User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy Silverado 2500HD trailer camera question

I have this new 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, Duramax, with the High Country package.

It has the capability to include a rear view camera on the back of my 5th wheel into the various (many) built-in camera views on the dash screen.

To those of you who have done this, what have you installed and how does it work? Is there any way to do a wireless camera?

I already own both the Furrion and Haloview wireless systems and have used these with the add-on monitor stuck on the dash of my old F-250. The Haloview includes side marker cameras. I am imagining that these are NOT usable with the fancy Chevy set-up, true?

Thanks for time and indulgence.

Allen
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used the search function (upper right on the menu bar) and looked for "GM trailer camera" - came up with a number of threads including several folks who have installed them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know it only works with the wired camera that GM sells. But it does work great even if your rig is too long for the transparent trailer feature.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my install info.

GM Trailer Camera
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I just used the search function (upper right on the menu bar) and looked for "GM trailer camera" - came up with a number of threads including several folks who have installed them.

Rob
    Thank you. That was a very productive search.
    Ordinarily I am a fiend for searching. Got last this time.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Here is my install info.

GM Trailer Camera
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    FlyStar, very nice write up. I learned a few things.

I got to wondering. What might happen if one put a camera on a fifth wheel but then lied to the truck and set up a trailer profile as a bumper pull? Put in all the accurate dimensions except for the hitch location and tongue length.

The GM guidance on the set up is here,
    https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/...CustGde_F1.pdf

In there, they say the composite image is built up from the
    tailgate camera
    2 outside mirror cameras
    trailer rearview camera

The GM algorithm that stitches it all together makes some calculation about what portion of the tailgate view is blocked and how trailer camera swings sideways during turns. Thus a "fake" profile might lead to some blocked portions of the screen and some funny image shifting during turns.. But it might still be good enough.

Has anyone tried this?
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case the rig is too long and I put the camera up too high for the transparent view to work properly. I knew this going in and that is why I mounted it up high knowing I would not get the magic but wanting the view from up high. I couldn’t bring myself to put the camera in the middle of the back of the trailer and run a wire across. Even if my rig was short enough for the t transparent view to work, I don’t think I would mount the camera there. The magic is not worth it to me. However, I’ve played with the transparent view with my set up and I get a view that does not stitch up correctly. But it works but it’s distracting.

All the other cool features offered in the GM system work great. I get a great view of the road behind. When I use the turn signals, I get a view of the side of the whole rig and watch the trailer tires and can avoid running up over curbs. I can see and avoid vehicles if they pull up next to me while I’m swinging wide to turn.

There are several different views available for backing up that combine the mirror side cameras and the trailer camera. These are well thought out and utilize info from the steering as well to make a useful and dynamic composite image. This all works great.

Every once in a while the system warns me that I’m turning too sharp when backing up and about to jackknife. This probably has nothing to do with the cameras. And. It seems conservative to me. when it issues the warning i’m nowhere near jackknife trouble.

The camera is inexpensive as well. But you have already paid plenty for the truck option that supports it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new 2024 camera system is supposed to work with 5th wheels but no more details as of yet. I wonder if the older system will be able to be updated with software.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you are correct that a software update may enable 5th wheel functionality a year from now.

With that rumor and the reported benefits of the system even when non-transparent I don't see much downside to installing a camera.

Plus, I can put my 3-camera wireless Haloview on a rearview mirror mount!
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"