User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three blowouts on one trip!

One a 300 mile round trip we had three blowouts on the Westlakes. They are the original tires (2016) that came on it and I know that I should have changed them earlier.
    I have the TST tire monitor. On the first blowout, not a peep out of the monitor until after the tire blew, then of course it gave me a low pressure warning. That wiped out my fender flare and bent the sheet metal. I was doing 70 mph.
    This was 20 miles from home. Made it the rest of the 120 miles without issue.
    On the way back driving 65 I had a second blowout. This wiped out the fender flare on the other side. I had placed aluminum plate underneath the wheel wheels back in '16 when I bought it. Glad I did. One piece got bend and halfway ripped out. Once again, no indication from the TPMS until after the blowout. This was on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30. We found a tire shop open and took both tires. He only had two used tires in that size so we bought them. Headed out again this time at 60 mph. 20 minutes later a third Westlake blew! I installed my last spare and we continued on at 55 mph. 4 hours later made it home.

All three of those Westlakes failed the same. A complete failure. They blew like a bomb. In all three instances the tpms system didn't do me any good. None were losing pressures or getting hot. I also have a 2017 Alumna flatbed with Westlakes. Coming home three months ago one of those blew the same way. I was also monitoring with the tpms. Same thing happened- no warning. That blow out completely destroyed my aluminum fender.

I put GY Endurance on the Alumna trailer and wonder if I should do the same for the 29RS? Thoughts?

So what I learned from this is:
    1. TPMS doesn't do much good unless you have a slow leak- not sure I will buy another
    2. Change tires after 5-6 years. Tires had less than 6000 miles and were kept in the barn or covered up with covers.
    3. Never buy Westlakes as what's the chance of three blowing on one short 300 mile trip??? It's like they had a built in expiration and were rigged to blow after a certain time. LOL
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    One a 300 mile round trip we had three blowouts on the Westlakes. They are the original tires (2016) that came on it and I know that I should have changed them earlier.
    I have the TST tire monitor. On the first blowout, not a peep out of the monitor until after the tire blew, then of course it gave me a low pressure warning. That wiped out my fender flare and bent the sheet metal. I was doing 70 mph.
    On the way back driving 65 I had a second blowout. This wiped out the fender flare on the other side. I had placed aluminum plate underneath the wheel wheels back in '16 when I bought it. Glad I did. One piece got bend and halfway ripped out. Once again, no indication from the TPMS until after the blowout. This was on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30. We found a tire shop open and took both tires. He only had two used tires in that size so we bought them. Headed out again this time at 60 mph. 20 minutes later a third Westlake blew! I installed my last spare and we continued on at 55 mph. 4 hours later made it home.

All three of those Westlakes failed the same. A complete failure. They blew like a bomb. In all three instances the tpms system didn't do me any good. None were losing pressures or getting hot. I also have a 2017 Alumna flatbed with Westlakes. Coming home three months ago one of those blew the same way. I was also monitoring with the tpms. Same thing happened- no warning. That blow out completely destroyed my aluminum fender.

I put GY Endurance on the Alumna trailer and wonder if I should do the same for the 29RS? Thoughts?

1. TPMS doesn't do much good unless you have a slow leak- not sure I will buy another
    2. Change tires after 5-6 years. Tires had less than 6000 miles and were kept in the barn or covered up with covers.
    3. Never buy Westlakes as what's the chance of three blowing on one short 300 mile trip??? It's like they had a built in expiration and were rigged to blow after a certain time. LOL
    When I had TTs I had MANY ST tire failures. Then I made the jump to LT tires, and never looked back. From 2006 to 2021 I ran Michelin XPS RIBS. Not a single issue in 15 years.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sad story @johndeerefarmer, just glad you were able to get home safe and no one was hurt.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who read this thread hereafter, the Westlake load range E tires on @johndeerefarmer's 2016 29RS are a different animal from the Westlake load range G tires coming on the newer Solitudes and Momentums. The LREs had (and still have, as far as I know) a reputation for failure. The LRGs are building a better track record.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My condolences on your bad luck.

I bought a new Prowler tt back in '97. It came with Goodyears. Ran them for 10 years before replacing them with another set of Goodyears. Sold the trailer last year after 14 years with the second set. Not one failure or even a flat in all those years. I tried to order my new 2600RB with Goodyears but was denied. I ran the Westlakes for the first year and replaced them this past May with Goodyears.

I never leave on a trip without checking the air pressure. I usually only have to add air in the spring after winter storage. Hopefully I'll have as good of luck with these as I've had in the past.

John

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @johndeerefarmer so sorry for your bad luck on this trip. Glad you were able to make home. You have a good tpms, one of the best. Since it didn't notify you of a leak, I guess you had an instant, total blow out x 3. Not having a tpms you would of only notice something was wrong only later down the road and maybe the damage would have been worse. Another thing that I learned on here is that age of a tire is just as important as mileage and as @Second Chance said, those load E Westlakes have a reputation.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post

Rigged to blow?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the manufacturing tolerances must be pretty tight with those westlakes..lol All giving it up at pretty much the same time! Quality sux but man...the consistency......

Sorry to hear of your troubles jdfarmer.

I go max five years on tires now. Even though it seems like I'm throwing $$ away when I look at the condition of the old tires....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @johndeerefarmer , 3 times the charm right. You shoiuld be safe now. Glad the damage was minimal.

When we got our 303 we wouldn't take it off the lot until they put on 16" tires, still westlakes but we got a few years out of them until a split in the tread was discovered during a pre trip inspection. They were about 4 years old. Been running Sailuns ever since, just replaced with a new set last year
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Rigged to blow?
    Making a joke............ LOL but you gotta admit three blowouts on a 300 mile trip is a 1 in a 10,000 chance. Lucky me..
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast