User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50 MPH winds too much?

We are heading to PA for a week long trip on Saturday. Wife is concerned because they forecast rain and 50 MPH winds. How bad will that be pulling the RV? I do have experience with winds and it tends to blow you around a little but nothing too bad.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are heading to PA for a week long trip on Saturday. Wife is concerned because they forecast rain and 50 MPH winds. How bad will that be pulling the RV? I do have experience with winds and it tends to blow you around a little but nothing too bad.
    With your setup I'd be uncomfortable doing it if it'sthat high a wind speed consistently, especially if it's head or broadside winds. Every tow setup is a little different, though.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be comfortable pulling a travel trailer if the winds were sustained at 45 - 50 MPH, either - especially if the roads are wet. We've pulled in west Texas and SoCal with those kinds of winds (and gusts even higher), but the 45 - 50 wasn't sustained and we were pulling a fifth wheel. If the trip is optional, err on the side of caution.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gusts to 30 MPH or so are about the max I'd want to do any distance towing in. I've done that a few times and even with the ProPride, I was sawing at the wheel a fair bit. It wasn't a nice relaxed drive. 50 MPH is more than I'd attempt personally.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a lot of wind for a lightweight travel trailer. I've been in 60 but with a heavy 5th wheel which tend to be more stable (though also a much higher profile) and a HD truck, other than the 4mpg it was fine. I think a gusty wind could be worse.

You'll know pretty quick if you're comfortable enough pulling in it
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion that is way too high unless maybe head or tail the entire way. side or angled is asking for trouble.

You are about 2' shorter then me but you don't give any truck details either. This past weekend we had 18-24 MPH side winds per the weather channel and it was pretty unstable. I got off the interstate ASAP and took slower roads and drove under the limit and there was still a lot of movement but didn't feel as unsafe. Apparently we had the same as a head wind starting out truck pulled well but very poor mileage.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Gusts to 30 MPH or so are about the max I'd want to do any distance towing in. I've done that a few times and even with the ProPride, I was sawing at the wheel a fair bit. It wasn't a nice relaxed drive. 50 MPH is more than I'd attempt personally.
    This helps a lot, after this weekend 18-24MPH side winds, no idea how high the guests were I started to think about the ProPride, sounds like I will save my money for now.

Thanks you.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much did your trailer cost?
    How much did your tow vehicle cost?
    What value do you put on your life and the life of others in your vehicle and those on the road around you?

Heed the advise of Second Chance .... "err on the side of caution". A couple nights staying where you are is a cheap solution to buy down the risk.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with an F150 and wouldn’t chance 50mph cross winds.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've capped our limit to 30mph. Even at that, it's not a pleasant or relaxing ride especially if the roads are wet. If we absolutely have to travel above that, then we'll take the side or service roads.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast