User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800BH or 2910BH with F150 HDPP

All...my wife is anxious to upgrade our travel trailer. Currently have a Jayco hybrid, which has served us well. But we have 4 kids and are running out of room.

I've been researching Grand Design models and really like what I'm seeing. I am considering either the 2800BH or 2910BH...the latter being the preferred. Does anyone have experience or insight into the capability of an F150 with the heavy duty payload package (HDPP) in towing one of these two? Payload shouldn't be an issue...I'm at 2,455. And per the Ford towing guide, I should have a tow capacity of at least 10,700 with my specs. What I'm more concerned about is towing something the length of the 2910 (just under 34 feet) and experiencing significant sway. Most forum posts say that an F150 shouldn't tow something this length. But then others chime in and say an F150 with HDPP can do it just fine. Does anyone have any real-world experience with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the wheelbase on your truck?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    What's the wheelbase on your truck?
    SuperCrew....so 157"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a new 2800bh and have a 2018 ford f150 with HD tow package, and my ProPride 3P hitch is on its way picking up trailer on Wednesday. Will post how it tows.
    Last edited by Seabee66; 09-23-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vtreconciled View Post
    SuperCrew....so 157"
    so standard or long bed on that thing? You're fine but I'd get a ProPride. I have 143.5" WB and tow a 29'8" trailer. ProPride is worth every penny when towing towards the limits with a half ton.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    so standard or long bed on that thing? You're fine but I'd get a ProPride. I have 143.5" WB and tow a 29'8" trailer. ProPride is worth every penny when towing towards the limits with a half ton.
    It's the 6.5 foot bed...which is the long bed for the Crew cab.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, welcome to the group. That's a long trailer for an F150. Since you already have the truck, punch in those numbers off of the yellow sticker in the door on here https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/ and use the GVWR. Use 15% of the TT GVWR for the tongue weight. This will give you an idea of where you stand umber wise. You'll need to add weight for passengers, cargo you'll be carrying in the truck including the wdh. Propride is the best wdh but also the most expensive and heaviest. Let us know how it comes out.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your truck is about the same wheelbase as a typical F250 crew cab ‘short bed’. Most of us with F150s have the 145in wheelbase. Not sure how much it helps you, but I’m very comfortable with our trailer at 29’9”, blue ox hitch, and 145” wheelbase. I wouldn’t go much bigger on my wheelbase, but if I had bought the long bed ~32-34’ would be my limit. Your HDPP helps even more. I will say, dialing in the hitch makes such a difference. One chain link on ours went from ‘uncomfortable but not unsafe’ to ‘there’s a trailer back there?’

So really in my mind the big difference between you and a bigger truck is just the extra 1000# of weight in a 250 helping the truck control the trailer.

Best of luck in your search for the right solution!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See my signature. My 2670MK is in the same spec range as the trailers you are looking at. My 2012 HDPP has less payload at 2166, but far, far more than needed for the trailer. The now old Ecoboost does great. Truck says we have about 12,000 miles on this trailer. Heading from Minn. to the Gulf Coast this coming weekend with it all. Have not super stress tested this combo with extreme mountain grades, but have done a lot of the Appalachian's with no issues. With the old 5th in the signature (about same length, weight) did the Rockies, Sierras and many other 6-8% grades at very high altitudes for many miles. The only down side? With the 5th got 10.5mpg. With the trailer get about 8 overall. I blame additional drag as the air drops over the cab, to the bed topper, and then slams into the front of the trailer. With the 5th, likely went up and over better.
    While the ProPride is fantastic, and I highly recommend - I got mine because my 2670MK is VERY light on the tongue and I got sway. Rather than collect hitches, I just went with the ProPride. The price may give you a long pause. Solicit advice from others about what the actual tongue weight percents are in real life for the trailers you are looking at, and what hitches they are using.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2800BH with a 157" WB max tow, non-HDPP. Until yesterday I was very happy with the way it towed, had ~20mph crosswinds and well it never felt as unsafe as my prior TT it did make me get off the interstate the rest of the way.
    I imagine the the HDPP with stiffer suspension would be a little better.

I may be looking into the Pro Pride, or just plan on slower roads if conditions warrant
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro