User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used 28BH Realistic Pricing??

Hello everyone!

I have been a lurker on here for quite awhile. We have owned a non-Grand Design TT for the past 10 years. We just sold it and now we are looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel. We are pretty dead set on a 28BH (2021 or 2022 model year). Since GD is no longer making the 28BH, we are forced to buy a used rig and the pricing seem pretty darn high. I know the rule of thumb prior to covid was 20-30% off MSRP. Most of the units on RV Trader and FB Marketplace have pricing from the upper $40Ks to upper $50K. Most all of them are slowly dropping pricing since I feel like the demand right now isn't what is was, plus crazy high interest rates. I know this is subjective since there are a number of variables at play here, but does it seem crazy for a used 2021 28BH priced at $47K, when brand new you might have been able to get it for the same price? Now, during covid, I know dealers were not discounting like they were prior to covid. I just want to be smart about pricing expectations for a 2 year old rig.

Any thoughts are appreciated. There are a lot of smart ladies and gents on this forum and I look forward to joining the GD family at some point!

Thanks!
    Jon
    Jon
    2023 F-350 Lariat SB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 & 2021 <fill in the make & model>'s Built During Covid......Free or Best Offer! Warranty Extra!

LOL!

On the more serious note.... have heard new RVs are comming back to reality pricing, but would think those who have purchased and paid "more" for the 1-2yr old market might be hard pressed to sell for alot less. Used prices might still be competitive with current new RV discounted pricing for like models.

Heck, even heard Camping World may start selling new GD RVs? Sounds like alot of GD stock to go around.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 09-18-2023 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Clarity and topic.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be interesting to watch used trailer pricing and sales for the next few years. During Covid lots of folks paid premium prices and financed long term. They now owe lots of money on a rapidly depreciating asset.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    It's going to be interesting to watch used trailer pricing and sales for the next few years. During Covid lots of folks paid premium prices and financed long term. They now owe lots of money on a rapidly depreciating asset.
    Im thinking Johnny Carson playing Carmac The Magnificent holding up a sealed letter to his head and predicting a RV Junk Bond market.....
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not buy anything that was built during COVID. Heard to many stories about all the problems people are having with them. My dad has a 2021 31mb that was built in 2020 and it has been great. Would stay away from units built in 2021 or 2022.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 09-19-2023 at 05:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    This is my biggest concern. I don't want to buy just because I'm married to the 28BH layout. Might start looking at similar layouts that are 2023's.
    Jon
    2023 F-350 Lariat SB

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are crazy times to purchase an RV, TV, and even a house. Houses around me have doubled, plus add the high interest rates. As mentioned earlier, during Covid, people paid full MSRP and more on top of the 20% or more MSRP price change. Right now, we could sell our 2020 for a lot more than what we paid. If you do go ahead and purchase a Covid built rig, I recommend doing a thorough inspection or either hiring an inspector. The Covid years weren't the best built years due to labor and parts outages. Prices are coming down, but I don't think they ever be back down to what they were.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Im thinking Johnny Carson playing Carmac The Magnificent holding up a sealed letter to his head and predicting a RV Junk Bond market.....
    Hey, that's classic! Except it was Carnac.

Where I live the used market is flooded right now but prices are high on late model trailers because of what they sold for a couple of years ago. If you are selling a 4-5 year old clean trailer you might well get what you paid for it. With new sales softening and MSRP's coming down, I'm betting you can buy a new trailer for a little more money than a 2 year old unit. And it's probably going to be better built.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    I would not buy anything that was built during COVID. Heard to many stories about all the problems people are having with them. My dad has a 2021 31mb that was built in 2020 and it has been great. Would stay away from units built in 2021 or 2022.
    I have a 21 and it is great. The “Covid build” scare is just nonsense. They have good and bad every year. I know a lot of people who have 21 and 22 models and they are great. I had a 2019 and my 21 has had far fewer issues.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    I have a 21 and it is great. The “Covid build” scare is just nonsense. They have good and bad every year. I know a lot of people who have 21 and 22 models and they are great. I had a 2019 and my 21 has had far fewer issues.
    I agree 100 percent

There was a lot of trailers put on the road in the last 3 years of course issues are just going to increase

Just like Goodyears vs Westlakes. Now that Goodyears are becoming more popular they are having issues as well
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast