Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Momentum 349m or 351ms hauling

I am looking to get into camping. I have a 2023 gmc Sierra 3500. Without upgrading to a dually, will this truck safely haul these campers? If not at I limited to the g series momentum’s to get the weight down? I feel like I would run into max payload before I reach the max towable. Dealer is telling me to basically buy a camper that maxes out my capabilities, go figure.

Specs on the truck:
    Max GCWR - 29,700
    Max fifth wheel hitch - 21,300
    Max payload - 4,185

Momentum 349m specs:
    UVM - 13,600
    GVWR - 17,000
    Hitch weight - 2925

Momentum 351ms specs:
    UVM - 14,700
    GVWR - 16,800
    Hitch weight - 2,900

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetke007 View Post
    I am looking to get into camping. I have a 2023 gmc Sierra 3500. Without upgrading to a dually, will this truck safely haul these campers? If not at I limited to the g series momentum’s to get the weight down? I feel like I would run into max payload before I reach the max towable. Dealer is telling me to basically buy a camper that maxes out my capabilities, go figure.

Specs on the truck:
    Max GCWR - 29,700
    Max fifth wheel hitch - 21,300
    Max payload - 4,185

Momentum 349m specs:
    UVM - 13,600
    GVWR - 17,000
    Hitch weight - 2925

Momentum 351ms specs:
    UVM - 14,700
    GVWR - 16,800
    Hitch weight - 2,900
    A couple of things here. 1. 99.9% of the time, a truck that is towing a 5th Wheel Camping trailer will run out of payload capacity long before hitting the towing capacity of the truck. 2. The payload capacity for YOUR truck is located on the driver side door post and is the actual payload numbers for YOUR truck. NEVER go by brochure numbers or website numbers.....the sticker on the truck is the gospel for the actual payload numbers.

If that isn't where you got the truck payload info from, you need to check it and see what it says....BEFORE you go any further.

Another thing to know, the published pin weights for those trailers is the "empty" pin weight. That number is before the propane is added and before a battery is installed in the trailer.....and of course, before you start loading the trailer with your stuff.

A decent way to estimate what the pin weight will look like is to use the GVWR of the trailer and multiply that weight times at LEAST 20%. Many times the pin weight will be anywhere from 20% up to sometimes close to 25% of what the trailer weighs.

An example.....GVWR of 17,000 lbs time 20% will equal 3400 lbs of pin weight. Then you have to add up everything else that the truck will carry.....the 5ver hitch, passengers, maybe a toolbox in the bed of the truck, firewood, etc. Anything and everything that goes in/on the truck. Normally, the weight of a full fuel tank is already taken into account, as well as using the weight for a driver (150 lbs), but beyond that, anything and everything else has to be added up and taken off of the sticker payload number.
    Last edited by xrated; 09-28-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be OK with either of those models, but a lot will depend on how you plan to use it.

First, as Xrated recommended, you should check your door sticker. Some of the GMCs I have seen have a max pin weight that is less than the payload limit.

Second, a lot will depend on how you plan to use the vehicle. If you plan to have toys in the garage, then those will increase the trailer weight but actually decrease the pin weight since they are behind the axles. So having toys or other heavy items in the garage helps offset the increase in pin weight from groceries, clothes,...

Third, how you load the truck will also be a key factor. The more people in the truck the less payload you will have for pin weight. The posted payload is typically for a 150 lb driver, passenger, and a full tank of fuel. The hitch you choose will also be a factor. My Andersen hitch only weights 34 pounds while some of the others are between 150-200 pounds.

If you post some specifics on the above or DM me then I can offer better answers.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for the 349M, but you'll be over 17,000 lbs. easily with the 351, and you'd regret it if you didn't get the 8,000 lb. axles, which puts the GVWR at 18,000 lbs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you should be fine with either. I run a SRW 3500 and my 320G scales out to 18K with all the toys in the back and loaded up. FWIW my 320G optioned up weighs about 2K lbs more than the brochure indicated. Make sure you get the 8K lb axles. Brochure: 12,400 lbs. Scale: 14,120 lbs.

With that being said, we really liked the same 2 models. We ended up settling on the 320G because of the overall length and $$. The 351M has a very similar layout. It's very nice with the half bath and tv placement. Also be aware of what you are hauling. The 11' garage is really closer to 10' if you get the 3 season doors. I can fit a full bagger Harley or 2x 700 CC ATVs. The ATVs are a tight fit and heavy though. You start to reach the limits of a double axle once you start hauling over 1K lb toys on either of those 2 rigs you posted.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going with the 349m (bigger garage) with the 1/2 bath option. I went and took measurements at my local dealer of the garage to make sure my rzr will fit. I do have the 8k axels on my order. my rzr weighs 1600 lbs. I plan to stay more locally within my state as far as hauling goes until I get a feel for what I have. Eventually ill get a dually but for now I need to make this rig work safely.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going with the 349m (bigger garage) with the 1/2 bath option. I went and took measurements at my local dealer of the garage to make sure my rzr will fit. I do have the 8k axels on my order. my rzr weighs 1600 lbs. I plan to stay more locally within my state as far as hauling goes until I get a feel for what I have. Eventually ill get a dually but for now I need to make this rig work safely.
    So, I'm still curious about your payload numbers on the truck. You state the max payload is 4185 lbs and I'm asking.....is that a brochure number on what the max COULD be if properly equipped......or is that the number on the sticker of YOUR truck? Can you post a pic. or state what the payload number is on your truck....if it's something different than what you posted in your first post?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rzr is going to significantly reduce the pin weight. You will see posts here where people are trying to increase the pin weight when towing a SxS, so you should not have an issue with payload.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. That’s what the brochure says. I’m should be getting the 1 ton truck this month. I Currently have a 2500 truck and the brochure number is 3500lbs payload. The door says 3000lbs. I won’t be able to snap a pic of the 1 ton truck door until it comes in. But if it comes in with -500lbs less then the brochure like the 2500 truck is, I would be a couple hundred lbs away from max payload give or take.

I have upgrades on the trailer as well that increase tongue weight. How do you really know how much weight is on the pin? That pin weight of 2925lbs is calculated when the camper is fully loaded at max 17k lbs gvwr correct?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max pin weight at 17k lbs. would be in the neighborhood of 3,500 lbs., perhaps a bit more. The 2,925 lbs. is most likely dry weight. Basically a not a real world weight, since nobody travels that way.

My 351M has about 17% pin weight, around 2,950 lbs. So that toyhauler could be less than the max.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 10-11-2022 at 09:28 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast