User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New disk brake question

Had IS and Disks installed. We went on a test ride and the brakes didn't blow me out of the water like some claimed. I have a 2021 Ram and it has the (heavy) EOH option selected. On setting 6 it rolls right through the brakes when manually holding the controller. On level 7 it slows an idle roll and stops it. Level 8 seemed adequate. While driving I need it on 8 to get comparable braking to the drums, maybe slightly better.

They made some calls and determined I needed a couple hundred miles to set the pads and I will notice better stopping then. It was a 110 miles home, mostly highway, but still some slow downs and stop lights. I took a look at the rotors and they barely look like the pads have touched them yet. I would had assumed the coating would had wore off on the drive home. Is this normal?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220922_161914.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	43176

Name:	20220922_162441.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	43177

Level 8 seems awfully high. I was set about 6.5 with the drums.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there is air in the brake line.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    He did have to change something so the whole system was removed and re-installed and bled again. If it was done correctly I can't say. They said it's pretty simple. You just pull the E plug and that engages the brakes and you just go around and crack the bleeders and keep reservoir filled.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds easy enough, like a vehicle. Not familiar with the system they use, was just throwing an idea out there.

With the breakaway switch pulled, this should engage full brakes. I wonder if you pulled it, then jacked up each wheel individually and see if the wheel can turn or not. Might at least point you in the right direction. If that works, it pretty much eliminates the RV as the issue and redirects the cause to your truck.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2 cents, but it's probably air in the lines. I had air in my lines and had to bleed it out. I didn't pull the breakaway pin, but hooked the truck up and had my daughter hold the break switch as I went around and bled them, adding fluid after each one. On the third one, had air come out for several seconds. After doing all off them, the trailer stopped in a dime at setting 5 on my 2019 F350 with the effort setting to low. Huge difference.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to add that my disc breaks work great. I run at about a 5.5 setting on my Ford controller.

If I manually activate the brakes I can lock them up. And in some rather panicky stops I've noticed one of my tires lock up.

So, for sure, you should feel those brakes grab.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I concur. It can take a LOT of fluid and several bleedings to get all of the air out. Air can hide in high spots of the lines. These are pretty long lines. I would have at least a gallon of brake fluid on hand and do not try to economize when bleeding. Aim fo a 100% fluid change out.
    Air in the lines is the #1 cause for poor performance.
    Those disc brakes should have you griining from ear to ear when working right.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    Had IS and Disks installed. We went on a test ride and the brakes didn't blow me out of the water like some claimed. I have a 2021 Ram and it has the (heavy) EOH option selected. On setting 6 it rolls right through the brakes when manually holding the controller. On level 7 it slows an idle roll and stops it. Level 8 seemed adequate. While driving I need it on 8 to get comparable braking to the drums, maybe slightly better.

They made some calls and determined I needed a couple hundred miles to set the pads and I will notice better stopping then. It was a 110 miles home, mostly highway, but still some slow downs and stop lights. I took a look at the rotors and they barely look like the pads have touched them yet. I would had assumed the coating would had wore off on the drive home. Is this normal?

With my setup (factory disc brakes), which is almost identical to your setup, I use 7 on the brake controller to get the braking I want. I have used 7.5 several times, and it is not a bad setting, I just feel a little more tugging of the trailer than I want. I have tried 6.5 a number of times, but it is not enough. I am currently around 14,900 lbs, and I know you are heavier, so maybe your setting is correct? For whatever reason, the setting on the RAM controller is higher than Ford and Chevy, and from what I have read, not uncommon.

When I am slowing down, somewhere around 10 mph or so, I feel the trailer braking being reduced. I know the modern controllers vary the amount of braking, apparently RAM does that so the trailer brakes will not lock up at the slower speeds? I would guess there is some software logic that is using the controller setting and the actual truck braking.

I had to replace the caliper and disc on one of my wheels recently (separate thread here on that ordeal), and used the emergency braking system to help me bleed the brakes.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 09-23-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post

Name:	20220922_161914.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	43176

Name:	20220922_162441.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	43177

Who did your upgrade? Getting ready to have mine done next spring by Moryde.

For that kind of money there shouldn't be a learning curve. IMO, it should have been done correctly before you got the trailer back.. Long brake lines, EOH, seating the pads/rotors, etc... sure, but IMO, that should be done before you leave the facility by the techs doing it. No moving vehicle should ever go out the door not stopping properly, and customers/owners dont typically have the knowledge (or should be required) to know how to facilitate those types of mechanical issues.. again IMHO.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I concur. It can take a LOT of fluid and several bleedings to get all of the air out. Air can hide in high spots of the lines. These are pretty long lines. I would have at least a gallon of brake fluid on hand and do not try to economize when bleeding. Aim fo a 100% fluid change out.
    Air in the lines is the #1 cause for poor performance.
    Those disc brakes should have you griining from ear to ear when working right.
    Excellent advice! I installed disk brakes (from Performance Braking) last year, and never got to use the RV after the install till this summer. First time out I had the controller at 9-10, and still had a difficult time stopping with the RV brakes. So I put the RV back in the shop and bled the brakes again. At first it was nothing but fluid on all 4 wheels, but my mindset was to thoroughly flush the system. It took a lot of fluid, but eventually I saw air coming out of the lines. Brakes now work like they should.

As a side note - My brother-in-law had IS installed on his RV earlier this year. There was no test ride when the install was completed.
    Jon & Melanie
    Dover, DE
    2019 Solitude 372WB-R
    2023 GMC 3500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast