User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    This helps a lot, after this weekend 18-24MPH side winds, no idea how high the guests were I started to think about the ProPride, sounds like I will save my money for now.

Thanks you.
    It definitely helps but physics is physics. You don't get that tail wagging the dog effect but the whole rig, truck and trailer, will move around in the lane with strong side winds. I'd still much rather have the ProPride than not. The 5th-wheel-like towing behavior in wind is better than the alternative.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are heading to PA for a week long trip on Saturday. Wife is concerned because they forecast rain and 50 MPH winds. How bad will that be pulling the RV? I do have experience with winds and it tends to blow you around a little but nothing too bad.
    I agree with most of the responses you've gotten... 50mph is too much for your setup. But another consideration is the damage you might do to your rig in those conditions. This summer I was towing in S. Dakota with a 40+ mph cross wind. That wind tore off my awning arm cover and almost ripped off the plastic wheel well covers on both sides of my rig.

Several hundred $$ later... was it worth it?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We've capped our limit to 30mph. Even at that, it's not a pleasant or relaxing ride especially if the roads are wet. If we absolutely have to travel above that, then we'll take the side or service roads.
    For sure. Have been fighting crosswinds from Wyoming to Ohio. It takes a toll just to keep in between the lines and tired me out quickly - glad I had short runs each day. South Dakota down to western Nebraska and then east were the worst but almost 2k miles of constantly correcting with 18 wheelers flying by and their tails have been wagging a lot too. Checked the weather continuously and max for us was about 25mph and it wasn't pleasant.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    For sure. Have been fighting crosswinds from Wyoming to Ohio. It takes a toll just to keep in between the lines and tired me out quickly - glad I had short runs each day. South Dakota down to western Nebraska and then east were the worst but almost 2k miles of constantly correcting with 18 wheelers flying by and their tails have been wagging a lot too. Checked the weather continuously and max for us was about 25mph and it wasn't pleasant.
    A couple years ago traveling home across Arizona & Nevada we were in some heavy winds. Stopped in Beatty for the night they got so bad. Before we left the next morning, I filled the freshwater tank for ballast. It helped but when I'm pulling down on the steering wheel one way or the other & pull harder with gusts it's a little unnerving, even with a dually. A two-day drive home ended up taking 3 1/2 but got home upright.
    Of course, Solitudes, & Momentums are 13 foot tall billboards.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Grand Design recommends in the ballpark of 40mph max. We don’t like and have cancelled travel days over 30mph.

That said our previous trailer survived a cat 2 hurricane taken broadside. Slide in, stabilizers down, water in tank. We cooked out of it for three days waiting for power to come back on in the house. But I certainly wasn’t towing in that!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would not even consider more than 30mph. That would be the absolute max. Not worth the risk.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We canceled the trip and took the loss. We decided to go local for our last trip. Chances are the storm won't hit but as you said. Error on the side of caution.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a huge rig, and a Dually, and 50mph is about the top I would do only if I had too. 20-30 mph is plenty of work, and if there is alot of traffic its not a fun pull. I am aligned with the others that if you dont have to go, or the weather changes I would be flexible and error on the side of caution.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you canceled!

No way that would have been safe with that light a truck.

I have had folks laugh at my rig - but I have traveled through 35-40 mph cross-winds and not realized it was windy, until I opened the door at a rest stop and the wind nearly snatched the door off its hinges.

There are benefits to having a truck nearly as heavy as your trailer (8000# vs. 9000#) and a lower-profile travel trailer.

A Hensley or a Pro-Pride are a must, for me.

The cost of either is well worth it!

Glad you are staying safe and enjoy your alternate trip!

2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing I put on my F-150 was air bags. Took a lot of sway away pulling my 2800BH. You just have slow down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast