User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to bug out, but where to go?

Being we are only inland about 20 miles from Tampa I think it is a good idea to get outta the area. This is our first time living here with a hurricane on the way so I am now trying to figure out where to go and how long to plan to be there. I would like to leave early tomorrow but I am committed to taking my neighbor for a medical procedure tomorrow late morning so it will likely be afternoon before we can hit the road. I will play it by ear for that. but I would like to get something set up for the remainder of the time we will need to be hiding from the weather.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Being we are only inland about 20 miles from Tampa I think it is a good idea to get outta the area. This is our first time living here with a hurricane on the way so I am now trying to figure out where to go and how long to plan to be there. I would like to leave early tomorrow but I am committed to taking my neighbor for a medical procedure tomorrow late morning so it will likely be afternoon before we can hit the road. I will play it by ear for that. but I would like to get something set up for the remainder of the time we will need to be hiding from the weather.
    I've never been in your circumstances as far as running from a Hurricane, but it seems to me that keeping a close eye on the predicted (I know it is somewhat guesswork from the NWS) path of the storm is the wise thing to do. Based on their projections, you might have options for heading south or north....maybe even east as far as the Atlantic ocean area. I haven't really been watching much TV about the storm, so I have no idea about any possible projected paths/directions, etc. One thing is for sure, if it reaches to even a CAT 3 level, I would be gone. Good luck and stay safe.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are from Texas and have been through a lot of hurricanes, they are nothing to screw with. Cat 3 or 4 are extremely dangerous! I hate to say it but its getting late to evacuate, are you sure they are still going to do the medical procedure and not postpone it? There are reports already of gas stations running out of fuel so people are stuck out of fuel and the later you wait the more huge traffic jams you will encounter. People should be leaving now or already gone, especially RVers. If it was me I would have already left to get to the FLA panhandle, then turn west and head to Alabama, even better Texas. Storm is expected to make a right hook and go up through Georgia. You can always find accommodations, even boondock out of the path of the storm until you find an available campground
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-26-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the Space Coast. Once I bugged out to Tampa, once I bugged out to Gulf Shores, AL, once I stayed at Gulf Shores. It really depends on which way the storm is going.

As of now, it is getting closer and closer to Tampa. I am staying put this time (am in a concrete house with a strong room in it - more for tornadoes than hurricanes - and my rig is garaged here at the house too). Usually I leave but this time I'm not. I had considered going to the kids house in Charlotte but we aren't.

Maybe you can go east and a bit south. Lots of room here at The Great Outdoors, but if I was bugging out from Tampa I would just drive a bit further. Maybe head to the FL/AL boarder - NOW.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're too late.
    I would have left 2 days ago.

Traffic, diesel and gas must be impossible by now.

Get out if you can. 20 miles from Tampa is a bad location.

Issue with storm will be the duration over warm water.

Not good.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the sounds of it going north you're just trying to stay in front of the storm. The storm effects are supposed to start hitting Tampa by Wednesday morning. With the taffic jams trying to get out I would be afraid that it would catch up to me. As Steven said I think I would be heading in a south by east direction. Like a tornado they say to never try and outrun it. Go sideways to avoid it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the first report of a hurricane headed in my general direction I would have kept an eye on the storm and the best forecast of where the storm is headed, I would evacuate the area way before the evacuation warnings start and leave early with your RV in tow, you'll miss a lot of the travel headaches and not have as much trouble. These hurricanes cover a huge geographical area, high winds and huge rain totals.

Trying to travel now north from the Tampa area up through FLA like along interstate 75 is going to be a mess, even up into Georgia and points north. Georgia and points north will still get high winds and huge rain accumulations.
    My thinking would be, South and east FLA will still get high winds, tornados and high rain totals, so If I could get to the FLA panhandle then turn West on interstate 10 toward Alabama I probably can make better progress and run into less of a problem with traffic jams and out of fuel gas stations. The Alabama Gulf Shores area would be well out of the storms path.

For the escape trip I would start rationing supplies immediately like food, fresh water, paper supplies and fuel. I would fill our fresh water tank and any gallon jugs or collapsible water bladders I happen to have., and now is the time when owners with tow vehicles with extra fuel tanks will come in real handy. We don't have an extra fuel tank but I would fill both my 5 gallon diesel cans, then fill my generator gas tank and 2.5 gallon gas can. It maybe too late to plan the escape trip / accommodations and would I not want to waist anymore time so as I was driving, the Wife would be on the net checking way ahead for camping accommodations like in the Alabama Gulf Shores area, checking for traffic jams ahead on our route, fuel stops trying to check truck stops ahead as they might have more fuel available than car stations and since we need diesel.

Also when the electrical power starts failing because of the storm, power outages and an overloaded area power grid, you don't know how far and wide power outages will reach so the extra fuel for the generator maybe needed. Also now is the time when you will appreciate your decision to have purchased an extra over all capacity tow vehicle to tow your rig.

For RVers if you evacuate too late you maybe trying to drive through the outer bands of the storm, trying to tow your RV in huge rain bands and high winds and traffic jams. Not something you want to tow your RV through. You will not make much progress escaping the storm and may get caught in it. If its too late to evacuate towing your big rig you maybe better off abandoning the RV and escaping with just your tow vehicle or staying put and going to a shelter and riding it out. Not an ideal situation. Rigs and tow vehicles can be replaced, lives can not.

Add, Wife just told me someone posted on facebook a trip through FLA that took normally 7 hours took 15 hours, but I don't know what route or when that was.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-27-2022 at 09:46 AM. Reason: additional
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you living full-time in your RV? if so, you may want to find a nearby shelter. IMO, 20 miles inland from Tampa will protect you from the surge of water. Your concerns will be wind/rain and possibly tornadoes.
    Russ & Bonnie Schurig
    Land O Lakes, FL
    2021 Grand Design S-Class 3540GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were able to get on the road a little after noon today. We are now at the KOA in Jennings FL, right at the GA line. We have reservations in Opelaka AL until Sunday. When i called them he said if we need to stay longer it should be no problem so we will see what the conditions are at home before we decide for sure when to head back.

Traffic on I75 was not near as bad as I thought it would be. There were a couple of areas where it was slow for a few miles but that is not unusual on I75 anyway. Most of the time I just set the cruise on 65 and let her roll.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . Most of the time I just set the cruise on 65 and let her roll.
    Not bad speed for the day before landfall. Either many left early or are trying to ride it out .

The Jennings stop is where we usually stop the night b4 we land in Bradenton. We prefer the bottom section and the dogs are fascinated by the ugly ducks.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast