User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air will trap in the high portions and only with enough flow you will push those air bubbles out. Sometimes it's darn near impossible and it takes moving the high spots lower. Not easy with in a trailer. Once you do get the air out, take great care never to allow air to get in there again.

Don't forget to service the brake fluid every couple years.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like there is a bleeder valve on the pump itself, which is presumably the highest point.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your truck set up correctly? On my Ford, had to go into trailer settings to tell it I had electric over hydraulic brakes. First time out, Performance Trailer Braking had me go about 20 mph and stop hard several times to set everything. Mine work great with a 5.5 setting.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes there is a high spot in the brake line. If there is not enough flow, then the air will sit there. Flow is your friend when bleeding brakes. I you can't get the flow, then you just need to route the lines so air can easily move along with the fluid during the bleeding process.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted my tri-axle boat trailer to disc brakes. I love the stopping power, however I notice a delay when initially applying the brakes. Does anyone else have this issue? Not sure if I should attribute it to the proportioning brake controller or if I might still have air in the lines. The brakes will lock up if I get on them hard enough, there’s just that initial one or two second delay. Towing with a 22 Sierra 3500 AT4

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougpb80 View Post
    I converted my tri-axle boat trailer to disc brakes. I love the stopping power, however I notice a delay when initially applying the brakes. Does anyone else have this issue? Not sure if I should attribute it to the proportioning brake controller or if I might still have air in the lines. The brakes will lock up if I get on them hard enough, there’s just that initial one or two second delay. Towing with a 22 Sierra 3500 AT4
    You could have some air in the lines EOH brakes will have some delay, that is quickly made up for when they engage. Some pumps are faster than others. I replaced the factory Hydrastar with a Brakerite which is noticably faster, due to it's 5 piston design
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    Had IS and Disks installed. We went on a test ride and the brakes didn't blow me out of the water like some claimed. I have a 2021 Ram and it has the (heavy) EOH option selected. On setting 6 it rolls right through the brakes when manually holding the controller. On level 7 it slows an idle roll and stops it. Level 8 seemed adequate. While driving I need it on 8 to get comparable braking to the drums, maybe slightly better.

They made some calls and determined I needed a couple hundred miles to set the pads and I will notice better stopping then. It was a 110 miles home, mostly highway, but still some slow downs and stop lights. I took a look at the rotors and they barely look like the pads have touched them yet. I would had assumed the coating would had wore off on the drive home. Is this normal?

Attachment 43176

Attachment 43177

Level 8 seems awfully high. I was set about 6.5 with the drums.
    My brake controller takes a setting of 11.5 to get the proper application of brake power. When I use it for my covered utility trailer, I have to reset for drum brakes and drop to around a 5 or 6. It took awhile for me experimenting with settings to figure out the best setting. There was never any mind blowing difference for me when I switched. It was a subtle difference, but significant when I realized what was going on. The braking power was SO smooth and seamless, I had to think about what was going on. The truck no longer felt like it was being pushed around by the trailer. There was no feeling of the truck braking first, then the trailer brakes catching up. No surging, or slack banging. Just a smooth even reduction of speed and motion. That is the way I describe it. The other great advantage is changing pads, instead of pulling hubs and all the crap that goes with shoes and magnets. Let us know if additional adjustments and experimentation help. You do have a brake controller that is compatible with hydraulic- electric, right?
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougpb80 View Post
    I have no delay in my system. That was the thing that made it hard at first to notice the difference compared to drum- electric. I always had a Jerky delay before. I have the brakelite unit.
    Last edited by deerislandbrew; 10-02-2022 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling..
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, my truck has ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC option built in and it's selected. I stated that in the first post. I am going to bleed the brakes this week and see how it tows next weekend.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I did a thorough job of bleeding the brakes several times initially but will give it another go just in case I missed some air. Like I said, they work great, just a short delay initially. I have the dexter brake rite which I believe has the five or six piston design as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast