Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetke007 View Post
    Good question. That’s what the brochure says. I’m should be getting the 1 ton truck this month. I Currently have a 2500 truck and the brochure number is 3500lbs payload. The door says 3000lbs. I won’t be able to snap a pic of the 1 ton truck door until it comes in. But if it comes in with -500lbs less then the brochure like the 2500 truck is, I would be a couple hundred lbs away from max payload give or take.

I have upgrades on the trailer as well that increase tongue weight. How do you really know how much weight is on the pin? That pin weight of 2925lbs is calculated when the camper is fully loaded at max 17k lbs gvwr correct?
    Published pin weight numbers are for a new trailer that is empty....just as it would be when coming off the end of the production line. Then, when the trailer gets to the dealer and they service it and get it ready to sell, they add propane to the tanks (two 30lb propane tanks) and they add a battery. Normally that published weight will go up at least 100 lbs, maybe more depending on what extras you have or get.

The reasoning behind publishing an empty pin weight number is because....that is what the trailer's pin weight is when it's empty. They have no idea how heavy or light that you, the customer will load the trailer. They also don't know where your stuff will be in the trailer, so it would be impossible to put a pin weight on it other than the actual empty pin weight. That is the reason that so many people will tell you that if you want to estimate what the pin weight will likely be close to, use the GVWR of the trailer (16,800 lbs in your case) and multiply that number times 20%....or 21% or even up to 25% in some cases. I would say on average, most 5th Wheel camping type trailers will be running in the low 20s for pin weight. Some are more than that, and some are a bit less. So it's pretty easy to see that a fully loaded trailer with a GVWR of 16,800 lbs can put just under 3400 lbs of pin weight on the truck. Then you have to add the weight of the hitch, the weight of anything and everything that goes in/on the truck (except for a 150 lb worth of driver and a full tank of fuel) and you could see the upper 30s as weight being put on the truck. That, is why I kept asking you what your actual pin weight was that is on the door sticker. I didn't realize that you don't have the truck yet, but I do now.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill need to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the feedback! Everything we have will be loaded in the garage part of the trailer and we will have virtually nothing in the truck. Maybe plan for a couple hundred pounds. Non the less it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just curious how people figure out what their actual pin weight is, rough calculations on paper can get you close, but after you start loading that trailer behind the rear axels and remove some pin weight im lost where i can get that number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill need to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the feedback! Everything we have will be loaded in the garage part of the trailer and we will have virtually nothing in the truck. Maybe plan for a couple hundred pounds. Non the less it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just curious how people figure out what their actual pin weight is, rough calculations on paper can get you close, but after you start loading that trailer behind the rear axels and remove some pin weight im lost where i can get that number.
    The only way to know is to weigh it on a scale. Weigh the truck first, without the trailer, then weigh it again with the trailer hooked up. The difference between the truck weight without the trailer vs with the trailer is the pin weight.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking to get into camping. I have a 2023 gmc Sierra 3500. Without upgrading to a dually, will this truck safely haul these campers? If not at I limited to the g series momentum’s to get the weight down? I feel like I would run into max payload before I reach the max towable. Dealer is telling me to basically buy a camper that maxes out my capabilities, go figure.

Specs on the truck:
    Max GCWR - 29,700
    Max fifth wheel hitch - 21,300
    Max payload - 4,185

Momentum 349m specs:
    UVM - 13,600
    GVWR - 17,000
    Hitch weight - 2925

Momentum 351ms specs:
    UVM - 14,700
    GVWR - 16,800
    Hitch weight - 2,900

Just passing on some numbers, our unit runs right at about 3200-3300 on pin but other 351 owners have posted up to 3800. All depends on what on how you load. Regarding reduction in pin when loaded with a toy, for every 1,000lbs in the garage you lose roughly 100lbs pin weight (someone better with numbers figured it out on paper). I have seen this exact reduction when I load our Harley or Polaris. Of course this is for dual axle not triple axles. Also, with both of our fuel tanks full, no water, our unit is about 300lbs shy of max axle ratings (7k) but still plenty of weight left before hitting max GVWR.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    Just passing on some numbers, our unit runs right at about 3200-3300 on pin but other 351 owners have posted up to 3800. All depends on what on how you load. Regarding reduction in pin when loaded with a toy, for every 1,000lbs in the garage you lose roughly 100lbs pin weight (someone better with numbers figured it out on paper). I have seen this exact reduction when I load our Harley or Polaris. Of course this is for dual axle not triple axles. Also, with both of our fuel tanks full, no water, our unit is about 300lbs shy of max axle ratings (7k) but still plenty of weight left before hitting max GVWR.
    Do you have the 8,000 lb. axles? I noticed you have the disc brakes. Our 351M weighs 17,500 lbs. with the Spyder and the Interceptor loaded. That is with no water, and one of the fuel tanks half full. Pretty easy to run over the GVWR of 16,800 lbs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Do you have the 8,000 lb. axles? I noticed you have the disc brakes. Our 351M weighs 17,500 lbs. with the Spyder and the Interceptor loaded. That is with no water, and one of the fuel tanks half full. Pretty easy to run over the GVWR of 16,800 lbs.
    I still have 7K axles but ordered the disc brakes with the larger bearings.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12