User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Welds and Cracked Frame

Just returned from a lengthy trip across the country. Discovered a couple of broken welds where the front cross members are welded to the frame (lower front cap area behind the battery boxes) and cracked frames. Pics attached. I am not overloaded on the hitch and carry what I consider minimal weight in the pass through storage. All travel was on provincial highways and speeds were kept at or below the posted speed limit primarily due to fuel costs. Just myself and spouse so no significant contents over and above the normal things. Nothing on the back bumper other than the OEM spare tire. I believe there have been cracked frame and broken weld issues with GD before but not sure if any of them involved the Imagine XLS. I will be placing a call to them but wanted to get any feedback first from members here who may have some experience with this sort of issue.

Also, and unrelated to the frame cracks, I had a weld break on one of the two cross pieces that the battery boxes rest on. I was fortunate that only 1 of the 4 welds let loose as the one battery box was being held in place by the 2 screws into the cross piece and it was hanging precariously, somewhat supported by the propane line directly underneath it. Much further down the road I'm sure the entire set up would have given way, taking both batteries and the propane line with it. I secured the cross pieces well enough to get me back home but will have a welder strengthen things up properly. Might be a head's up for owners to double check the welds in this area.

Thanks for any feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3317.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	43214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3315.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	43215
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2018 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4

"The simplest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    I'll take a closer look at mine. I did look for the cross member flexing/bending in this area at I saw in another thread. Do you have any deformity other than the cracks?
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is quite a bit of rust throughout suggesting these are old. Could you have hit a really bad hole or section of road on a previous trip?
    Last edited by Rabbit; 09-26-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Interesting.
    I'll take a closer look at mine. I did look for the cross member flexing/bending in this area at I saw in another thread. Do you have any deformity other than the cracks?
    You can't see it in the pics but each frame member has a very slight bulge outward right at the crack/broken weld. Hardly noticeable with the eye but if you run your fingers along the side you can feel the bulge. No other deformity that I can see.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    There is quite a bit of rust throughout suggesting these are old. Could you have hit a really bad hole or section of road on a previous trip?

Other than towing it home from the dealer to the storage lot last fall and then back to my house this spring, it hasn't been on the road until we took our trip this summer. I do know that the broken welds/cracks were not there when I purchased it nor when I departed on our trip this summer. The rust I believe is a bit misleading. We spent about 7 weeks on the east coast around the ocean and I'm convinced that even rubber will rust in that environment! I've noticed other metal items that were exposed, i.e. screw heads are showing surface rust. There was no one pot hole that was memorable however some highways were much worse than others. We did 21,400 kilometres over 75 days so there was no shortage of questionable highways.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to talk to GD customer service, assuming you bought this new.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll guess these cracks are from stresses on the frame when backing up and/or taking sharpe front turns. The c-beam flexes causing the cracks. Time to box that section of the frame.

At least that looks like a c-beam. Probably need some photos from a distance rather than just the close close-ups.

I'm basing this guess on my experience with cracks in the webbing of my I-beams last summer. The shop that boxed my frame (about 6 to 8 feet of it on each side over the axels) said mine was from stresses produced when turning (forward and backwards).

Best get your rig to a good welding shop.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately where you bought it used the structural warranty is null and void

I would just get a local welding shop to fix it up
    Wouldn’t cost a lot
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends where you live I guess, but that looks like pretty new/minimal rust to me?
    I would drill the end of the crack to stop it from progressing, then get it welded up. If under warranty still, call GD first of course.
    I know you don't like seeing it, but, pretty small job to fix up really. If you were close by I'd do it for free. But i'm in Ontario....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'll guess these cracks are from stresses on the frame when backing up and/or taking sharpe front turns. The c-beam flexes causing the cracks. Time to box that section of the frame.

At least that looks like a c-beam. Probably need some photos from a distance rather than just the close close-ups.

I'm basing this guess on my experience with cracks in the webbing of my I-beams last summer. The shop that boxed my frame (about 6 to 8 feet of it on each side over the axels) said mine was from stresses produced when turning (forward and backwards).

Best get your rig to a good welding shop.
    Interesting point for sure. No doubt I've had some tight turns, especially backing into rv sites that are not pull through. Some parks have lots of room to manoeuvre, some don't. I've ruled out too much weight and no significant pot holes at speed so I guess this is a possibility. You'd think though that if tight backing turns cause this much stress on the frame that broken welds and cracked steel would be common place. I'll search out a good welding shop and go from there.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast