 miles (could have been caused by a pothole but who knows.) That's two out of five tires within 30 days. Time will tell how well the others hold up.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    For those who read this thread hereafter, the Westlake load range E tires on @johndeerefarmer's 2016 29RS are a different animal from the Westlake load range G tires coming on the newer Solitudes and Momentums. The LREs had (and still have, as far as I know) a reputation for failure. The LRGs are building a better track record.

Rob
    I fully concor with Rob. I've put 15,000 miles on my original equipment Westlake load range G tires (made in 2019) in the last 18 months with no problems. Looking to replace them over the winter, due to their age, but not quite sure about what to replace them with. What's the current thinking on Load Range G tires?
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast