Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Aid

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Aid

Bought the trailer aid plus a few weeks ago and it wouldn't lift tire high enough to change.
    Mounted it on a 2x6 and it worked great, pulled forward to grab the rear tire and backed to catch the front tire.
    Was concerned that it might slip on the 2x6 so I drilled pilot holes for the studs on the bottom of the trailer aid.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	2708
    Here's what it looks like when it's ready to go.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	210 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	2709
    Wish I would have thought to snap a pic with tire in the air.
    2x6 helper raises tire ~2" off the ground, so actually might be okay using a 1x6.
    As easy as this is to use, don't know why I would ever use a jack.

John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is a great idea. It would also make it very easy to repack the bearings or adjust/service the brakes.

Jim

notnsuv
    That's funny. Not 10 minutes ago I tried my Trailer Aid with the same result. I just grabbed a plastic ramp I use around the shop and put it in the pickup. Will mod the TA later since we hit the road about 6am.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great, Good luck on your trip up there and here's hoping we never have to use it.
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the original Trailer Aid- the new model I think is called "Plus". Anyways I used it on our Reflection to pull a wheel just to spot check a tire for the infamous grease seal leak. I was alarmed at how narrow the Trailer Aid was as compared to the width of the Westlake tire, so much so I am concerned about possible tire damage as so little if the tire is actually supporting the RV. In my opinion, the Aid should be another 4" wider than it is. Between the questionable reliability of the Westlakes and the little width of the tire that is supported on this ramp, I'm back to using a bottle jack.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, I have the plus and will measure the overhang.
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I have the original Trailer Aid- the new model I think is called "Plus". Anyways I used it on our Reflection to pull a wheel just to spot check a tire for the infamous grease seal leak. I was alarmed at how narrow the Trailer Aid was as compared to the width of the Westlake tire, so much so I am concerned about possible tire damage as so little if the tire is actually supporting the RV. In my opinion, the Aid should be another 4" wider than it is. Between the questionable reliability of the Westlakes and the little width of the tire that is supported on this ramp, I'm back to using a bottle jack.
    I wonder if you could bolt two of them together?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you could. The other issue with the standard ( not the Plus model) is the height. You'll need to use a 2x6 as well to give you the additional height to lift the good tire so the flat tire will clear the ground. To me that's just too much after-market engineering to be required on my part to make this work. The Plus model does provide an additional height but I don't know if it's wider.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Bought the trailer aid plus a few weeks ago and it wouldn't lift tire high enough to change.
    Mounted it on a 2x6 and it worked great, pulled forward to grab the rear tire and backed to catch the front tire.
    Was concerned that it might slip on the 2x6 so I drilled pilot holes for the studs on the bottom of the trailer aid.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	162 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	2708
    Here's what it looks like when it's ready to go.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	210 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	2709
    Wish I would have thought to snap a pic with tire in the air.
    2x6 helper raises tire ~2" off the ground, so actually might be okay using a 1x6.
    As easy as this is to use, don't know why I would ever use a jack.

John
    Well shoot. Guess who just ran into the same problem? No way that tire was coming off with just the Trailer Aid Plus. Glad I was doing this in the backyard the first time and not on the road! I'll have to mod mine like John's...

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between this gizmo not being wide enough to fully support the tire or tall enough to get the tire off the ground, one has to wonder what exactly was this thing designed for ? Maybe landscaper trailers with 14" tires or golf carts to lift a tire off the ground enough to allow someone to retrieve a tee that got stuck in the undercarriage ?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast