User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gray tank leaking?

Boondocking for a week at hunting camp. Started out having to carry a full tank of fresh water (70 gallons according to my water flow meter).
    On the way home both gray tanks were about 3/4 full and the black who knows. Nowhere to dump so I had to pull it with semi full tanks to dump at home. We pulled over in a pull out on a 7 percent uphill grade, here in Idaho, for awhile. The pull out was 7 percent as well. All of a sudden I noticed water running out from the coroplast. I'm pretty sure it was gray water which means it was coming from the front tank which is the bathroom tank. Is it possible for water to come out of the tank because of the incline or an I going to have to drop the coroplast to look for a leak?
    Thanks for your advice on this matter.
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R, 3rd AC, tankless hot water, Splendide stacked W/D.
    2021 Ram Bighorn, HO, Aisin, Delmonico Red, long bed, 3500 , auto leveling, TTPMS, Reese GooseBox., Haloview rear and side cameras.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water should not come out of any of the waste tanks due to a 7% grade. My first guess would be that there is a leak on top of one of the tanks where the vent pipe goes in (not an easy place to visualize). You might consider a fiberoptic scope before dropping the underbelly.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you drive through rain? I thought my gray tank was leaking, drove through a lot of rain, stopped a couple hours later, and water was dripping only in one spot where one gray tank is. Was due to the rain.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't drive through any rain. Did have a couple of rain showers the previous 3 days before we broke camp.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Water should not come out of any of the waste tanks due to a 7% grade. My first guess would be that there is a leak on top of one of the tanks where the vent pipe goes in (not an easy place to visualize). You might consider a fiberoptic scope before dropping the underbelly.

Rob
    Where would you insert the scope to look for leaks?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelrod View Post
    Where would you insert the scope to look for leaks?
    On your floor plan, it's a good bet the waste tanks are beneath the basement floor in the general area underneath the bathroom. I would start by removing the rear basement wall to crawl back in there (with a good flashlight) to see what I could see. On our rig, I can see the top of the black tank and one gray tank where the drains go in without a scope, I would need a scope to visualize the other tray tank or the sides of any of them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelrod View Post
    Boondocking for a week at hunting camp. Started out having to carry a full tank of fresh water (70 gallons according to my water flow meter).
    On the way home both gray tanks were about 3/4 full and the black who knows. Nowhere to dump so I had to pull it with semi full tanks to dump at home. We pulled over in a pull out on a 7 percent uphill grade, here in Idaho, for awhile. The pull out was 7 percent as well. All of a sudden I noticed water running out from the coroplast. I'm pretty sure it was gray water which means it was coming from the front tank which is the bathroom tank. Is it possible for water to come out of the tank because of the incline or an I going to have to drop the coroplast to look for a leak?
    Thanks for your advice on this matter.
    If you had water running out of the belly you need to open the belly and dry it out because of mold, mildew, wiring sitting in water.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    If you had water running out of the belly you need to open the belly and dry it out because of mold, mildew, wiring sitting in water.
    Good point. I'll try to get a fan blowing through there.
    2021 Ram Bighorn, HO, Aisin, Delmonico Red, long bed, 3500 , auto leveling, TTPMS, Reese GooseBox., Haloview rear and side cameras.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    On your floor plan, it's a good bet the waste tanks are beneath the basement floor in the general area underneath the bathroom. I would start by removing the rear basement wall to crawl back in there (with a good flashlight) to see what I could see. On our rig, I can see the top of the black tank and one gray tank where the drains go in without a scope, I would need a scope to visualize the other tray tank or the sides of any of them.

Rob
    Thanks. I'd go look right now but it's raining here. Hopefully I can see something from the basement access.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped a large section of coroplast and drained the remaining water and threw away the wet insulation. Can't see anything buy the bottom of the galley gray water tank. I've got an endoscope camera ordered to see if I can see anything up top of along the sides.

I also got to looking where all the plumbing from the rear kitchen runs and could see that by removing the 5/8 fabric covered panel at the very front of the rear basement I could possibly have access to the top of the galley gray water tank. So I pulled that panel out about a foot and there is another wall behind that constructed from 1.5 inch foam insulation sandwiched between 1/8 luan plywood. It's going to be a major tank to remove that wall because I would first have to remove the power cord reel so I could then get the 5/8 wall out of the way to remove the insulated wall.

Has anyone tore into a Solitude 390RK in that area? Would that give me access to the top area of the galley gray water tank?

I also got to thinking that I really hadn't used the kitchen sink all that much. There was probably less than 7 gallons in it. I had filled the freshfresh water tank a couple of times to the point of water coming out of the overflow though when I was sanitizing and the final fill before heading to hunting camp. I'm wondering if my water leak could possibly be from filling my fresh water tank to overflowing but I never saw any signs of water until on the way home.
    Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast