Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange Hot Water Heater Issue

I own a 2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE. While under warranty I have had intermittent problems with the water heater. When I have it on electric from time to time the DSI light comes on and when it does the electric side stops heating the water. Usually when I turn the electric switch on and off it resolves the issue. It can go a whole week without issue and then resurfaces. I have had it looked at where I purchased the unit but they could not find any problems I've had the safety fuse replaced by a mobile RV service while camping in Colorado at a cost of $324 for the service call, diagnosis and parts . It worked for that week and the same issue happened again a week later. This last time neither the gas or electric would work. I went camping a couple of weeks ago for 8 days, no issues. I am now camping in Texas and last night while set on electric only, I heard the gas ignite to heat the water. I turned the electric switch off and on and the gas ignited again. The gas switch was off. So I tuned the electric off for the night. I put it on this morning on electric and its working as designed. I'm thinking its a faulty switch or short. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked for loose wires? A good place to start is with the manufacturer of the water heater. If it's a Domestic, we have had great luck with talking to their service support people for troubleshooting.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I haven't checked for loose wires yet but I will. I also plan to call the manufacturer, appreciate the input!

Mike

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh - with issue like that I would suspect a bad logic board. But, as suggested, a good check of all the wires is in order; at both the control panel and at the heater itself.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG17MKE View Post
    I own a 2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE. While under warranty I have had intermittent problems with the water heater. When I have it on electric from time to time the DSI light comes on and when it does the electric side stops heating the water. Usually when I turn the electric switch on and off it resolves the issue. It can go a whole week without issue and then resurfaces. I have had it looked at where I purchased the unit but they could not find any problems I've had the safety fuse replaced by a mobile RV service while camping in Colorado at a cost of $324 for the service call, diagnosis and parts . It worked for that week and the same issue happened again a week later. This last time neither the gas or electric would work. I went camping a couple of weeks ago for 8 days, no issues. I am now camping in Texas and last night while set on electric only, I heard the gas ignite to heat the water. I turned the electric switch off and on and the gas ignited again. The gas switch was off. So I tuned the electric off for the night. I put it on this morning on electric and its working as designed. I'm thinking its a faulty switch or short. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
    For the second time in six years I had to replace my main circuit board. This time I went with the Dinosaur board and not the Chinese brand. They come with a three year warranty and seems better built. By the way, everything else checked out after testing so it had to be the board. Turns out it was.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display