User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DC to DC charger wiring

I am installing a Renogy 40amp DC to DC charger on my Reflection and F-250 using 4ga wire.
    My question is there a reason why I need to run a black (ground) wire along with the red (power) wire the length of my truck up to my truck battery? Why can I not run the black wire to the chassis in the rear to save weight. I’d say money but I already bought the damn wire. The combined weight of both the wires is 10 lbs.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran both a dedicated positive and negative wire. I am pretty sure you can just use the frame - BUT..... not the chassis... Since Ford is now using aluminum panels grounding (and isolation / galvanic corrosion has become "a thing".

So be sure you use a good ground on the frame at the rear. Then take some voltage measurements when done to make sure the loss isn't too much. With my dedicate wires I think I still have maybe .01 or .02 volt loss.

Here is where I put my Anderson connector....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFD993E5-3C4F-4A3A-896B-31D81B7446B5.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	43121
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-20-2022 at 07:08 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I didn’t mean chassis but frame. I was in the middle of the installation so I decided to play it safe and run a dedicated line. My setup looks similar but I bought the wrong plugs for the bed. I went with the 50amp plugs but the fittings were for 6 or more, not 4. Waiting now on the 125amp plugs which will take the 4 ga wire. Also, still waiting on the Renogy to do the trailer side. Work in progress…
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late, but I would have used the frame. Done right, the resistance has got to be lower and that is always a good thing. Saving money would not be a bad thing either.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Too late, but I would have used the frame. Done right, the resistance has got to be lower and that is always a good thing. Saving money would not be a bad thing either.
    OK, I'll bite. What would be the right way to install the wiring using the frame? I'm getting ready to install the wiring and would appreciate any help I can get. I don't have much experience with truck wiring, so please be specific. Pictures really help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bit of common sense. Clean the surface of the frame, no paint or corrosion. Use a fastener that is large enough with the right torque. Nothing special, just common sense. Would not hurt to weather proof the area too. Find a space that is as much out of the elements as possible.

I certainly would not just slap a cable on a frame and call it good enough.

I just spent a bunch of time and money on LifePo4 batteries and will work on the solar next year. That will include the DC/DC converter. Sorry, no pictures this year.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What would be the right way to install the wiring using the frame? I'm getting ready to install the wiring and would appreciate any help I can get. I don't have much experience with truck wiring, so please be specific. Pictures really help.
    I would go with the following:

1. Wire brush head on my drill to remove the paint and stuff from the box frame, near the back of the truck.
    2. #14 x 1" (1/4" to 3" Available) Hex Washer Head Self Drilling Screws, Self Tapping Sheet Metal Tek Screws, 410 Stainless Steel, 50 PCS https://a.co/d/7idAWVj
    3. 1/4" Stainless Steel External Tooth Star Lock Washers (Pack of 100pcs) Marine Bolt Supply https://a.co/d/8z7IcmD
    4. 10PCS Battery Cable Ends, 4 Gauge Wire Connectors 1/4 Copper Wire Lugs, Bare Copper Eyelets with Heat Shrink Tubing by HOUSUN https://a.co/d/5JhGiqe

This is for 4 GA fine stranded copper wire. You'll need a crimp tool for the lugs.

I highly recommend going with an "outside" or "heavy duty" sheath on the cable. It's just a thicker insulator jacket. It's more expensive, but when exposed to the elements they usually hold up longer.

If you can get to both sides of the wall of the box frame, then bolting the ground is preferable to using a self-tapping hex screw.

Also, if the cable is going to be run around a "sharp" edge, see if you can put a grommet there, or at least cut a small length of rubber hose, split it in half and screw it down to the metal edge.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuess View Post
    I am installing a Renogy 40amp DC to DC charger on my Reflection and F-250 using 4ga wire.
    My question is there a reason why I need to run a black (ground) wire along with the red (power) wire the length of my truck up to my truck battery? Why can I not run the black wire to the chassis in the rear to save weight. I’d say money but I already bought the damn wire. The combined weight of both the wires is 10 lbs.
    Figured I toss in a photo of the charger too. Should have done this to begin with.....

And one more note, I wired from the battery (had to creat my own terminal), to a circuit breaker, to a solenoid controlled by an up fitter switch and then to the back of the truck.

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	43126

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	43129

Name:	EFFE186D-8DD4-4F36-84A8-F3F6BFAD9C88.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	43130
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-21-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did you wire your DC+ wire? I tried to wire mine to the running lights but it didn’t work. My running lights don’t seem to be getting 12 volts and I believe the DC+ requires a full 12.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuess View Post
    How did you wire your DC+ wire? I tried to wire mine to the running lights but it didn’t work. My running lights don’t seem to be getting 12 volts and I believe the DC+ requires a full 12.
    Exactly which DC+ wire are you referring too?

I don't understand your question?
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast