Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing Entrance Step Grab Rail

I retracted one of our awnings today and somehow the Stromberg Carlson step grab rail had swung 90 degrees toward the awning and the awning crushed it. Fortunately no damage to the awning rails. I am really surprised the awning arms didn't pull loose from the walls. I need to replace it and wondering if anyone has replaced theirs? Looks like a matter of removing four screws and replacing grab bar. I don't like surprises so thought I'd ask. I see no part number on the grab bar only manufacture of Stromberg Carlson. I see one on Amazon listed as part number AM-800. Plan to call Grand Design to confirm.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing happen on our Reflection fifth wheel - the grab rail got moved toward the slide and caught on the slide frame flange when the slide was retracted. Replacement is very simple and takes about 10 minutes. I ordered one from Amazon and had it shipped straight to the park where we were staying on the coast of Maine at the time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider this: https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...ps%2C71&sr=8-1

Same footprint as the AM-800. I don't know from experience (I still have my original), but always felt if I were to replace it, this would be the way I'd go.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies. Called Grand Design and they confirmed the Stomberg Carlson AM-800 listed on Amazon is the correct grab bar. About $20 less then ordering from Grand Design. I have to commend the Grand Design parts and service reps. Extremely helpful, first class. Found a utube video showing replacement procedure. As second chance stated about 10 minute job.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider the upgrade as Keebler suggested above. I did both of mine. It's nice having the extra length.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you consider the enhanced replacement, consider this: with the RV Lock digital entry lock on our 310GK, the handle doesn't fold completely flat any more. It touches the door lock and protrudes slightly - not enough to cause a problem with the OEM handle, but the elongated handle might stick out enough to be an issue.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015