User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starlink install with Harbor Freight flag pole

We recently got our Starlink and after some thought on how we wanted to mount the dishy, where to place the router etc... we did the install last weekend. We mostly boondock so we wanted some flexibility on where the pole for the dishy could be located. I see lots of people using ladder mounts but most campgrounds that we are in will require the dishy to be at the front of the 31G as that's the most likely spot for open sky.

I already have the wiring for our Victron equipment in the front bedroom cabinet and there is readily available 120v plugs there so that made the most sense. I drilled a 3/4" hole thru the floor and fed the cable thru. Drilled the counter top for a desk grommet and setup the router on there. Sealed the hole in the floor on the top and bottom with 3M strip caulk that will remain flexible just in case I ever need to remove the cable.

I saw a YouTube video that used the weight distribution bar bracket on the tongue to mount the sleeve that came with the Harbor Freight flag pole so I decided to use that as the primary mount. Couple of notches cut in the sleeve to keep the bottom of the sleeve locked onto the bracket. 2 - 3x7 U bolts complete the mount. I carry a 3/8" cordless impact so left the regular nuts on the U bolts after shortening them to fit the application. Saw some other people use wing nuts if that's more convenient. Snugging up the U bolts will slightly deform the tube so insert the pole before final tightening of the U bolts.

Also, I bought an adapter made to lock the dishy into the Harbor Freight flag pole on Etsy from a seller called Remotely Connected. Worked perfectly.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1252028...search_click=1

I once had a 200ah gel battery on the tongue in a Noco battery box and I left the box there when I switched to the 300ah Chins under the bed so that's the perfect place to store the cable.

I also purchased a tire mount from Flagpole to go as a secondary mounting option that could go under the tire or under the tongue jack. Fits the harbor Freight flag pole perfectly.

https://flagpoletogo.com/products/tire-mount

Last edited by TerryH; 09-26-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write up.

We also use a Harbour Freight $50 20' colapsable flag pole for our Yagi directional cellular antenna mounted on our ladder. We run the LMR400 cable thru the center of the pole using a special aluminum truck mount replacement we had made at a local machine shop. We also came up thru the floor of our 295RL into a booster in the rear of the trailer and then to a inside ceiling mounted cell antenna. Weve been to several CGs with atleast 1 bar of 4g (using our cell provider) and it works great! Wife can VPN for work, and we can also stream movies too. Of course, keeping in mind the limitations of band width and tower usage, we only do 1080 or less resolution. We even run a flag on it occasionally as well while boosting with no issues.

Harbour Freight certainly offers reasonable priced quality flag poles for sure!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Good write up.

We also use a Harbour Freight $50 20' colapsable flag pole for our Yagi directional cellular antenna mounted on our ladder. We run the LMR400 cable thru the center of the pole using a special aluminum truck mount replacement we had made at a local machine shop. We also came up thru the floor of our 295RL into a booster in the rear of the trailer and then to a inside ceiling mounted cell antenna. Weve been to several CGs with atleast 1 bar of 4g (using our cell provider) and it works great! Wife can VPN for work, and we can also stream movies too. Of course, keeping in mind the limitations of band width and tower usage, we only do 1080 or less resolution. We even run a flag on it occasionally as well while boosting with no issues.

Harbour Freight certainly offers reasonable priced quality flag poles for sure!
    Apparently the Starlink craze has caused a run on the poles at Harbor Freight. None local for a good while now. We were attending my Mother-in-law's birthday party an hour away and they had stock at that Harbor Freight so I grabbed one. After seeing how sturdy it is I kinda wish I have bought another since they had two in stock. I fly a couple of flags on a Poles and Holders fiberglass pole that is not nearly as robust. We would have opted for a similar setup as you have but we camp in multiple spots that have zero cell coverage. Hoping the Starlink is the answer for those spots.
    Last edited by TerryH; 09-26-2022 at 11:12 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Apparently the Starlink craze has caused a run on the poles at Harbor Freight. None local for a good while now. We were attending my Mother-in-law's birthday party an hour away and they had stock at that Harbor Freight so I grabbed one. After seeing how sturdy it is I kinda wish I have bought another since they had two in stock. I fly a couple of flags on a Poles and Holders fiberglass pole that is not nearly as robust. We would have opted for a similar setup as you have but we camp in multiple spots that have zero cell coverage. Hoping the Starlink is the answer for those spots.
    From what others have posted, Starlink does well. We went the mobile route due to having a cell service already and not wanting to get into another monthly payment for service. Our dish 211k does most of our tv viewing, just need to be able to VPN for wifes work mainly and occasional internet browsing. We also camp at sites that carry our cell provider in some capacity. If we eventually boondock, would probably look into something like Starlink.

As for the poles, our local Harbour freight typically carries the colapsable ones in stock.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice instructions, thanks!

So, other than theft deterrence, what is the advantage of putting the antenna on a pole?
    I've been using the 4 legged stand on the ground, or plopping it on the roof.
    So far, as long as there's a clear view to the north sky (as checked with the app), I'm good.
    signature

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post

So, other than theft deterrence, what is the advantage of putting the antenna on a pole?
    So far, as long as there's a clear view to the north sky (as checked with the app), I'm good.
    Might still use one or more of those options. Other have had success with getting the dishy higher to clear obstructions. We're going to have to deal with trees in several of our spots. Hoping this will enable a clearer view of the sky.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Terry, I’m going to borrow your idea of securing the harbor freight flag pole to the sway bar brackets. I’m been attaching my flag pole to the roof ladder but I also want to mount my cell phone antenna there too. The mounting of the flag pole to the front of the rv will help tremendously! Thanks for the pictures and detailed description! Happy camping.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my pole mount. Works great for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starlink Pole Mount.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	44398
    2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2019 Silverado 4X4 RST
    1966 Chevelle SS
    2012 Vans RV-10

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tompotts View Post
    Here is my pole mount. Works great for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starlink Pole Mount.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	44398
    Now that is clever.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post

I know this is a responce to an older post, but the reason for us using the flag pole are for convenience, Yagi antennae mount whether flying a flag or not, and being able to gain height to get better signal in low lying areas.

The other benefit is the mount. By placing the flag pole on the ladder, we can store it on the RV when not in use. It also allows for an additional 4 extra feet of extension above the RV (if needed). Being that we can collapse down beneath the RV roof when not in use, we can also secure it and the Yagi antennae to the ladder with bungy cord. This set up makes it real easy and convenient to travel, store, extend, collapse, fly a flag, and/or receive directional boosted cell signal. Typically takes 10 minutes to put up (remove bungy cords, extend pole, align Yagi to cell tower, and connect LMR cable to remote 'N' connector under the RV - leave LMR connected to Yagi full-time and store excess cable rolled up and secured under RV frame/bumper). Same amount of time to store just in reverse of course.

Been using this for a year now at multiple campgrounds with limited cell service (1 to 2 bars) to great service, and it has worked great!

Note: We do plan our RV stays with our carriers cell service available in the area.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast