User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Unless you're talking pre 2013 every dually from Ram will have a 14K GVWR regardless of trim or configuration.
    That's not so, lots show around 10,000 lb. GVWR. Mostly for licensing reasons.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    That's not so, lots show around 10,000 lb. GVWR. Mostly for licensing reasons.
    If you can find one please post it. I have never seen or heard of that being an option and a quick google search shows the same thing. The only manufacturer that has a derate or lower GVWR options is Ford but only to 13K on DWR. You can get down to 10K on a SWR.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022 ford stats.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	43156

Here is a link to the 2022 Ram HD spec guide;
    https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilde...6Od5Hdu%2FD%0A

It does show a 13,500 option on some DRW that must be new, not sure why. If you go to build and price 14K is your only option. There must be some Combo that is slightly lower

GMC/Chevy shows only 14K for DRW
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize, you're correct. I mixed in the SRW as well when looking at GVWR. My mistake.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I apologize, you're correct. I mixed in the SRW as well when looking at GVWR. My mistake.
    No worries, you had me going!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    No worries, you had me going!
    Me too.....I just didn't have time to respond until now.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carverelli View Post
    so basically what I'm starting to understand here is the amount of weight transferred from the trailer to the rear axle of the truck must be limited because 2 wheels 1 axle and 2 tires can only safely handle so much.

The engine, transmission, type of hitch used is mostly irrelevant.
    To transfer more weight from a heavier trailer at the contact point I'll need more rubber to the ground. 4 tries vs 2.
    Of course air bags or the like might help slightly, but not much.
    Why couldnt I load a few thousand lbs of roofing shingles in the garage section of the trailer. That should lighten the front end of the trailer just enough ������
    I'm not reading any further so if this is covered so be it. The others pointed out not so subtly your weight issues. One thing not mentioned is your short bed truck not being ideal for what you want. Wheel base is your friend for stability, your looking at a white knuckle ride even without the overloaded suspension. The other thing is you seem to be looking for justification for what you want to do.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    With a dually, your payload capacity will likely be in the 5,500 to 5,800 lb range. Pin weight of 4,500 lbs now is within limits and gives you 1,000 lbs of payload capacity for the hitch, toolbox, passengers, etc.
    As a teenager my dad had a heavy 1/2 ton they called it. 1978 single cab chevy w/ a 454. He put a gooseneck ball and bought a 16' gooseneck trailer with high sides. We loaded that thing 10 feet high with hay and towed it as far as we had to. No doubt overloaded. That poor truck we had to push the accelerator almost to the floor to get it to move.
    My point being all these gvwr ratings for this and that all have have a safety factor built in to the number.
    My truck will NOT explode or melt if I'm overlimit on a tire or axle or have too much fresh water in the tank.
    I've been in construction for over 30 years and the safety culture has gotten completely out of control.
    They've made it so any idiot can put on a hard had and succeed if you just follow ALL of the rules to the letter.
    Well guess what??? I'm NOT that guy. I use discretion and common sense as my guide. I appreciate you're concern and will stow it under advisement

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a teenager my dad had a heavy 1/2 ton they called it. 1978 single cab chevy w/ a 454. He put a gooseneck ball and bought a 16' gooseneck trailer with high sides. We loaded that thing 10 feet high with hay and towed it as far as we had to. No doubt overloaded. That poor truck we had to push the accelerator almost to the floor to get it to move.
    My point being all these gvwr ratings for this and that all have have a safety factor built in to the number.
    My truck will NOT explode or melt if I'm overlimit on a tire or axle or have too much fresh water in the tank.
    I've been in construction for over 30 years and the safety culture has gotten completely out of control.
    They've made it so any idiot can put on a hard had and succeed if you just follow ALL of the rules to the letter.
    Well guess what??? I'm NOT that guy. I use discretion and common sense as my guide. I appreciate you're concern and will stow it under advisement
    Hear, hear! About time we injected some common sense into this stuffy strictly by the book crowd!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the last line in the OP's first post: "Opinions and/or ideas?". It would appear that he got lots of both, and is interested in none of them. IMO he was looking for posts that will agree with what he wants to do, and those were not forthcoming. Like Mick says: "You can't always get what you want..."
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By definition...Common Sense: "The meaning of COMMON SENSE is sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or FACTS.

Facts....
    1. Your proposed truck/trailer combination will be over Payload.
    2. Your proposed truck/trailer combination will be over GVWR
    3. Your proposed truck/trailer combination will be over GCVWR
    4. Every single manufacturer of vehicles....trucks, cars, motorcycles, etc. clearly states that you should Never exceed the listed capacity ratings/limits

Probabilities....
    1. Likely your truck/trailer combination will be over the RAWR
    2. Likely your truck/trailer combination will be over tire load capacity ratings
    3. Likely your truck/trailer combination will be over the towing capacity

The bottom line is that the choice is yours on what truck/trailer combination to have, drive, tow with, but in my humble opinion, common sense is not in play here when 4 different items are clearly out of the range of common sense because those items exceed listed capacities, and at least three items are suspect, as well as very likely/probable....again, my opinion.
    Last edited by xrated; 09-23-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast