User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC to DC Charger Install.

Thought I'd put a dedicated post in place for my installation. I think I've listed parts of the install in various threads and figured I'd get it all in one place with the rest of my mods (posted here).

I ran 4 gauge wire directly from my battery on the driver's side (attached to a terminal post I installed on the batter connector); to a 60 amp circuit breaker; to a solenoid controlled by an up fitter switch; to the Anderson connector in the bed of the truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	43133

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	43134

Name:	IMG_1675D.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	43137

Then ran more 4 gauge wire from the front bay, up through the RV to the hitch to the other Anderson connector. I connect the 12v charge wire from the 7 pin connector to the "trigger" connector on the DC to DC charger.

Name:	EFFE186D-8DD4-4F36-84A8-F3F6BFAD9C88.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	43136

kalakamods
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-21-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased 4 of those Chinese circuit breakers and none worked well. All are in the garbage now. It would not be a bad idea to do a voltage drop on that breaker [when the circuit is under load] and see what kind of voltage loss you are getting. Mine was about .5v. I would be curious to know what the voltage you are getting at the front of your charger vs the voltage you are getting at the starting point [ie, starting battery]. I have been debating to go with a 2ga or the 4ga. It's such a long run so there is going to be some drop. I know the charger kinda compensates for that, but if it's just a few dollars more, I would choose the larger gauge.

What size is the charger?

Looking tidy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I purchased 4 of those Chinese circuit breakers and none worked well. All are in the garbage now. It would not be a bad idea to do a voltage drop on that breaker [when the circuit is under load] and see what kind of voltage loss you are getting. Mine was about .5v. I would be curious to know what the voltage you are getting at the front of your charger vs the voltage you are getting at the starting point [ie, starting battery]. I have been debating to go with a 2ga or the 4ga. It's such a long run so there is going to be some drop. I know the charger kinda compensates for that, but if it's just a few dollars more, I would choose the larger gauge.

What size is the charger?

Looking tidy.
    I remember that you didn’t like those breakers. So fa they are ok. The next time I’ll pay more attention to the brand.

When I measured from the battery to the connector in the bed after the initial installation it was a 3% loss. I’ll remeasure the voltages when I hook up again. It might be a few weeks tho.

It’s a 40 amp charger. I cleaned up the whole mess in there when I put the charger in. I’ve since drawn up a basic wiring diagram for all that stuff and taped it to the wall in the bay; if for nothing else than to keep me from having to sort through it all again if/when the need arises.

If I’m honest with myself, I don’t think I needed the charger. I mostly just drive less than 6 hours a day and the battery was fine with the truck’s charging system. I rationalized my decision by convincing myself a more steady or constant voltage was better. Now I ‘m worried I don’t “exercise” the battery enough.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of rationalizing. If I really thought about this whole RV thing, I would find it's a lot of wasted money. In the end, I think I like the challenge of the build. Once it's done, I rationalize something else.

I've got $14k in my bicycle and I can prove to myself everything on it will make me that much faster. My wife looks at me as says, no it does not. What does she know? She's stupid enough to marry me.